Wifi Identification

Hi when I am suppose to choose a wifi network from the list generated on My android there is about 15 networks to choose from…which one is the one am suppose to use?..I called support and he said I needed to buy a router for it to work when it is advertised to work with Your phones wifi…He said I could get one used cheap off e-bay…

@putnamjosephedwin wrote:

Hi when I am suppose to choose a wifi network from the list generated on My android there is about 15 networks to choose from…which one is the one am suppose to use?..I called support and he said I needed to buy a router for it to work when it is advertised to work with Your phones wifi…He said I could get one used cheap off e-bay…

Hello @putnamjosephedwin ,

The Ring cameras are wireless and connect to your home’s Wi-Fi that is provided by a service provider. So, during the setup, the camera initially connects to your cellular phone, so you can ‘tell’ it the Wi-Fi network name and password of your home Wi-Fi router. Then the camera disconnects from your phone and attaches to your home Wi-Fi. Generally, the name of your router (the SSID) and password are written on a sticker on the side of your router (unless you changed them). Once the camera is completed the setup and connected to your home Wi-Fi, you have access to the camera through your phone’s Ring App.

You camera cannot operate without a home Wi-Fi router. Generally, your Wi-Fi service provider includes the Wi-Fi router with their service. You do not use your camera solely connected to your phone (like if you were using “Tethering” or “Mobile HotSpot” from your phone), except it you have issues with Wi-Fi service. I hope you find this information helpful. :slight_smile: