Video not recording

Update:

@Marley_Ring persuaded me to call the CRS. The problem was the firmware. For some reason, motion alert was turned off on Ring HQ but on the APP was shown as ON. Ring sent my cam new firmware and everything is back to normal.

Thanks, Marley!!!

3 Likes

Glad to hear your peace of mind has been restored and everything is fully operational. Thank you for reaching out to us, and support, as we are always happy to assist!

My Video is now recording, too: In my case, I had hidden the Camera inside a China Cabinet in our dining room that has glass panes in it (so the Camera could see outward)… Well apparently the Lens didn’t like it because as soon as I took it out and just set it on the table, to test, it started recording Motion just like it’s supposed to.

The odd thing is that Live View worked fine when it was in the cabinet, but not Recording…

But I’m good now.

1 Like

Hi GSKERN, Liveview would work as you are initiating the recording. But for motion triggered recording there needs to be an event. If it was a battery model it is relying on IR to determine if there is a motion and with such a cam behind glass it was not able to detect any motion.

“Ring products “see” the world through a network of three linked passive infrared (PIR) sensors. These are heat sensors that detect motion by monitoring heat within the detection area. Since people are hotter than the surrounding areas, as a person enters the detection area, the heat measurements change. The motion sensors register this change as movement and send out an alert.”

2 Likes

I’m having the same problem with a ring doorbell 2. I have 7 other cameras that all work fine but for the last month or more no motion activated recordings. I have checked all the settings. I have changed all the settings and it still doesn’t work. I’m not sure when this started doing it but it’s probably been a month or more and I hadn’t noticed as there are so many other events and this door isn’t used much if at all. I really don’t have time to sit on the phone with a CSR to fix it. I really wish WE the user could see the firmware version and initiate a update or roll it back. Or they would actually do something from a email description of the problem. I like ring but it really doesn’t let you get under the hood at all. I wish there was some sort of software based reset in the app that would reset the camera or in the alternative at least reboot the camera.

I hope yours is fixed and still working.

I’m having the same problem with a ring doorbell 2. I have turned all motion settings on and off and still no motion activated recordings. Live video records fine. No idea how long it’s been this way as there are so many other events from other cameras that I didn’t notice till recently this camera wasn’t working correctly. It appears to be fine on the surface with a perfect clean bill of health. You all need to let us initiate firmware updates or roll them back. You could bury it under advanced or something but it would be nice to be able to get under the hood even a little and not have to rely on a CSR to do much of everything diagnostic. Or in the alternative we could email and ask to have something done that we cannot do ourselves.

Thank you

1 Like

Hey @Socrates99! This sounds like it might be best brought up with our support team. Keep in mind you can call them at 800-656-1918, or chat with support at Ring.com. There is also email support available at Help@Ring.com if this better suits you :slight_smile:

I have kind of similar problem. I have a flood cam which most of the time alerts and records a video but sometime it doesn’t with same exact event like driving the same car to garage at the same time of night. Even the light goes off but nothing recorded or alerted.

Hi, my plug in cam stopped recording although i saw the live video and the up to date screen shots in the app . Just no recordings for today. I turned off the record motion tab for that camera. Waited 5 minutes and turned in back on. That fixed the problem.

1 Like

Hello I can’t go to live view most the time. What’s going on. Every time we tiered it’s either low battery or no
Connection

Hi. I just got a Ring video doorbell camera. Went thru all the setup settings and at first everything was working well. I tested the thing myself: opened the door; walked in front of the dood(bell); can see the cars passing by out at the street. However today when the mail carrier delivered my mail (up the walkway to the mailbox right beside the Ring doorbell), there was no alarm, no video (recorded)… Afterward, I watched the video from the exact moment. All I saw was my walkway, a passing car and the noise the mail carrier made putting mail in my box. I know the thing works so why not when someone walks up the walkway? I even opened my door afterward and walked outside partway down the walk and back and video was fine! What gives? I’m not sure if a support person can actually fix this!

Update to previous post:

Well, I think the problem may be my screen door: it has glass on inside of door and screen on outer side.
So, I tested my theory (after reading certain reviews on this subject). I left my home closing both front door and screen door. Waited about 5 minutes and then walked up my walkway, opened the screen door then opened the front door (needless to say I entered the house closing both doors). Then I checked the video recording. It did not show me walking up the walkway, although it did record street traffic- confusing). And only showed (partially) when I opened my screen door, front door and went inside.
This is rather peculiar, wouldn’t you say? Capturing car motion at the street but not capturing me walking the sidewalk, opening my gate then walking up the walkway. This , I believe is a flaw, which jeopardizes the security aspect. Only if/when the screen door is opened will it record: meaning anyone could walk up to my front door (without opening the screen) and steal anything left by FedEx, UPS, or any other delivery left at my door. It would be way too inconvenient to have to remove my screen door just to get video recording (from a security standpoint). I may have to seek other solutions for protection and security of this nature.
So, if anyone has any solutions or suggestions I haven’t mentioned, ple@se let me know.
(It seems my .mp4 video is not the correct format for an attachment)

Hi @Skulivan! Our Video Doorbells and Camera devices are designed to be mounted with an unobstructed view. As our camera enabled devices have many features such as light sensors, lens adjustment, and motion detection, these functions will work best with a clear view and it’s maximum field of view.

With your door closed it will have a hard time picking up things beyond the screen. As your Doorbell’s motion detection will look for heat signatures, a running vehicle may have the possibility of triggering, where as a human sized object might have be tough to capture through a screen. For entry ways that are enclosed or screened, if the Doorbell cannot be mounted beyond the enclosure, we recommend adding one of our Cameras to monitor beyond the entry way. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Well, it kinda does answer ‘part’ of my problem. However (see attachment pic), my mail carrier, again came today, dropped off mail and then left. The pic shows the mail carrier ‘leaving’ my property at the front gate and nothing more: not walking up the walkway/ramp or back down. Is there an explanation? Also, you can see the street and my neighbor’s walkway which the camera picks up motion in these two places… But not my walkway/ramp to my door.

I’m really hoping to get this resolved. Do I broaden the sensitivity area or lessen it? How can a heat signature be detected outside my immediate area and NOT my immediate area? I’d hate to have to remove the screen door or even purchase the Pro version which connects to my existing doorbell and I would have to drill holes in the brick wall.

1 Like

Having the same problem for small animals and also seeing certain images just disappear before recording finishes.

Well, here’s a snapshot viewing from my front door (using Ring video cam). The view is not obstructed. And in regard to heat-sensing, vehicle heat out on the street would have to travel a much longer way than a live person ‘right at the door’. Plus, you will notice the metal ramp that leads from door to sidewalk (prior to reaching the street). I would imagine any change in heat (plus/minus) reflecting from this ramp would activate the heat sensing Ring device. Idk, this unfortunate problem seems to defeat my purpose and reason for purchasing the ‘Ring Video Peephole Doorbell’. If I had been made aware of this issue I would have purchased one of the other Ring Video products that are used outside the door. Anyway, it is a good product but requires a bit of tweaking to be really practical (also, owners should be able to record their videos LOCALLY without purchasing a plan for storage-another issue altogether).

I ve have same issue. racoon caught on trail camera and ring lights clearly coming on and off but no recording…what is their number?

Have the same problem

For any neighbors who notice their camera’s lights triggering without a video recording to follow, this can often be resolved by adjusting your settings. Ring cameras that come lights attached will be able to detect motion for recording, and motion to trigger lights. These can be adjusted individually in the app under Motion Settings and under Light Settings. As an example, here is our Help Center article with steps to follow for the Spotlight Cam Wired’s Light Settings.

Fine tuning these and your normal Motion Settings will help with accuracy in detection. If you are noticing your lights are too sensitive or triggering too often, please check the area for any movement or ventilation / HVAC that might be moving or blowing air and steam. In addition to Motion Settings, adjusting your camera’s angle can help too.

If you have concerns regarding your video recording in general, please visit Ring.com on a web browser, log in to your Ring account, and select Protect Plans, to view your subscription coverage status.