Floodlight cam lights go on every 30 mins for about 20 secs?

Hi All,

I observed my two day old set of floods last night.

1. I had light sensitivity to the lower setting. Turned of one of the light zones

2. Human mode on

I had my both the lights go on every 20 minutes for 20 seconds. It was very coordinated switch on. My back yard light will go on for 20 seconds and once it is off my front light will go on. I observed this for 3 times.

I am sure it is firmware/software glitch trying to conect back to network (internet or ring network) which triggers the lights.

I am assuming Ring is reading this baord and will fix this quickly.

Does anyone know how long the light bulb life is ? With this rate they may not last long.

My newest floodlight has all of the following issues:

1. Won’t update past 1.16.00273

2. Won’t connect to my Chime Pro network

3. Random light coming on and off issues as others have reported

4. Doesn’t follow my programmed light schedule

5. Snapshot capture doesn’t work. The timeline across a day just shows a black unavailable bar.

I have installed a total of 3 floodlight cameras in the past 2 months and only this most recent one has these issues.

Ring shipped me a replacement for the one with issues however based on this thread I’m reluctant to swap it as others have already done so and it doesn’t appear to have corrected the issue.

HI All,

Spent 30-40 minutes with Ring support on Phone. First reponder did basis system reset. Finally I requested for senior support person. Level 2 person told me Ring is aware about this issue and working on to resolve this. I should hear from them in 3 business days. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

i spoke to level 2 as well today - they are well aware of a small number of cams being impacted by this issue due to a bug in the latest firmware - working on a fix - no eta

they’ve agreed to ship me replacements - and have started processing the request - 7 to 10 business days.

The Ring explanation of this issue due to a bug in the latest firmware doesn’t quite make sense, as some of the floodlight cams are stuck on an older firmware version and unable to update. Also, I found a couple of reviews on Amazon that described having this exact problem back around July/ August of this year.

I too am concerned about the impact this is having on the longevity of the lights. They claim that led lights can last 10 years or more, but I’ve had several LED lights burn out after a year or two. There are threads and Amazon reviews that complain about the floodlights failing after a year or two.

@shalomthomas wrote:

i spoke to level 2 as well today - they are well aware of a small number of cams being impacted by this issue due to a bug in the latest firmware - working on a fix - no eta

they’ve agreed to ship me replacements - and have started processing the request - 7 to 10 business days.

Snapshot capture has not worked on any of my 4 four defective floodlight cams either. Ring’s response was that it hasn’t rolled out to all devices yet, as they are rolling it out in stages… the rep was not able to provide any further information (e.g., timing)…

@roblewis011 wrote:

My newest floodlight has all of the following issues:

1. Won’t update past 1.16.00273

2. Won’t connect to my Chime Pro network

3. Random light coming on and off issues as others have reported

4. Doesn’t follow my programmed light schedule

5. Snapshot capture doesn’t work. The timeline across a day just shows a black unavailable bar.

I have installed a total of 3 floodlight cameras in the past 2 months and only this most recent one has these issues.

Ring shipped me a replacement for the one with issues however based on this thread I’m reluctant to swap it as others have already done so and it doesn’t appear to have corrected the issue.

It looks like I have the same issue.

I have 2 flood cams, one from bestbuy and the other from Costco and it’s the Costco one that has similar issues. I can’t confirm if the lights come on every 30 mins as it’s on a side of the house that I don’t normally see but:

• stuck on firmware 1.16.00273

• flood cam does not connect to the chime pro that came with it

I have a wired spotlight camera that I bought over 2 years ago and Ring told me that only devices purchased after a date in October of this year would work with the new snapshot capture feature which is why I didn’t even have the option in the app. I didn’t believe them so I removed the old camera from my app and re-ran setup and sure enough my old spotlight camera now works with snapshot capture just fine. If this worked on an existing old device ring said it wouldn’t work on surely it should work on officially supported devices with an entirely new setup too.

I get the impression that general Ring support doesn’t really have a grasp on what’s going on here.

1 Like

Since last night our cams now go on at random and less than the usual 30 min interval.

My replacements have arrived (no guarantee that it will fix the issue) - our electrician will come over only on Saturday to make the swap.

@shalomthomasGood luck with the replacement! Please let us know how it works out.

This is getting beyond frustrating… Since the two replacements were installed on Monday, the timing of the cycle has changed a each night, but still every 30 minutes. Before the timing of the cycle only seemed to change when the devices were reset, either by me or by Ring. I kind of doubt that Ring is doing testing on the devices, certainly not both.

Tonight the new wrinkle is that one of the floodlights now turns on TWICE in a row. Right after the light turns off, it turms back on immediately for another 20-30 seconds. But only one is doing that. Has anyone else noticed this behaviour with their floodlight cams?

I can’t tell if its because these replacements are behaving differently, the devices are deteriorating, or Ring did something to the systems. The level 2 who was supposed to be my contact on this issue did not reply to my email. The person who replied instead of Level 2 on Tuesday said that I should contact him if I needed any more assistance. However, he has not replied to my followup email asking about status and how they will push out a fix if our devices aren’t able to up date firmware.

Has anyone heard anything further from Ring?

@shalomthomas wrote:

Since last night our cams now go on at random and less than the usual 30 min interval.

My replacements have arrived (no guarantee that it will fix the issue) - our electrician will come over only on Saturday to make the swap.

This was a great post!

I removed my wired cam and re-connected it and got the snapshot functionality!

That’s awesome! I would have just assumed I don’t get it on the older cams, but now I do!

Thanks for figuring this out and posting it!! Great help!

I’ve done more rounds with their tech support.

Seems that my flood cam can connect to the chime pro but still some of the same issues as others:

• firmware can’t be updated. stuck on 1.16.00273

• snap shot doesn’t work

They keep asking for me to try changing the wifi network but enter the same network settings, reset, trigger an event, trigger live view, etc.

They were also asking how far away the flood cam is from my router. I told them that it’s within 10 feet and there’s a fully functional flood cam 20 ft away with an up to date firmware.

I’m close to just returning this, and also the one that works.

It’s been raining here and I noticed that there’s water drops within the motion sensor.

Swapping my floodlight cam with the replacement and it’s on the same code version 1.16.00273 and not updating like the last one. How frustrating.

Last I heard they are still working on the coding the fix. Hopefully a fix will go out in the next week or so…

New cam just installed - seeing about the same issue. Cam is on the side of the shop building so not in any direct line of sight, but seemed last noght after install to turn the ligts on periodically without any alerts. Lights were on this morning when I let the dogs out. Since there is a house across the street, and the way the shop driveway points, randon bights flooding the neighbor is unacceptable. The only “fix” is to point the one light on that side down and limit it’s effectiveness. Can’t see the firmware viersion on the Android app, just says “up to date”. As a tech guy, that rubs be wrong - along with only the simplsitic DIY support docs and cutsie videos vs any detailed system info being available. Whatever version is in this particular cam seems to need a power cycle before being fully functional. After setup, none of the motion triggers worked until the cam was power cycled.

@DK_RingUser wrote:

New cam just installed - seeing about the same issue. Cam is on the side of the shop building so not in any direct line of sight, but seemed last noght after install to turn the ligts on periodically without any alerts. Lights were on this morning when I let the dogs out. Since there is a house across the street, and the way the shop driveway points, randon bights flooding the neighbor is unacceptable. The only “fix” is to point the one light on that side down and limit it’s effectiveness. Can’t see the firmware viersion on the Android app, just says “up to date”. As a tech guy, that rubs be wrong - along with only the simplsitic DIY support docs and cutsie videos vs any detailed system info being available. Whatever version is in this particular cam seems to need a power cycle before being fully functional. After setup, none of the motion triggers worked until the cam was power cycled.

It sounds like your’s is working if firmware shows “up to date”. It only shows version number if it’s old.

With the lights turning on, it might be because the motion sensor captured motion that the camera doesn’t deem to be an incident. This flood cam still operates like a traditional one but you can tweak the motion sensor sensitivity. Ring’s UI is not designed well and I too was first confused on why the lights turn on randomly when camera captures no incidents.

If you navigate to your flood cam, go to Device Settings -> Light Settings -> motion Zones for Lights, you can tweak distance and turn on/off zones. What Ring doesnt tell you is what the min / max range means in turns of actual distance values in feet. You’ll have to play around with it.

1 Like

HI All,

Update for all ( Nothing New)

I managed to get talk to level 2 again ( With lot of push they came on line). They have nothing else to update than what most of you reported. Ring is working on fixing this issue. No ETA.

I was offered replacement with no assurance of issue being resolved with new lights. I am holding on to replacment. Dont want to spend money on Handy man for another installation.

I am thinking about going to BBB and some consumer report organization. Has anyone done this ?

1 Like

Has anyones replacement actually corrected the issue?

1 Like

I have two floodlight cams fitted in the last 2 weeks and both mine have the issue with the lights coming on every 30 mins. One of my cameras has had water ingress already which has impacted the siren and it’s also making a clicking noise from the speaker constantly. I’ve got a replacement for this due to be fitted in the next 2 days. I’ll let you know whether this has the same problem once fitted.

Same issue here (uk) lights on every 30 minutes exactly so not a motion activation. Device bought from amazon.co.uk in black Friday sales. Was showing as firmware up to date now shows as 2.1.01005 in android app