VPN Compatibility Must Be Fixed

Could you imagine if your Internet provider said that your service would only work if you left the doors of your home unlocked at all hours? As absurd as that sounds, that is *EXACTLY* how absurd it is that Ring’s live video does not work if a mobile device is connected to a VPN.

Use of VPNs today in any public WiFi hotspot is *mandatory* best-practice, and they are highly recommended at all times, regardless.

It is indefensible that Ring expect customers to disable their VPNs, thereby exposing their mobile devices to the risk of attack as well as compromising the privacy of their data, just to be able to use a so-called security device. This is about as ridiculous and backwards as could be.

In 25 years of working in cyber security, the *ONLY* times I have ever heard a company instruct a customer to disable a firewall or VPN in order to get their product to work is when their developers were too lazy or too incompetent to do their jobs property…or both.

This needs to be fixed ASAP. You have no business calling yourselves a “security company” so long as you demand customers disable their electronic security for the sake of their physical security. This is gross negligence or sheer incompetence. Whoever signed off on this decision should lose their job.

This needs to be fixed yesterday.

2 Likes

Totally agree. I only just bought my first Ring products yesterday, but I find it kind of annoying to have to disable the VPN if I want to see my live feeds.

I live alone and bought two cams as a “just in case” for when I’m out and get some unwanted visitors who find a way into my house, so it’s not like I’m going to be loading up the feeds on a regular basis, but should that situation arise, I’d like to be able to get right into the feeds without having to keep my VPN disabled permanently on the off-chance.

Hey neighbors. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We want to assure you that we take all of our neighbors’ concerns very seriously. Are we able to have a member from our team reach out to you about this? If so, we would reach out to you using the email address associated with your Community account and a member of our team will be in contact with you about using your VPN with the Ring devices. If this is alright, please let me know and I will arrange this for you to ensure that your concern is addressed appropriately.

Thanks Chelsea. Yes, go ahead and contact via my email.

Thanks
Phil

1 Like

So after initial talks with your team member (which didn’t get off to a good start to begin with because he had days to make sure he had my number but only realised at the scheduled call time that he didn’t) and then taking days to get back to me, all I was told was what we already know - that you’re not willing to fix this. So that was a good use of my time. Sorry, but I’m not going to keep my VPN disabled just for you. This is a deal-breaker. My free trial of Ring Protect ends in six days, and between the crappy customer service and the unwillingness to budge on this, I won’t be buying a subscription or any more of your products until you allow VPNs.