Turn off Status Light on new Indoor Cam

This needs to happen ASAP, @Ring team please release an update that allow us to turn off that annoying light. I have one in my new born room and every time she moves it comes up, and that makes her wake up and start crying…

1 Like

I think I should have the ability to decide in my own home.

1 Like

Really need this feature. Using the cam in my toddlers room and the blue light keeps waking him up. Will tape it, but it is very annoying.

1 Like

Such an obvious question and I can’t believe they didn’t think of that ?

1 Like

Oh, they (Ring) thought about it and decided ‘privacy’ of thieves was far more important than security. It’s a ‘woke’ thing.

2 Likes

It’e ridiculous that a bright blue light flashes from a security camera when activated. I guess they just want you to buy new cameras when the robber quickly sees and destroys the cameras.

So I bought the “ring indoor camera” after searching on Amazon for a toddler monitior, I don’t like cheap tat, nor do I like the no-named branded ones as I don’t trust them, and I’ve had a few over the years which promise the world but perform badly and are very tricky to setup.

The number one problem is, if he moves at night, or we check on him on the live view, the blue light illuminates his room and wakes him up, or… prevents him from sleeping again.

So frustrated after paying £50+ on this and this very basic design flaw has no workaround, is it for privacy reasons perhaps for AirBnB type scenarios? I don’t know. I’m actually thinking about opening up the device and soldering the LED off.

2 Likes

I bought two Ring indoor cameras to replace some crappy cameras from China, but at least they had the ability to turn off the status light. This has been an issue with Ring cameras for a lot of people for a very long time. Unbelievable.

2 Likes

This blue light problem has been complained about for over a year and still no fix. Pre-Amazon Ring might have fixed this, but post-Amazon Ring doesn’t give. Amazon, Google, FaceBook, and Twitter are all too busy trying to out “woke” each other to care what their think about anything.

Blink owned by Amazon makes cameras that have a software feature to turnoff the blue light as the Blink mini or have a switch in the camera to turn it off such as the Blink XT2. So I believe the decision to not have this feature falls directly to the Ring lawyers. I highly recommend the Blink mini for indoors.

I agree with everyone here, we need to be able to turn this off!!!

1 Like

Turn this off please… its really annoying

2 Likes

After buy 6 of these I find the blue led intrusive and counter-security minded. Anyone scoping the premises will certainly make note of the camera beacon “I am here” and know to avoid or disable the cameras on their return visit.

Seeing so many posts on this, it’s clear that Ring will not be accommodating. Trying to rationalize why this control is not left to the consumer leads me to only one answer - Ring is acting in their best interest, not yours. With this in mind, the real question is what other Ring interests will be pursued above and beyond the consumers?

This is the unforutnately dicotomy we face with these cloud based technologies. Ultimately, we can only push for and support open solutions which are not muddied by commercial interests which really put consumer needs last. Blue led’s have nothing to do with privacy. For now, electrical tape and support for community sourced solutions seems to be the best solution available.

1 Like

Agreed. Black tape is such a poor solution.

The option to disable the blue light is simple to provide and then upto the user to choose. Who is it for otherwise - it’s not the intruder!

1 Like

Agreed. Changed indoor systems for my nursery so it was the same as outside and the blue light shines down on baby every time they move which obviously doesn’t have a positive effect in a blacked out room!! Back to competitor until you resolve this. Very disappointing purchase.

1 Like

I agree, this light is counter productive

1 Like

You aren’t alone! Although there are several regular forum posts already (like here in the Security Cams forum) about this additional option you want, the Feature Request Board forum is where Ring Team look to see what improvements people might want. And the more “Thumbs Up” Kudo votes they see there will better get their attention, increasing the chances of them providing that request. You should click on the below links and add your Kudo vote, if you like the requesting author’s idea (add your “Thumbs Up” Kudo vote on the left side of the author’s starting post), to help get the attention of the Ring Teams on the links below (these are similar requests for a “Blue Light Option”, and I’ve probably missed a few others):

Submitted by Cinnsay

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Option-to-disable-blue-light/idi-p/23976

Submitted by GaryC20

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Turn-off-motion-detector-led-display/idi-p/57609

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree - give us the option to turn it off - put any warning you want before you let us toggle it but dont suggest you know whats best for me in my situation.

1 Like

Has this still not been fixed yet?

As the original poster, there is one fix: buy a different brand. its rediculous, really.