Stick Up Cam - Motion Zone selector crops out top part of video

I’m trying to setup a Motion Zone for my Stick Up Cam so I can exclude the ceiling fan.
However the screen where you edit the zones appears to crop out the top 1/3 or so of the video screen.
iPhone screenshots attched. As you can see the ceiling and fan is out of view in the zone selector.
Software bug??

1 Like

I am also having this same issue

1 Like

When you tap the blue zone it should spring into life, as it were, with selection dots around the outside: you drag those to shape it how you want. (And can add two more zones as well). Impressively flexible.

The issue I’m having is that it doesn’t seem to work as advertised! I get motion detected outside the zone.

1 Like

I know thats how you edit the zone. The highest you can go is like on the picture that was posted. You cannot go higher.

It just seems that the row for the ‘Default Zone’ and ‘Add Zone’ buttons pushes the camera image up off the screen so you physically can’t select it with the translucent blue dots.

Defiantely seems to be a software bug.

1 Like

Yea that definately sucks. I hope it is just a software bug. The camera’s seem to work pretty good otherwise

Hi neighbors. This is actually by design. The Camera has a wider field of view than the Motion Detector on the Camera. When drawing Customizable Motion Zones, you will only be able to highlight areas that your Motion Detector can actually pick up motion. This Community write up here explains this new feature in detail. I hope this answers your question!

1 Like

Really…?

I had this camera above the garage at my former residence and I had to use the black-out privacy zone at the top of the camera’s view to prevent getting motion from my neighbor’s driveway.

If what you’re saying is the real answer than that is a huge flaw.
Why have a “security camera” with a motion zone less than what it can see?

I’ll just use my Wyze cameras instead.

3 Likes

I would like a better response to this answer as well. I am having the same problem, the top 1/3 of the camera view is now not letting me set it as a motion zone when it previously used to. The top 1/3 is some of the most important motion area I want and tilting the camera up would do no good. Why can’t the motion be picked up in the entire camera like it previously did?

3 Likes

When I first bought my ring outdoor, I was able to set the zone perfectly. I have a super dark area outside my bedroom window (that my apartment complex refuses to light). It was great, I felt safe. Now all of a sudden I am unable to select this area because it is in the “upper 20%” which essentially renders my product useless to me. What can I do to fix this? It is very frustrating and dissappointing.

1 Like

Hey neighbors! I wanted to step into here to clear things up and paint the full picture for you in this situation of using the Motion Zone feature and the Stick Up Cam 3rd Gen while wired via the Plug-In Adapter, or by battery via the Quick Release Battery and/or Solar.

If you have the Stick-Up Cam Plug-In (3rd Gen), this means that you are supplying constant power to the device and allowing it to operated on the wired device motion settings. This means that when wired, you will not see a crop when selecting your Motion Zones because the device will use our wired devices motion detection to capture events based off of your more in-depth settings to select from.

In comparison, if you are using the Stick-Up Cam Battery/Solar(3rd Gen), this means that you are having the camera operate off of the battery power that is available to it (and recharged to the battery from the solar panel), thus having it operated on battery device motion settings. These settings differ from wired and have some limitations to help conserve battery life and how the device functions, which is why you will see this crop. You can read more about how battery devices function with Motion Zones in our Community article here.

An important note from that article is that “Motion zones can not be extended to the full area of your Live View when creating these zones. This is because the area your camera covers is slightly larger than the area your motion sensors cover.” If you have your Stick Up Cam 3rd Gen operated via battery or solar, we recommend changing the power mode to Wired.

I ​hope this clears this up for you, neighbors, and if you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know below.