Stick up cam Elite has "poor connection" over PoE -- how?

I suggest everyone send ring an email, or create a ticket with support and refer them to this thread. Every time I call, they ultimately want to blame my ISP. Which makes no sense. Especially when I also have cameras connected via wifi with no issue.

1 Like

Hi All -

I have running into the same issue here. I have recently installed a new Sick up Elite using POE. I have tried different cables, using both a Meraki switch that provided POE, as well as using the power injector that comes with the camera.

Has anyone found a resolution to this or a reason why there is a “poor connection”.

Unfortunately, I have not. I did call Ring on January 6, and spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting with their first-tier support. In the end, the rep told me she would escalate the issue to their advanced tech support and have them investigate. She said they would get back to me via e-mail, but could not give me a time frame. Two weeks later, and I haven’t heard a thing. I’ll follow up soon and post an update here if they tell me anything of note.

I’d suggest you and everyone else with this issue call Ring like I did and open a ticket (squeaky hinge and all).

Thanks for the update. It’s very strange that when I am outside my house (not on the WiFi) I do not get poor connection.

You’re luckier than me. I get it about 95+% of the time when going into live view, regardless of whether I’m connecting locally (i.e. I’m at home on the same network as the cameras) or remotely (via cell data or someone else’s wifi).

@jkmccon wrote:

You’re luckier than me. I get it about 95+% of the time when going into live view, regardless of whether I’m connecting locally (i.e. I’m at home on the same network as the cameras) or remotely (via cell data or someone else’s wifi).

I would have to test this but I suspect the phone app does not communitcate directly with the camera even when you are on the same local area network.

BTW, the “poor connection” indicator has seemed to go away for me in live veiw using the latest version of the app.

@bob_m10 wrote:

I would have to test this but I suspect the phone app does not communitcate directly with the camera even when you are on the same local area network.

Agree – this is my understanding, as well.

@bob_m10 wrote:

BTW, the “poor connection” indicator has seemed to go away for me in live veiw using the latest version of the app.

Of my six cameras, the problem seems to have been resolved on four of them (all three of my new Stick-up Cam Elites plus one of my three 2018 Stick-up Cams). But it’s still definitely a problem for two of my three 2018 PoE Stick-up Cams. The firmware is “up to date” on all of them, so no idea why those couple cameras are behaving differently.

@jkmccon wrote:

Of my six cameras, the problem seems to have been resolved on four of them (all three of my new Stick-up Cam Elites plus one of my three 2018 Stick-up Cams). But it’s still definitely a problem for two of my three 2018 PoE Stick-up Cams. The firmware is “up to date” on all of them, so no idea why those couple cameras are behaving differently.

I posted in an earlier post, that “poor connection” may only measure Wi-Fi even if you are connected via Ethernet. So perhaps you have poor Wi-Fi to those two cameras but since you are on Ethernet this is a false positive. This is only a guess on my part.

@bob_m10 wrote:

I posted in an earlier post, that “poor connection” may only measure Wi-Fi even if you are connected via Ethernet. So perhaps you have poor Wi-Fi to those two cameras but since you are on Ethernet this is a false positive. This is only a guess on my part.

Possible, I suppose. But I consistently had the problem with all six cameras for months until just recently. So I doubt those two particular cameras would have any weaker wifi signal than the others. And the kicker is that I have a very powerful Ubiquiti wireless access point outside my home on my back patio… you can pretty much walk around the whole house and not drop below 2/3 wifi bars on your phone. And one of the two cameras that is still affected is only about 12 feet from that access point, so its wifi signal would be plenty strong (if I was using it).

Ultimately, I think we can all agree that this is a software problem. All my new Stick-up Cam Elites are working fine, now. How the problem got resolved on only 1 of 3 of my 2018 PoE Stick-up Cams is beyond me, but hopefully Ring is working on it. They refuse to provide any information on the status of this problem, whether its a known issue, etc. But at least they’re making progress, I guess.

@jkmccon wrote:

@bob_m10 wrote:

Possible, I suppose. But I consistently had the problem with all six cameras for months until just recently. So I doubt those two particular cameras would have any weaker wifi signal than the others. And the kicker is that I have a very powerful Ubiquiti wireless access point outside my home on my back patio… you can pretty much walk around the whole house and not drop below 2/3 wifi bars on your phone. And one of the two cameras that is still affected is only about 12 feet from that access point, so its wifi signal would be plenty strong (if I was using it).

Ultimately, I think we can all agree that this is a software problem. All my new Stick-up Cam Elites are working fine, now. How the problem got resolved on only 1 of 3 of my 2018 PoE Stick-up Cams is beyond me, but hopefully Ring is working on it. They refuse to provide any information on the status of this problem, whether its a known issue, etc. But at least they’re making progress, I guess.

I agree with you on the above, must be software. You have probably seen this in the APP but you can get get Device Health Report (Device settings, Device Health) which specifically mentions Wi-fi in the report. Mine always says poor. :slight_smile:

I too am using Ubiquiti AP’s for my Wi-Fi, good stuff, although PoE for the cameras.

1 Like

I initially posted this thread in the app subform . but I’ve had over the past maybe 36 hours every camerca in my home, whether 2.4ghz or 5ghz or wired PoE steadfastly refuse to send live video to the IOS app.

None of the wireless cameras sees a signal less than -60dbm. The 5ghz see -55 or better all the time, the wired speaks for itself. Without detailing my entire network–that’s not the problem.

I can be on the WLAN with the thing, getting hundreds of meg/sec out/inbound to anything. But the ring app for the past few days would suggest that the connection is too weak almost 100% of the time to connect to the camera. It’ll hit the wired one every so often.

Put the phone on LTE? Same thing. It’s either the firmware or the app or the backend, and I’m wondering if someone at ring can tell me if something pretty dramatically changed in this regard really, really lately?

Obviously this is a hot topic! I’ve been running stick-up cam wired for over two years now and “TODAY” I just started getting this same issue. So if the message pertaining to a weak signal from my phone is suppose to be a problem, I’m not sure how that could be, since my inddpendent speed test from my device 86Up and 96down - but using the ring app, it’s a totally different story where I’m seeing 20 somthing up and 19 down or vice versa. What’s really killing me is this thread is a 2019 thread which started around the time my video was really shaky with black screens; interference (from what I have no clue) and I received an update just before Christmas which fixed it all. So I’m leaning towards a push of some sort this time as a problem as I’ve made absolutely no changes on any of my cams and they are all giving me the same message.

Come on Amazon/Ring - fix this and also let these devices work with other hubs and hardware!!!

Hi, i have read all the poor connection over POE posts since late 2019 thru to March. It seems to continue to be an issue and a mystery as to why it happens with no effective help from the support team at Ring. I am now hesitant to purchase the Stick up cam Elite with POE. I have a few hundred feet of eithernet cable to the point where the cameras are. I am currently using non-Ring POE camera system today, which is working fine. But I am considering switching to Ring to integrate with my working door cam and it has better motion sensor features and alerting. So Ring has better features, but if the connection is unreliable, I don’t want to spend 3x$199 for cameras to go backwards effectively. Can the people that had previous issues provide an update? did this ever get fixed? is the cause now known? thanks in advance for any and all help.

@BBFV wrote:

Can the people that had previous issues provide an update? did this ever get fixed? is the cause now known? thanks in advance for any and all help.

I was never informed of the cause of the issue, but I can confirm that all of my Ring PoE cams (including the 2018 ones) are now working properly. I have no more “poor/weak connection” messages from any of my stick-up cams when I go into live view. So for me, at least, the problem has been resolved!

1 Like

I noticed it seems like a lot of users end up here because this is a challenging problem after doing all the work, and then having your efforts dashed because the app seems to not allow POE internet to connect.

After installing 5 of these cameras on Wednesday June 24, I noticed the first thing is selecting whether the camera will use the DC adapter or the POE for power, which is silly because the POE was plugged in and the camera was starting up, with the lady saying “Your Camera is in setup mode.” But selecting POE is obviously what I wanted.

Then the question is, do you want to use Wifi, or Wired eg Ethernet? After several long minutes, each time I select Wired, the lady says “There is a problem connecting to the internet.” I have to cancel out of the install, and start over.

As there is a housewide mesh network, the Wifi is an excellent connection with clear picture on all the Ring Elite POEs, but the whole point is to have ethernet providing the internet, without stealing it from the rest of the wifi devices in the house. I could have installed solar panels, it would have been cheaper. This is disappointing because there is no way to further troubleshoot the issue once you’re up a ladder and it doesn’t work as desired.

How did y’all get things eventually working? Was it an update, reinstalling the app, or anything else? Feedback will be most welcome.

David

This sounds like a different problem than I was having. I really didn’t have any trouble getting the cameras set up. But once they were set up, they were constantly giving me error messages saying I had a weak signal (even though I was connected via PoE) – despite the fact that they were otherwise seemingly working properly. That issue was clearly a software problem, and has since been fixed. So, not sure I can be of much help. I’d recommend calling Ring and having them troubleshoot/walk you through the setup.

I have the same issue. Just spent a lot of money running Cat6 out to a new detached building and installing a POE switch. I checked everything in house before the work and the camera worked fine.

I deleted the camera and then went through the install process (had same questions re: POE/wireless - as it was already connected to the switch and was getting power).

I chose POE and I get the ‘can’t connect to network’ error at the end of the process.

Just got 9 Ring POE and having stutter in both live and recorded view. Is this what you mean by poor connection? Or just seeing a poor connection on the app?

I think I found a work around for ethernet connectivity issues on the Ring Stickup Cam Elite (2nd generation) POE+ enabled.

ISSUE: When setting up the camera using the phone android app, I select power via POE and internet via ethernet. After a few moments, stickup cam announces that it’s trying to connect. Then it proceeds with error "cannot connect to the internet, check connection. This happens when trying to setup the camera even though I try to power the camera using a Linksys POE+ switch and also tried the Ring POE+ injector product.

For the workaround I discovered to fix this issue, please follow these steps:

1. Connect the Stick Up Cam to your internet router (non-POE+ enabled router is best)
  2. Connect the micro-usb power supply that came in the Stick Up Cam
  3. Put the Stick Up Cam in setup Mode
  4. On the Ring phone app, select power via POE and connect to internet via ethernet
  5. It will go through the setup and should connect to the internet (like mine did)

After your Stick Up Cam finishes setup, you can now disconnect from your internet router and connect the cam to the Ring POE+ injector

1 Like

I think I found a work around for ethernet connectivity issues on the Ring Stickup Cam Elite (2nd generation) POE+ enabled.

ISSUE: When setting up the camera using the phone android app, I select power via POE and internet via ethernet. After a few moments, stickup cam announces that it’s trying to connect. Then it proceeds with error "cannot connect to the internet, check connection. This happens when trying to setup the camera even though I try to power the camera using a Linksys POE+ switch and also tried the Ring POE+ injector product.

For the workaround I discovered to fix this issue, please follow these steps:

1. Connect the Stick Up Cam to your internet router (non-POE+ enabled router is best)
  2. Connect the micro-usb power supply that came in the Stick Up Cam
  3. Put the Stick Up Cam in setup Mode
  4. On the Ring phone app, select power via POE and connect to internet via ethernet
  5. It will go through the setup and should connect to the internet (like mine did)

After your Stick Up Cam finishes setup, you can now disconnect from your internet router and connect the cam to the Ring POE+ injector

1 Like