Floodlight cam lights go on every 30 mins for about 20 secs?

my flood lights go on every 30 mins for about 20 secs then go off this has been going on for about a wek now. you could set your clock by them so I dont think its motion its picking up. any one have this happen?

3 Likes

I am also having one of my three flood light camera’s randomly. It does not send an alert, just goes on.

2 Likes

Hey @watt and @DocFox! With the Floodlight Cam having a 270-degree field of view for lights, it is possible that something outside of your zones is being detected. I recommend minimizing the light zones and sensitivity to the minimum to see if this improves. Also, check the surrounding area for any heat sources that could be triggering the lights on your Cams. Let us know how this goes. :slight_smile:

Watt,

I’m having the exact same problem!!! Ring support told me that they have not heard of this problem before… have you called ring support about this?

When did you get your cameras? I installed two replacement floodlight cameras this past Thursday 11/14. They both have manufacture dates of October 2019. The floodlights on both floodlight cams go on every 30 minutes on the DOT ( just the lights, not the cameras) all night long. I went into light settings and turned down the light timer to 30 secs so as to not waste electricity and burn out the bulbs.

They are not being triggered by anything external, which wouldn’t make sense anyway for such precision in the repetition. Adjusting the sensitivity does not stop it. Besides, I wouldn’t want to turn down sensitivity because that defeats the purpose of having automatic motion sensitivity.

I’ve spent the last four days trying to figure out what’s going on, and I’ve spent hours on the phone with ring support. They have not been able to figure it out yet.

Also, my floodlight cams are on firmware version 1.16.00273, and also for unknown reasons they are unable to update the firmware. And they are both also unable to connect to Pro chimes.

What version is your firmware? And were you able to connect to Pro chimes?

If you have not already done so, please call ring support and let them know that you’re having this issue.

3 Likes

I am having the same issue. Lights go on exactly every 30 minutes.

Is there anybody from support team to help us with this?

@Vazgen

Thanks for your reply.

After calling Ring support several times over a couple days, I was able to speak directly with a Level 2 on Saturday night, and we spent about 2 hours troubleshooting and running various tests. He escalated (to software engineers).

I’ve emailed a link to this thread to the Level 2 that is working on this. His shift doesn’t start until 11 AM MST, so hopefully, it will help if they realize that I am not the only one with these issues. I thought from the beginning that it’s a bad batch of cameras because both my floodlights have this issue.

What’s been determined is

1. It is NOT related to the sensitivity (distance) setting in the light settings. Thus not related to external motion triggers. This has been tested more than three times by me and then by Ring. To me, reducing the functionality of the lights would not be an acceptable solution, as then an intruder would practically be in your house by the time the lights kick on. There would be not light deterrent and little hope that you get a decent picture of the intruder.

2. It is not due to electrical issues.

3. Neither of my floodlight cameras are able to update the firmware, even through a cellphone hotspot.

What is the firmware version for your floodlight(s)?

@Vazgen wrote:

@meme

Thanks for your reply. How do I find the Firmware version?

I bought the device 2 weeks ago.

@meme wrote:

@Vazgen

Thanks for your reply.

After calling Ring support several times over a couple days, I was able to speak directly with a Level 2 on Saturday night, and we spent about 2 hours troubleshooting and running various tests. He escalated (to software engineers).

I’ve emailed a link to this thread to the Level 2 that is working on this. His shift doesn’t start until 11 AM MST, so hopefully, it will help if they realize that I am not the only one with these issues. I thought from the beginning that it’s a bad batch of cameras because both my floodlights have this issue.

What’s been determined is

1. It is NOT related to the sensitivity (distance) setting in the light settings. Thus not related to external motion triggers. This has been tested more than three times by me and then by Ring. To me, reducing the functionality of the lights would not be an acceptable solution, as then an intruder would practically be in your house by the time the lights kick on. There would be not light deterrent and little hope that you get a decent picture of the intruder.

2. It is not due to electrical issues.

3. Neither of my floodlight cameras are able to update the firmware, even through a cellphone hotspot.

What is the firmware version for your floodlight(s)?

@Vazgen wrote:

1 Like

@Vazgen

I am on an android phone Ring app. I assume an iphone will be similar.

The firmware version is in “Device Health.” There are a couple ways to get to “Device Health” for each device. Here is one way.

1. Click on the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner of the app.
  2. This should pull out a left-side menu.
  3. Click on “Devices.”
  4. Then in the “Security Cameras” section of the screen, click on your floodlight cam, which should take you to a settings dashboard for that camera
  5. Click on “Device Health”
  6. In the “Device Details” section of the screen, the last line shows “Firmware.” For example, my firmware version is 1.16.00273

There doesn’t seem to be a way to get to it from a web browser when logged in.

2 Likes

I installed a new floodlight camera yesterday and it is doing the same with the light coming on every thirty minutes for about 20 seconds. It did this all night. When I check the FW version in the IOS App it simply states that it is up to date.

2 Likes

I have the same issue - floodlight cam light is going on all night long. I have turned down the light sensor to almost nothing and it is still going on all night long.

This is a defect and Ring needs to acknowledge it. I have older versions of the floodlight cam and they work fine; it’s this new version.

I cannot see my firmware version - on my Device Details all it says is that my firmware is up to date.

1 Like

@meme wrote:

@Vazgen

I am on an android phone Ring app. I assume an iphone will be similar.

The firmware version is in “Device Health.” There are a couple ways to get to “Device Health” for each device. Here is one way.

1. Click on the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner of the app.
  2. This should pull out a left-side menu.
  3. Click on “Devices.”
  4. Then in the “Security Cameras” section of the screen, click on your floodlight cam, which should take you to a settings dashboard for that camera
  5. Click on “Device Health”
  6. In the “Device Details” section of the screen, the last line shows “Firmware.” For example, my firmware version is 1.16.00273

There doesn’t seem to be a way to get to it from a web browser when logged in.

Firmware on my device is 1.16.00273

I am going to contact Ring right now.

@CLP

@kjohnrussell

Thanks for your reply about your firmware. I looked it up on the Ring website; I can see my firmware version because it needs to be updated:

• If your firmware is up-to-date, it will say “Up to date.”
  • If there is a number, your firmware needs to be updated. Your device should update automatically after the next time there is an event (Motion, Ring, or Live View).

That was one potential theory that it was related to not being able to successfully update the firmware, or that the floodlight cams are resetting every 30 minutes because it’s trying (and failing) to update the firmware. So, if the two of you have the latest firmware, it doesn’t support that theory… and that means my new floodlight cams have many problems…

My two new floodlight cams were placing two previous floodlight cams installed around 2017/2018 (with older hardware) for which the microphone stopped working after a couple months; speakers were poor; and connectivity seemed weaker. But there were no issues with automatic triggering of lights or failure to update firmware.

Level 2 Ring Solutions Advisor reached out to me at around 11 AM MST when he got in this morning to say that he would read this thread and check on status. I’ll let you know if I hear anything new…

@CLP wrote:

I installed a new floodlight camera yesterday and it is doing the same with the light coming on every thirty minutes for about 20 seconds. It did this all night. When I check the FW version in the IOS App it simply states that it is up to date.

@Vazgen

Thanks for providing your firmware. We have the same one, and it seems that your camera is not updating either. Thanks for contacting Ring Customer Service as well. It’ll be interesting to see if they indicate that they are aware of it…

@Vazgen wrote:

Firmware on my device is 1.16.00273

I am going to contact Ring right now.

My Firmware says up to date also

When I get to that spot, all it says is Up To Date, no version number.

So, per your other post, my firmware is current.

@watt @kjohnrussell Thank you for providing your firmware status.

Last night, I sent an email to Level 2 to provide an update/summary on the firmware status of all of us. I also sent another email to let them know that the camera on one of my floodlight cams was triggered last night, but the lights were not (by cat in that visits the neighbohood). So, it was just a video based on night vision. I’m just trying to provide Ring observations (i.e., data points) to see if it will help with the troubleshooting. I would have expected that when motion triggers the camera in the dark, that it would automatically turn on the lights, but it did not. Has anyone else experienced this? My floodlights were installed last Thursday, so I don’t have a lot of time with these new ones. But they replaced previous floodlight cams that were have audio problems.

I have not heard back from Ring regarding any updates. I suspect that the issue is broader than just our floodlight cams. There is another thread where Ring Video Doorbell 2’s are being triggered at regular intervals, and there is no visible motion in front of the camera. It sounds a lot like our issue but with a completely different device. Anyway, I sent Level 2 an email about this thread as well, as I think it’s too much of a coincidence. I have a Ring’s Video Doorbell 2 but have not yet experienced this issue… knock on wood…

It does seem that they were doing some testing on one of my floodlight cams last night. When the floodlight cam is reset (power cycled) by either Ring or me (turning off/on by light switch), the 30 minute light cycle is reset. And I did notice that one of my floodlight cams was activiting the lights at a different time cycle. So, hopefully, this does mean that they are working on it…

I’ll update this thread if I hear anything new. Please do the same. Thanks!

@watt wrote:

My Firmware says up to date also

1 Like

I also noticed last night that my 30 min time has changed was 18 mins past and 12 mins of the hr. Now its 25 mins after and 5 mins before the hr. so far tonight its runnug the same times as of 5:25 pm eastern time

@watt

Interesting… Did anyone in your household hit the light switch for the floodlight cams?

I’ve done it by mistake before… I wonder if they are testing on yours. I would have thought that they would tell you, or ask your permission. I was told not to change my settings at the end of my Level 2 troubleshooting, so I assumed that they would be testing on one my floodlight cams… So far, the timing only changes on one of my floodlight cams, and the other has remained the same since my Level 2 testing on Saturday.

@watt wrote:

I also noticed last night that my 30 min time has changed was 18 mins past and 12 mins of the hr. Now its 25 mins after and 5 mins before the hr. so far tonight its runnug the same times as of 5:25 pm eastern time

Its just the wife an I and we did not touch the switch. But I can not say if maybe the street power did not maybe go out for a sec or 2. none of the clocks were blinking so I dont think that happen. I got mine on fri the 27th of oct and installed it that sunday the 29th They had me turn the light motion dwn to the min and they did not come this was at the beging. but that was no good they never came on so now I have them set just into the grey area on the diagram

@watt

When I get an email back from Ring Level 2, I will ask if he knows whether they are doing testing on the floodlight cams of others in this thread. Or is the shifting of the timing a new symptom…?

All the evidence that we have thus far is very clear that the automatic 30 minute light triggering is NOT related to the light sensitivity setting or external motion triggers. You should set the sensitivity however you want.

For security purposes, the floodlights (and camera) should go on as soon as possible when someone/thing enters your property. I have one floodlight cam set at max sensitivty, and the other floodlight cam Ring set at less than half during their testing on the weekend. So, I’ve left the one at half senstivity per Ring’s request; otherwise, they would both be set max sensitivity. But both floodlight cams still trigger every 30 minutes…

@watt wrote:

Its just the wife an I and we did not touch the switch. But I can not say if maybe the street power did not maybe go out for a sec or 2. none of the clocks were blinking so I dont think that happen. I got mine on fri the 27th of oct and installed it that sunday the 29th They had me turn the light motion dwn to the min and they did not come this was at the beging. but that was no good they never came on so now I have them set just into the grey area on the diagram

1 Like