Stick up cam and solar panel not charging

I’ve had my Ring solar panel connected for 4 sunny days and it is not charging my Stick Up Cam. It still reads 3%. I’ve checked the connection and nothing is changing.

When I bought the solar panel, it said it would work for the Stick Up Cam.

3 Likes

Hey @Schnoomom! When you go into your Ring app > Main Menu > Devices > Device connected to solar panel > Device Health, does it show that there is a solar panel connected? If your app is not showing the solar panel as connected under your Device Health page, you will want to ensure the device is connected properly. I recommend detaching the solar panel from your device and then attaching it back, while also ensuring that there is no dust and debris on the solar panels and at the connection.

After checking the connection, if you find that it is still not showing as connected in the Device Health section, please try resetting your Ring device (not the solar panel) by pressing and holding the setup button for 20 seconds. After this reset, re-establish the connection your device has in your Ring app by tapping on Reconnect or Change Wifi Network under Device Health. This will take you through another setup of the Ring device in the Ring app. Once completed, check the Device Health again to see if the solar panel is showing as connected. If the device is showing as connected, please ensure you are getting 4 or more hours of direct sunlight to the solar panel during the day to allow a trickle charge to your device. You will also want to ensure that your device is not discharging more than it is charging, as you may have an excess amount of events that could be draining the battery on your device.

In the event you may not see the solar panel connected still, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here.

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. I’m losing more battery charge since I installed the solar panel.

3 Likes

I have had the exact same issue. Personally I think the solar panel with stick up cam combination is a scam. Even though e company says it should work it doesn’t. Ring/Amazon should give everyone who bought this combo package a refund. Or upgrade to spotlight cam for free. Apparently that is the only combination that really works.

3 Likes

Fixed: I have had the same problem. Battery not staying charged when on solar. 1 to 2 days max before i had to remove and rechage while connected to solar. It is fixed and its been a week and still at 100% I called customer support and they walked me thru a few settings. It turns out they have settings they can see that we can not see in the app. They had me change the power mode in the general settings to battery then push and hold the reset button on the bottom for 20 seconds so it would reboot. “settings/ device settings / general settings/ power mode”

It use to show the solar add saying click here to add to your system or something like that. Now it shows nothing. I dont know if the help desk changed any thing or not but I am no longer having the issue. Good luck and I hope this helps some one.

1 Like

Having the same problem, over and over again.
I have called and been told to change settings, so I did that and even bought a chime Wi-Fi extender and still have the same problems

1 Like

So I’m 20 feet up in the air on a ladder, in -8C snowing, and I secure the camera, and solar panel both with the optional gutter attachments. I had charged the battery and did the camera setups in the house before putting them up on the roof gutter. I then plugged in the solar panels in each when I got up to the roof eaves. After coming down and putting the ladder away, I get a notice saying I now have external power and I need to press a button inside the battery bays, remove the batteries in each cam and go through the setup all over again, all in the cold, on a ladder, 20 feet in the air, and snowing. I have gone through all of the instructions on every piece of paper that was included with the cams and solar panels and NOWHERE does it say you are required to plug in the solar panel while in the house doing the setup. This really needs to be put in the instructions somewhere, anywhere, that the solar panel absolutely must be plugged in before installing the cam and solar panel on your #%^}~ing roof!!! Well I guess I’ll see how long the batteries last on these 2 cams, I’m hoping till spring but I doubt it. I’m extremely disappointed in this setup and lack of plain, prominent, installation information that comes with the cam and solar panels. I also just installed a doorbell 3 and there is no automatic pop up when the doorbell rings, that is a whole other kettle of fish. Is there any way that anyone may know that I can get the solar panels operational without climbing back up on the roof and bringing them back down and starting all over again? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

2 Likes

I’m having the exact same issue. My Ring ustick p cam has been losing about 1% per day. It has about 4 hours of direct sunlight per day in the morning and it never seems to charge the battery at all. When I look in the settings its says it is connected to the battery under power source.

1 Like

I have the same issue connected solar panel and it dos not charge, when I checked with ring via Twitter i was told to do following
Unplug solar panel
Full charge battery
Replace battery
Press reset
Go through set up
Connect solar panel
Did this
The device should then ask me to go to battery mode but this was my mistake I said no stay in wired (assume the wire in the back means its wired)

Woke up today and 60% battery so I need to go again but change to battery when prompted

As this was Rings reply

Thanks for updating us. Go ahead and switch to battery mode; wired is only intended for the optional wall adapter for the camera. The Solar Panel should then keep the battery charged properly. Let us know if you still have issues after switching to battery mode; we want to ensure everything works properly for you.

Attempt 3 this morning lets see hiw this goes

My advice set this up before you install it as the number of reset pushes is silly

I will update you whenever I get thus working

I agree, the solar panel is rubbish. It should just. Like in and work like a power adapter. RING you should be ashamed of this poor product especially what you charge for it and the subscription fees

1 Like

Me too. It worked fine for a couple of months but even with 2 weeks of straight sunshine, I’m climbing up a ladder like an ■■■■■ to take the batteries out and charge them. I’ve even re-position the solar panel. No luck.

Same problem and I live in sunny Florida and have 4 stickup cams with 4 panels. They all worked great until this past week when a tropcal storm / hurricane hung around for 3-4 days. The cameras worked great during the storm but now it seems that they are all not recognizing the panels even though we’ve had three very sunny days.

I am busy for weeks to get the stickup cam and solarpanel working. I have tried all the suggestions in this Ring forum. But nothing worked. The battery is down to nil in a few hours. Even with all signals off. I have two Ring doorbells and are happy with it, but the combi of stickup cam and solarpanel is a bad product.

I’m having the same issue. In Battery mode, It seems like it uses power from the solar panel during the day but does not recharge it. The charge level during the day says 100%. During the night, it uses the battery and it seems to show the battery level. Since it doesn’t seem to recharge the battery, it shows the battery levels declining over time.

That is not how I understood this working. It is suppose to recharge the battery. But it doesn’t.

1 Like

Yess! The problem of no charging battery is solved. What did I do? In Settings I have changed the power to Battery, unplugged the solar panel and plugged it again and then pushed the red/orange button under in the stickup cam. Ring team, you should update the instructions. It is not clear if you have to use wired or battery during installation and solar panel connected is never visible.

Can you please upload a screenshot of what this should look like? When I follow your directions, this is what it looks like on my phone, with absolutely no reference to the solar panel. However I will say that in the last week or so, my stickup camera has started to charge. It is now at 100%, and since I rarely have any motion at this time of the year, I would assume it will stay charged throughout the winter. Have about 4-5 hours of direct sunlight first thing in the morning.

This is how it looks like in settings. It should be in Battery mode, there is no solar panel mode.

1 Like

I am loosing power to zero after a few days. Solar status: connected. the panel is looking at the sun in the afternoon, and it is very sunny in California. What is going on?

I had to call ring. They ended up replacing my stick up cam. They did it at no charge and only asked when it was purchased. 2nd note I had a battery that discharged to 70% over night and charged to 100% during the day. I swiched it out and now it never drops below 95%

Has worked well for me until recently