cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off Status Light on new Indoor Cam

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Turn off Status Light on new Indoor Cam

I bought 4 of these new Indoor cameras.  I want that annoying blue light off. 

If a Bad Person/Crook/Clown is in my house, they have no right to:

1. Know where my camera is due to a blue light shining and notifying them

2. Any expectation of privacy and knowing they are being recorded or live viewed

I have the latest version of the software and I cannot find a setting to turn it off.  Does anyone know how to do this?  Thank you.

72 REPLIES 72
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Turn off Status Light on new Indoor Cam

Hey @Seven3twenty2 ! At this time, there is no way to turn off the light indicator. Keep in mind, the blue LED indicator light will only turn on when the Indoor Cam is triggered and begins recording. Privacy is at the forefront of every device decision we make at Ring. We will be sure to share your feedback with the team, as we are always looking to improve our neighbors experience

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Privacy is at the forefront of every device decision we make at Ring.”

Explain that statement in context of a criminal in my house please.

New Neighbor

I agree with adding an option to turn the light off. I'm trying to prevent my 18 year old from knowing I have the camera
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Agree, I don't have the camera's overly hidden but the bright blue light is very obnoxious and needs to be able to be turned off.

What are the side effects of putting a piece of tape over it?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Stick a bit of tap over the light. The Next cam has no setting from their indicator either.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Nest not having a way doesn't make it a good thing.  I don't want to announce to someone breaking into my home that they are being recorded.  If privacy is at the forefront of Ring's concerns --- there would be a way to deactivate this light.  Whose privacy are they protecting... the bad guy's?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Previously had Lorex cameras. They had an LED 'turn off' setting.  This should be added to the Ring cameras as well. Some visitors are intimidated when they see the flashing blue light & know they are being recorded.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

the Nest cam used to have this setting until Google decided to remove it so they could notify burglers they were being recorded since criminal privacy is very important in today’s backwards political climate.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Agreed.  That is certainly one reason ... and I've experienced it multiple times already.  Another reason may that we may not want to alert someone about to do something wrong.  It should be optional depending on the situation, with indoor cams in particular.