Stick up camera battery fixed ip address

Is it possible to configure the stick up camera battery (or any other ring camera) with a fixed ip address on the LAN? I would like to give the camera an ip address that is outside the router dhcp range. Also I don’t want to set up a dhcp reservation in the router.

I don’t see an option in the android ring app to assign an ip address to the camera either when setting up a new camera or for an existing installed camera.

In addition, I know this is the camera forum, but I have the same question for the Doorbell 2.

Thanks…

It is not possible to assign an IP to our devices that is outside of a DHCP range. Our devices do not only connect based on IP address but also based on criteria of compatibility, compliances, and of course resources.

Thanks for that information. To make sure I understand, is it correct that Ring devices cannot connect to a router with DHCP disabled?

Very good question @F50! If DHCP is disabled on your router, and you do not want to use a DHCP reservation, you can certainly use a static IP or select a private IP address. The IP address would of course still need to be within your subnet (I.E. between 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.255).

Once you have an IP address in mind, begin a new setup in the Ring app, and tap “add a hidden network” when you get to the last step of “selecting your home wifi network”. You will see the “add a hidden network” option will give you the ability to manually enter your network info, including IP address. Hope this helps!

When I try adding a hidden WiFi I do not get the options for manual ip addresses. I’ve had to use that for a ring garden security cam but I see the SSID, the security setting (none, wps, WEP) and password. No option for manual IP address at all (I’ve been in IT for 30 years so am ok at following instructions normally). I just do not see the advanced options that I have seen for other ring devices.

@Marley_Ring wrote:

It is not possible to assign an IP to our devices that is outside of a DHCP range. Our devices do not only connect based on IP address but also based on criteria of compatibility, compliances, and of course resources.

You CAN assign an IP address via a DHCP reservation outside the DHCP range specified in your DHCP server so long as it is within the subnet assigned in your network and your DHCP server allows it.

Most home networks use 192.168.xxx.0 (xxx can be any number between and 0 and 255) with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. Spelled out, valid device IP addresses are 192.168.xxx.1 through 192.168.xxx.254. The DHCP range is normally a subset of this, for example, 192.168.111.50 through 192.168.xxx.100.

Depending on your DHCP server, you can assign a DHCP reservation either within this range or outside of it.