Floodlight cam lights go on every 30 mins for about 20 secs?

@Nacho wrote:

I think I’m talking to a bot, but…

What we need to know is whether these Ring Floodlights stuck at 1.16.00273 are bricks or not.

Ring remains silent on this matter. If it were true, Ring could say that the firmware-stuck Floodlights will update to a newer version and provide an estimated timeframe. So therefore I conclude that my Ring Floodlight will never update, is a brick, and is to be returned to Best Buy.

With no meaningful insights from Ring on whether these are bricks or not and the continued problems that I’m having with the Ring Floodlight (lights coming on every 30 minutes, no Snapshot Capture, and no Color Night Vision) I’ve decided to ring in the new year by taking Ring out of my home.

My camera with these issues finally updated last night around 9PM MST and now shows up to date. Snapshot capture appears to be working now.

@roblewis011 Thanks for the update! At least that’s progress… I think that’s two of you now that have updated firmware…

I just checked both my foodlight cams. Still same old firmware (1.16.00273) and no snapshots. Last night, both floodlights were going on/off all night long.

Were you able to see if the floodlights were going on/off last night? Have you tried to connect to your chime pros?

@roblewis011 wrote:
My camera with these issues finally updated last night around 9PM MST and now shows up to date. Snapshot capture appears to be working now.

No such luck with me - still stuck on the old version.
And triggering the lights at 10 mins and 40 mins past the hour all night.

@roblewis011 - have you got the light zone fully expanded now? Does it behave well with it?

I returned mine. Perhaps in the spring, once the bad stock cycles out of the market (hopefully), I’ll replace it.

Here’s what I’ve done since my last posting about the old firmware:

1) Power-cycled the floodlight cams: Floodlight cams are on lightswitch. So, I turned them off for about a minute and then turned them back on. About half an hour later, I checked and saw that both floodlight cams now show that the firmware is “Up to Date.”

2) Turned Snapshot capture off and back on: I turned the snapshot capture off and then saved. What I have found is that in order for my Ring app to register any changes in the snapshot capture, I have to click on “Learn more” in order for the blue “Save” in the upper right hand corner of the screen to become dark blue so that I can save the change in the setting. Then I went back into the app and changed the snapshot capture back on. Again, I had to click on “Learn more” again for the app to recognize the change in the snapshot capture and be able to save. Also, you may have to shut down the app and restart if things are still misbehaving. Note that I have an android phone (Samsung). I think I am getting snapshot captures, but please note that it’s only been about 45 minutes since I’ve done all this… Will need to confirm over time that snapshot capture is acutally working…

It’s not quite dark yet, so I will monitor tonight to see if the floodlights are still triggering by themselves. And sometime over the weekend if the floodlights are not still triggering, I will try and test out the ability of the floodlight cams to connect to chime pro. That involves getting out and getting on the ladder, so I don’t want to take that last step unless everything else seems to be OK…

1 Like

Also I wanted to add that I was under the impression that Ring support would contact us to let us know that they would be pushing out fixes… So, I wasn’t expecting anything to happen until they did… perhaps I misunderstood…

1 Like

Meme, big thanks to you! This morning, one of my cameras was updated with current firmware, and after following your advice, all SIX of them are! I was dreading taking them all down and sending them back.

Good luck, everyone. It won’t be dark for a while here, but I am hoping we all have success with the light cycling as well.

They seemed to have fixed the issue. I powered cycled my cameras yesterday and the firware updated to the latest. I’ve verified that Snapshot capture and Color Night Vision are now working; and the floodlights no longer turn on every 30 minutes.

Same here. With the firmware update, both my flood lights are no longer going on every 30 minutes. Snapshot is working. I hope that everyone got the firmware update.

I noticed that a couple times this weekend that the cameras triggered, but the floodlights did not go on. I tried testing it. I was walking right near the device the camera went on, but the flood lights did not… Has anyone noticed reduced sensitivity in the flood lights? I have the light sensitivity set at maximum.

I’m going to keep an extra close eye on it for a while. I certainly hope that they didn’t reduce the sensitivity of the flood lights as a part of the fix…

Hi I have the same problem, I’ve tried doing what you said regarding the power cycle, even left it for a longer time, done the changing the snapshot setting on and off too, still not having any luck, still turning on every 30 minutes.
What is the new firmware number, mine is currently on 2.1.01005.
Many thanks

Finally my floodlight cams have also updated - no power cycling - just happened on its own

I’ve increased the light sensitivity zone just now - will check how it responds

What do I do to corect the problem?

@SunjPer Ring, if firmware shows up as a number, then its not the latest. It needs to say “Up to Date.”

@joebeech@SunjThere are limited things that we can do to try and trigger a firmware update. Power cycling has worked for some of us. Based on my calls with Ring support, my understanding is that normally the firmware update has to be in the device’s queue in order to update. If you call Ring support, Level 1 and 2 cannot force a firmware update either. They can queue it up but would try the same things that we as customers have tried. I don’t know how Ring forced the firmware updates for floodlight cams that wouldn’t update the firmware previously. They may be rolling it out the firmware update in batches, so hopefully then your floodlight cams will update soon. If you do call Ring support, I would suggest that you request to talk to Level 2 so that they can quickly escalate while you are on the call, instead of making you re-do all the testing that many of us have already done over the past few months.

@joebeech wrote:

What do I do to corect the problem?

@meme
Thanks for your reply, I called ring and they just said that my firmware is current and just have to wait really for them to go through the issues firmware by firmware, not much can be done apart from to wait for the automatic update. Asked if they could do a manual firmware update but no such luck, just gotta wait it out.

So after updating to the new firmware - my floodlight in the garden went off 4-5 times without any trigger last night - within 15 mins

Does this occur for anyone else ?

Right after I read the email of your posting,one of my floodlights went on without trigger… I also checked the snapshots last night, and it did catch one time then it went on. With the snapshots, of course it’s hard to tell if there was a trigger. But I do know that the camera didn’t trigger.

For that same floodlight cam, I had noticed a couple nights earlier this week that the flood light would turn on by itself without trigger always between 6 and 6:30 in the evening. I was just sitting in a position where it was really easy to see that always around that time. I haven’t been able to be around to observe it the last few nights. I had mostly stopped monitoring because I was tired of doing so. I will start again because I also think that its not fixed… it’s just harder to monitor if it’s not going on regular intervals like it was before.

I have two floodlight cams. It seems that only one of them is triggering by itself. But I can’t be sure… I will monitor.

@shalomthomas wrote:
So after updating to the new firmware - my floodlight in the garden went off 4-5 times without any trigger last night - within 15 mins

Also wanted to add that this flood light also will turn itself back on, almost right after I turn it off. The app will confirm that the light is off with a message at the botton of the app. But then I will look and see that the light has turned itself back on again. This actually used to happen on this floodlight cam before the firmware update.

@shalomthomas wrote:

@shalomthomasAre your floodlight cams still misbehaving?

Both my floodlight cams are still turning on by themselves a couple times a night without external trigger. I don’t notice any pattern. One of the floodlight cams has a compromised floodlight motion sensitivity and does not turn on until a person is practically under the light. And the other still does this odd thing where it turns the lights back on after I turn them off, and it can repeat this several times.

So, I am getting another set of replacement floodlight cams… Hope they are not defective…

@shalomthomas wrote:

HI all,

Writing after few weeks now.

My problem of light going on in 30 minutes has gotten worse. Now they are switching on every time the car passes by- I have not changed any configuration. My motion setting is at Human mode and light sensitivity at medium.

Light goes on every few minutes. Not sure how long they are going to last. I have tried all methods ( moving light physically and angle) nothing is working.

So frustrating experience. Its looks to be real bad product.