Stick Up Camera Elite - Motion detection not consistent

I’m concerned that this security camera didn’t detect this fishing boat near my boathouse. Any advice?

Here’s my settings

Record Motion ON

Motion Alerts OFF

Motion Sensitivity ALL MOTION

Motion Zone ALL WATER

Snapshot Capture ON, EVERY 1 MINUTE

Camera location 10’ ABOVE WATER LEVEL

See attached file. The first screenshot (from snapshot capture) shows the boat that didn’t trigger a Motion Event. The second screenshot show a boat in the distance that did trigger a Motion event.

Hey @CappyNear. Thanks for taking the time to detail your setup and show us some pictures of what your Live View looks like for a better understanding. What a beautiful view! After taking a look into this, it seems that the IR filter that turns on for this device may have a hard time validating if an object is moving and therefore motion when that motion is not in the center area of the screen, but off to the top or bottom. With this happening, it may miss a boat that is off in the distance, or one that is closer but towards the bottom. I also have a speculation that this may be because of the nature of the content in the video, being that the camera is always looking at a moving flow, that can be frequent with motion alerts too since it’s out looking into the water.

I’m curious, do you see this kind of inconsistent motion detection at night, or all the time? If this is happening frequently at night time, please check out this Help Center Article [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022461232-Motion-Detection-in-Powered-Ring-Devices T) for some more details on how this motion detection works. You may want to lower the camera’s angle down more to get the things happening in that area more easily picked up and in the center of the frame, since it will be activity happening closer to your boathouse.

Angling the camera down, day or night, should help overall with motion detection.

If this is happening still and both day and night, I do recommend reaching out to our support team to take a deeper look into this. In the event you may need support, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here.

Here’s a better example of this problem.

My settings

Record Motion ON

Motion Alerts ON

Motion Sensitivity PEOPLE ONLY MODE

Motion Zone ALL DRIVEWAY

Snapshot Capture ON, EVERY 1 MINUTE

Camera location 11’ ABOVE DRIVEWAY

The first screenshot (from snapshot capture) shows my car backing out of my garage that didn’t trigger a Motion Event. The second screenshot shows my car coming returning to the garage that did trigger a Motion event.

@CappyNear Thanks for the detail on this second situation. So you are having inconsistent motion detection on more than one device then, yes? Since this is happening on more than one device, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Our support team can over over a good recommendation for you on the optimal placement for the device, as most cameras should be mounted around 9 feet high, as well as go over optimal motion settings. You may need to turn off settings like People Only Mode if you wish for more consistent motion detection for cars, such as the ones that can come in and out of your driveway.