Unacceptable you can’t rotate video on outdoor Stick Up Camera!

Another new user that thought it would be a simple fix to rotate the video on an outdoor camera (like you can on indoor camera). Why is this not a feature? Why should I have to buy a £20 mount that means I have to drill more holes? Completely unacceptable! If the indoor camera can do it, so should the outdoor.
Tempted to send these back and return to another manufacturer - something so small but simple to fix. Sort it out Ring, else you’ll keep loosing new costumers.

4 Likes

Such a basic security cam function… This is literally the number one complaint since day 1 for users of this product. I own 6 other brands of cameras (some 6 years old…Samsung) and they all allow you to invert the picture. Let the users decide if the motion detection is adequate when inverting the video. Iv’e had my Gen 3 stick up cam upside down and it detected motion just fine. Your “team” is either obtuse or being dishonest in their reasoning. If motion detection is that weak upside down, then maybe do a mechanical correction and recall all of these “less than useful versions”, that ring has sold. I’m guessing most people in the year 2020, wouldn’t feel they needed to ask their Toyota dealership if the newest Camry came with airconditioning or cruise control??? Do the right thing by your loyal customers plz.

3 Likes

If they have the Code for the Indoor, it should be a no brainers to implement on the outdoor… apparently the only no brainers here are Lazy Ring Employees, keep striving for Mediocrity & keep that door open for the competition to put you outta business… good job & please know that you should be ashamed to cash your paycheck.

2 Likes

KUDOS

1 Like

Yes, I’d like to add how unacceptable this is. I have just moved house and have taken my Ring Stick up cams with me. Now I discover I can’t mount upside down?!?! If it requires a mount, it should be included, or at least a nominal cost (I would be willing to pay upto £5!). Also, what am I supposed to do now that the mounts are out of stock everywhere?!? They’re not in the Ring store, nor on Amazon. So even if I wanted to pay the ransom cost of the mount to get my cameras working, I couldn’t!?

As I’ve had the cameras too long to send back (4months) for a refund, and without the mount, they’re just expensive paperweights. I’d like a refund. How can I escalate this as I would like to return these cameras for a refund as they are no longer fit for purpose?

Thanks

2 Likes

Bump. I just bought an outdoor camera after specifically looking to make sure the video can be inverted. Unfortunately I didn’t realize the answer page it took me to only applies to indoor cams. I bought the mount, but if I keep the camera upright, the lens sees my eaves. I want it upside down so the lens is a little lower and sees the driveway. I don’t know why this issue is marked as solved. The software needs to be updated.

2 Likes

He obviously had one two many.

This is clearly a money making scheme. We purchased two gen 2 stick up cams and they came with mounts we could install on the ceiling. We have purchased 2 more which turned out to be gen 3 - which can only be installed standing or on a wall - it’s an extra $29 AUD for the mount that allows ceiling installation. I would think one of the most common installation loactions for outdoor cameras was under the eaves of the house - it is crazy that this mount now needs to be purchased seperately.

4 Likes

I’ve just bought one from Amazon and it came with the mount.

This is absolute BS.

2 Likes

I’m assuming this is a temporary workaround while Ring is working on supporting rotation for these cameras. Obviously this is something that could easily be addressed in software on the client side, so there’s no fundamental reason why Ring couldn’t support this feature.

Considering that there are other cameras which support software video rotation; hiding this feature behind a glass wall would be a great way to take advantage of consumers, telling them they have to spend more money to buy a special mount for Cameras into which they’ve already invested hundreds of dollars.

Of course ring is a company that respects its customers, and this isn’t the case, right? Can someone from Ring share when this feature will be available?

1 Like

I’ve used these mounting platforms and they are ineffective. With this technology it is SAD that the recommendation to change the view of the camera is to change the convention of the mounting gear in place of a digital fix. SAD

2 Likes

You have got to be kidding me. Thought for sure I just wasn’t finding the setting.

“If the device is turned upside down, it will not be able to detect motion properly” Umm, what? Does the little guy inside get dizzy? It’s all software, what does inversion matter?

3 Likes

I just purchased 4 stick up cams and a doorbell (love them so far).
The cams screw into the roof with the supplied hard ware just fine
and look great.

However the dash board looks terrible with one doorbell camera right side up
and all the indoor camera captures up side down!

* I also need to rotate the image for usable motion detection zones.

? Is there a hardware reason preventing the software from allowing me to rotate my dash view ?

!! I will feel taken advantage of if the only option to rotate the dash image and motion zone requires $80 of additional purchase !!

1 Like

Why is this saying the problem as reported is SOLVED??? when it clearly isnt as there is still no function to flip the video using software…only paying out more money unacceptable

2 Likes

Not as much “Solved” as it is “Closed”, meaning Ring will no longer address it. They’ve given us their answer and apparently that’s all they’re going to say about that.

Time to look elsewhere for an IP camera company that actually listens to its customers and does something about it.

2 Likes

I just learned this lesson the hard way myself. It is ridiculous that you can buy a $30 dollar camera that has more functionality than one that cost $100. As was already mentioned this is not some expensive hardware change and simply requires some coding to make this possible. Super frustrating as I now am the proiud owner of two usesless paperf weights as I am not able to return them to Amazon.

1 Like

Please make this possible! Not that hard to implement and standard on all cam’s. It is just an easy firmware update? thx

As someone who has recently purchased 14 ring cameras for two different locations and recommended ring I too find this unacceptable. There is absolutely no logical reason why users shouldn’t also be able to rotate outdoor cameras. I may have to reconsider my recommendations to the many other friends and family who ask me about my cameras…

1 Like

My new Ring stickup cameras is being returned to Best Buy. Totally unacceptable and easily fixed with a camera firmware or app update. My GoPro has auto rotate as does my phone. I plan to tell everyone I know and not recommend Ring.

1 Like