Unacceptable you can’t rotate video on outdoor Stick Up Camera!

Add me to the list, too. I’ve installed a Ring Security system, 2 indoor cams, a spotlight cam - and just went to put up my 3rd gen Stick-up Cam. Crazy that we can’t reverse the image (which looks to have been in the app prior) or install the included mount on top. I guess I’ll order the $20 piece of plastic to mount this thing. Thank goodness I only need one.

Worth noting that I’ve used both Blink and Canary Flex outdoor cams in the past, but wanted to take advantage of Ring integration. This is a big camera - I have the plug-in, which of course means I have a big empty battery compartment. Almost makes me think I could get away with an indoor cam since it’s under the eaves. hmmmmmm

11 Likes

This is THE dumbest issue. How can you not allow this to flip the view in software.

13 Likes

It feels as though a company like ring would have the ability to flip the image within the software. Every other camera I’ve worked with has software that does just that. Having a separate mount does nothing but hurt the consumer and benefit the company. Have some pride in yourselves and update your software to give the views we want instead of trying to charge more for a flimsy mount.

10 Likes

I recently bought my Ring Stickup Cam v3 at Costco ($249 @ the time) which comes in a 3-pack and includes the additional ceiling mount hardware. I was curious about an image flip feature which is how I wound up in this forum. Personally I love these cameras so much that I bought a second set and will be buying more for another location. I had wondered if I could position the camera to lay horizontally and flip the video which would make for greater versatility in the way I mount my cameras, but for me it isn’t a deal breaker. Having a background in software development I would agree this kind of feature could be programmed into the software (not so sure it would require a firmware upgrade). However, in looking at the camera design, I would guess the camera positioning to remain vertical helps to keep the elements out of the internal workings. That’s not to say the design is flawed—the cameras are actually very well made. I am suggesting that if the image flip feature were available, people like myself would position the camera in ways other than vertical and would then be complaining over damage to the camera because of water damage, wind, dirt, sand, ice or snow. So, by controlling the camera positioning by not allowing the image flip feature the complaints and warranty replacements are pretty much nullified.

2 Likes

Agreed, this would be a great firmware/software update.

7 Likes

I have the same issue installed expecting this basic function but no! Disgusting marketing and expectations by ring. I was so impressed with their product until now! I will be leaving my views on amazon to express my disgust so others avoid this product

9 Likes

This is not a solution its a band aid at best. Not having the ability to rotate the camera view on an outdoor cam is just about the stupidest thing I have ever had to deal with. Couple that with the fact this was marked as solved only re enforces the view that ring does not give a crap about its customers.

6 Likes

This is not an acceptable solution. I am shocked Ring would make a money grab like this and disable the flip feature for their top of the line camera.

5 Likes

Hi Chelsea, has there been any update to this?
Maybe a firmware update that allows the same flip functionality as the indoor cam? If Ring is worried about the waterproofing, which seems to be sealed pretty well, then maybe suggest a disclaimer and consent by the user that using the camera in such manner nullifies any guarantee or protection Ring provides for water related damage; simply that the user assumes the responsibility? I’d be ok with that just so that I have the function. It’s making my camera essentially useless right now :confused:

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi neighbors! Thank you for your feedback. We have talked to the team and want to clarify, this can not be fixed with a firmware update. If the device is turned upside down, it will not be able to detect motion properly, which is why we suggest purchasing theMount, as @Chelsea_Ring mentioned. We hope this helps clear up any confusion here. Thank you!

1 Like

This seems like an easy app fix and I’m blown away that it is not an option. Ready to return my camera at this point. So dissapointed

5 Likes

I just bought two stick up cams to mount under my second story bathroom overhang. There is no video rotation for the stick up cams. UNREAL! This is absolutely absured in 2020. Cave men had automatic video rotation for their screens. A whole group of people at Ring/Amazon were asleep at the wheel, for decdades, when a 5 year old asked “would a user ever want to rotate their video?”. Of coures not. Besides, the cost to add video rotation is almost $5, we cannot afford that expense.

Get your act together Ring and FIX your app. If you you don’t have the expertise to fix the app, hire my 12 year old grandson. He can fix it.

Respectuflly,

Bob Metz

I’d flip my name but your software won’t let me.

6 Likes

Yea funny that they cant add that. My Arlo cam has the option in the app to roated vid 180 degrees. You dont have to mount it upside down. So dont understand the statement which the cam wont pick up motion if upside down. So i guess it was missed in design. Edit meant you can mount it upside down.

6 Likes

I just spent $300 on 3 indoor/outdoor stick up cams only to find out I can’t rotate them. This is completely ridiculous! I have done nothing but praise Ring cams since I bought my first one 2 years ago. Why would you not update the software to allow all of your cams the option to rotate. This is seriously disappointing.

6 Likes

Why would we spend another $20 per camera to buy your kit to do what even the basic security cameras do? If you really appreciated your customer base, you’d supply the mounting kit or you’d fix the software. I’m very disappointed!

5 Likes

The comment provided by the admin above regarding the stick up cam can’t detect motion while upside down is complete bulls**t.

I have my stick up cam mounted upside down outside and it picks up motion and alerts me even from motion being 15meters away.

The tech team at ring definitely have the ability to add the video rotation option, they just don’t want the effort and that is very poor from a company that charges premium for their devices.

Get your stuff together Ring.

5 Likes

if the mount is the only solution, then it should be sent with the camera.

most all camera’s have the ability to be mounted upside down.

I will not buy anymore ring products until that mount is in my hands and that mount comes with all stickup cams or any other cams that can’t be mounted upside down.

I have even let my subscription expire and will not be paying for it until I have that mount and that mount comes with all stickup cams or any other cams that can’t be mounted upside down.

2 Likes

Another new user that thought it would be a simple fix to rotate the video on an outdoor camera (like you can on indoor camera). Why is this not a feature? Why should I have to buy a £20 mount that means I have to drill more holes? Completely unacceptable! If the indoor camera can do it, so should the outdoor.
Tempted to send these back and return to another manufacturer - something so small but simple to fix. Sort it out Ring, else you’ll keep loosing new costumers.

4 Likes

Such a basic security cam function… This is literally the number one complaint since day 1 for users of this product. I own 6 other brands of cameras (some 6 years old…Samsung) and they all allow you to invert the picture. Let the users decide if the motion detection is adequate when inverting the video. Iv’e had my Gen 3 stick up cam upside down and it detected motion just fine. Your “team” is either obtuse or being dishonest in their reasoning. If motion detection is that weak upside down, then maybe do a mechanical correction and recall all of these “less than useful versions”, that ring has sold. I’m guessing most people in the year 2020, wouldn’t feel they needed to ask their Toyota dealership if the newest Camry came with airconditioning or cruise control??? Do the right thing by your loyal customers plz.

3 Likes

If they have the Code for the Indoor, it should be a no brainers to implement on the outdoor… apparently the only no brainers here are Lazy Ring Employees, keep striving for Mediocrity & keep that door open for the competition to put you outta business… good job & please know that you should be ashamed to cash your paycheck.

2 Likes