Stick up cam not recording

Help! Suddenly my battery powered stick up cam has stopped working.

There are two problems:

1. The camera cannot sense motion and will not turn on when there is motion in a lit room.

2. Motion can be sensed at times and the blue light will turn on. However, nothing is recorded and the live cam function does not work either.

The battery has been charged to 100% and the wifi signal is strong. Has anyone else experienced this issue? What should I do ?

Please help

Thank you

Thank you

@stuckathome wrote:
Help! Suddenly my battery powered stick up cam has stopped working.
There are two problems:

1. The camera cannot sense motion and will not turn on when there is motion in a lit room.
  2. Motion can be sensed at times and the blue light will turn on. However, nothing is recorded and the live cam function does not work either.
    The battery has been charged to 100% and the wifi signal is strong. Has anyone else experienced this issue? What should I do ?
    Please help
    Thank you
    Thank you

Hello @stuckathome ,

I’m just guessing here, but since many devices that were working fine before the Ring Server issues (29/30 Sept), some were affected and some were not. It is possible your Stick-up Cam was also affected.

There was a wide range of different effects, that include multiple Notifications for no reason, random chiming of doorbells or on Chime devices, inability to connect to “Live View” or no recordings, no motion detection or detections different than App settings, changed Chirp Tones, etc. Yes, it seems that if your device was affected during the time the Ring Servers were having issues, your device may still be acting strange, especially if your issue just cropped up during or shortly after the 30th.

To rule out if the Ring Server ‘outage’ and their repairs that might have affected one or more of your Ring devices, first, try briefly removing power for like 30-seconds from any Ring device not acting normally (unplug it from house outlet, or remove the battery). So in your case, I would briefly remove the battery from your Stick-up, then reinstall it, and wait for your cam to wake back up. If it continues to act up, you may have to do a normal reset, by tapping the reset button after removing the bottom cap. If a normal reset doesn’t solve it, try a hard Factory Reset (push and hold the reset button for > 20-seconds) to ‘clear out’ any downloaded firmware to start fresh and it will now download new firmware, and then complete the setup instructions.

Some people have also had issues with the settings on their Ring App, that aren’t working as expected (for example, “Motion Alerts” are toggled OFF and yet you are getting text-type Notifications). There is a chance that your App is displaying “Record Motion” toggled ON but it might be OFF at the Ring ‘Cloud’ (since your settings are not really stored on your phone, but rather at their server under your Ring email account). So then, you should toggle settings OFF and then ON (or vice-a-versa) to " re-send" your settings to the Ring servers. If your camera’s motion detection acts like it has been changed, also cycle/change those other App settings (zones, sensitivity, etc) that might have been effected too (and ‘save’ where appropriate), and then put them back to the way they were prior to 30 September.

Doing this seems to fix most of the devices or App settings that started acting strange on or after 30 September. I got lucky, and simply unplugging my Chime Pro, waiting about 30 seconds, and re-plugged it back in which restored my Chime back to it’s normal functioning. Same for my App settings, by re-toggling and/or cycling my settings, including some motion settings, and then I changed my settings back the way they were, and this corrected my issues too.

If you already did the above fixes, but did them during the 30th, then retry them again.

If your issues still continue, ruling out the Ring “outage” was the cause, then you should telephone Ring Support:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19, their available hours have been changed also:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

I hope this remedies your issues too. :slight_smile:

For more details:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Accessories/Ring-Chime-pro-keeps-chiming-in-the-dead-of-the-night/m-p/…

2 Likes

Thank you Boone !
Your reply was super informative and hit the nail on the head. These issues definitely started around the end of September and it seems my ring devices were affected.

The normal reset didn’t quite do it for me but the factory reset seems to have fixed things for now.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

So I’ve been dealing with this for a month and just now found out about the server issue…I have done timed shut downs, full resets, recharged battery…looks like I need to get on the phone…this stinks