Stick Up Cam Recordings Have a High Pitch Whine

Hello. One of our Stick Up Cams has a high-pitched whine recorded with every video. There are no sounds coming from the camera and no sounds in the area around the camera, so it’s something internal that is causing the whine to appear on the videos. Is there any way to correct an issue like this, or how do we troubleshoot why this sound is recording with each video and covering up any audio that is happening in the area that the camera is recording? Thanks!

Hey @bwehner. Do you mind sharing a video example of this sound so we can hear what you’re hearing? When attaching this video, you will need to compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as YouTube, and then share the link to the video in your reply. Alternatively, if the video is saved in the Event History in your Ring App, you can choose to share it via email and copy the link that is generated.

Here is a video that has the sound in the background.

https://ring.com/share/c0054f1b-789f-40de-a95c-c78b06a517fd

This has been happening for 3-4 days, but today, none of the videos have this whine. It appears to have fixed itself, but it has me a little concerned as to why it happened and if it will happen again.

Thanks!

@bwehner Thank you for sharing this video so I can hear this whining sound! This can be caused from wifi interference, a problem with the device itself or problems with the internet’s connection to the device. Do you have any other Ring devices and have noticed this concern with them as well, or is it just this Stick Up Cam? Especially if it’s just this device, it may be the device itself, but our support team would need to verify this. If you see this come back up, please contact support and they can follow up with you accordingly on it!

For support when you need it, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know what might be causing this. We don’t have any other devices that are having this issue, so if it happens again, I’ll get in touch with support to troubleshoot it further. Thank you!

1 Like

I also have exactly this problem, just started yesterday. I have 9 cameras on the same network and this is the only one causing the problem. It is a stick up cam elite - power over ethernet with an ethernet connect.
Here is a link to a sample of the issue.

Please advise.
Thanks

We have several Ring doorbell cams as a property manager and two of ours are doing it too. Seems to be the only two we have that are Ring 2 (w/battery option) even though hardwired. None of our Ring Pro’s do it.

Was this ever solved? I have 2 wired up camera’s and 2 wireless cameras.
The wired cameras both have the high pitch noise 75% of the time. I have performed resets, unplugged and plugged in the network cables, restarted the setup numerous times.

The wireless ones are ok - not had this issue on them. TBH I havent been impressed with the camera’s due to hardware faults (had 1 replaced already), slowness in video retrieval/live viewing, breaking up of videos (on the wired cameras), etc.

I had the same problem with a POE Elite doorbell. It started happening about 2 weeks after install where any live view sound on had a constant high pitched electrical whine from the Ring device.

I unplugged the ethernet cable at the router - and tried a different POE port and it solved (at least for now) the issue. Given it’s happening to a number of folks, it seems like there may be a hardware issue with POE.

Hi @Oregon. I’m glad to hear you were able to resolve this issue by trying a different PoE port. If this happens again and none of the troubleshooting steps suggested in this thread resolve it for you, please follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here to explore more in-depth troubleshooting options. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.