Wireless spotlight cams fogging up at night

I have a mix of wired and wireless cameras, but at night I am noticing only on wireless cameras keep fogging up. This is a shot of my camera from light night and that blob in blue is me walking by the camera. I looked my the wired flood camera and wired spotlight camera and both where very clear. I am not sure if the wired camera let off more heat to reducing moisture build up, but I am wondering what can I do with my wireless camera to reduce mosture buildup? Thanks

1 Like

That is a lot of fog on that lens @veener79 . I recommend checking the surrounding area for any causes that you might be able to avoid, such as dryer vents, heat exhaust, ac units, etc.

If this is happening merely due to a humid or moist environment/ climate, we have seen some neighbors use a water or fog repellent solution on the lens. Hope this helps!

Hi @veener79, I would appreciate it if you could connect with myself and the Community team by sending an email to Community@ring.com. We’d love to connect with you and discuss your experience with the Community in more detail. We look forward to hearing from you!

Hi Riley, I have sent you an email. Thanks

The current view from my new Ring 2 doorbell ?

1 Like

I have a battery operated one on my garage and it is fogged on the inside. No A/C, furnance or anything else that would cause hot and cold issues. I live in Oceanside CA and my temp range through winter is typically 46-75 degrees F. I don’t want to try taking it apart to wipe the moisture out of the inside. Any ideas?

Mike

1 Like

@dazzling Looks like mine. Sorry, I can’t help but sure hope someone can.

Mike

1 Like

I wish this issue was disclosed before making this purchase. My ring 2 doorbell lens is super foggy and wish I was able to find a remedy.

1 Like

The same thing happens to my spotlight cam (containing 2 batteries and wired to the solar charger) every night. The lens is fogged up until mid-morning then the picture is perfect. I’ve read the suggestion about putting an anti-fog spray on the lens, but I’m very leary about spraying something on a , not so cheap, security camera. Any other ideas, Ring?

1 Like

I have the exact same issue. I bought 6 ring cameras and I WAS recommending them to everyone in my Community Watch Group however with this fogging issue, it does absolutely ZERO good when you have criminal activity happening all the time and you are completely blind sitting like a lame duck unable to see anything going on.

What can we do about this Ring? I’m sure none of us want to have to return the products and go with other surveillance equipment not having the problem, so your help would be appreciated.

8 Likes

I have the same issues, mine is usually weather related. Also, the quality of my video has gone way down over the last several months, not sure if it’s related.

2 Likes

I am having the same problem with one of my cameras fogging up at night. It’s basically useless at night.

4 Likes

I am about to buy a Battery powered Spotlight camera ,but before I do ,I live in the UK anyone here from the UK and do you have the misting problem?

I wonder if this could be the problem, these cameras have an IP rating of 55,

IP55

First Digit - Protected against dust limited ingress, no harmful deposits.

Second Digit - Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions, limited ingress permitted.

If the cameras let in moisture would a silicone jacket as sold by Amazon cure the problem?

I really like the Ring family of security products and I’m just looking for justfication to buy a Spotlight camera.

1 Like

I had an issue with my spotlight camera in the UK where it was misting on the outside, then one day it seemed to be on the inside so Ring replaced it for me.

I now have the issue happening again on the outside and am looking at a fix. I have 2 other external ring cameras and 1 doorbell and none of them have this issue.

Im considering trying some rain-x on the camera. You can get rain-x for plastics too so should be safe to use on the camera.

Anyone know if the lense cover on the cam is plastic or glass?

My parents have ring and their cameras fog/ ice over terribly in the cold. I have 4 arlo cameras and are clear as a bell in the current 19 degree weather. What’s the difference?

3 Likes

Jim, I’m also here in the UK and a newbie - just got my Spotlight cams a week ago.

I also thought that they could be susceptible to moisture etc so I’ve bought a couple of those silicone covers off Amazon which have arrived today - I’ll put them on tomorrow…

I’m also thinking of getting some different mounts as, at the height I have to put the camera it doesn’t look/feel like the supplied mounts are very substantial…

How have you got on with them?

Thanks

Hi Kt1966,

I have’nt bought any yet because of the misting up problems.

I just wanted to find out from other UK users to see if the misting problem was a common problem here.

Thanks

Ok, well I’ll put them on and see what’s what.

With all of this rain they are certainly going to be well tested…

Thanks

5 am. What is it? I know it’s the daily garbage truck going by, but I can’t see it.

9 am. Crystal clear.

C’mon, Ring… give us a real solution!

6 Likes

Hey neighbors! We actually have a similar thread about this concern from our Doorbells board. A lot of other neighbors in the Community have found some solutions that may also work for y’all. Please check them out inthis thread here.