Stick Up Cam Elite vs Stick Up Cam Wired 2nd Generation

Other than the Stick Up Cam Elite includes a PoE adapter is there any difference? Are they both the identical camera?

Great question @PAStock! The Cams are identical in operation. The new Stick Up Cam Elite was rolled out to provide a simple, bundled solution for our neighbors who want a Power over Ethernet solution for their camera. If you currently have the Stick Up Cam Wired on PoE and you’re satisfied with the results, there’s nothing further you need to do. If you’d like to expand your in-home security with additional PoE cameras, we recommend you consider the Stick Up Cam Elite.

1 Like

Can someone help me out ? I don’t see a StickUp Cam Wired 2nd Generation as part of the product line. Am I looking at this wrong ? Here is why I’m asking. I purchased 4 Stickup Cams last year and installed them using Cat6 ethernet that connected to a POE switch. So are those stickup cams considered 2nd Gen ? And what does the Elite really offer over that - I’m confused !!!

Usually I don’t like replying to myself and don’t see much traffic on this question. The intro question had “Solved” as a reply. However, in the “solved” explanation, the poster contradicts themselves by saying quote " If you currently have the Stick Up Cam Wired (meaning a power adapter that plugs into the wall) on PoE and you’re satisfied with the results, there’s nothing further you need to do." Ok, since I hope that is clear. The elete claims to be the PoE cam, while the original stick up cam “wired” had an ethernet port that you could run to a PoE switch. So now I’m confused, what does the elite offer other than this so-called PoE adapter (which you did not need to begin with), is that it. If so, can we still get the stickup cam “Wired Ethernet” ?

2 Likes

You can see the 2nd Gen Stick Up Cameras by visiting this website: https://shop.ring.com/. You can also click “Products” at the top of the homepage instead of hovering and choosing “Security Cams”. Hope this helps.

Thank you marvs for replying. But that’s not what I’m getting at. The “elite” is being advertised as some new cam that can connect via PoE, but also being called second gen and I’m trying to understand, “what makes it second gen” and “elite”. When I look at the cams I have in my home, all connected to my PoE switch, without a PoE adapter(whatever that is) I’m at a loss to understand what’s so special about the elite. Now, if you said it was 4k and wired that connects to a PoE switch, I’d see maybe some difference, but just calling it “elite” and “second gen” does not make the product. Also, doesn’t the term “wired” also make it confusing since you have an indoor cam called “wired” but it is wireless and the only wire is a power cable. So the marketing of your product severely took a bad turn somewhere. To be homest, I’m trying my best to justify the increase in price for the ring cam “elite” when the old product was much better, since it’s the same.

2 Likes

I have the same question. Was hoping to start swapping out my old wired cams for these but totally confused now as well. I do not want to have to purchase an adapter for each cam, only one POE switch that will run all of them. Must less confusing than tons of additional wires. I would like to know the answer to your question too.

1 Like

I have been trying to figure out why as well, as there is a $100 difference between the two cameras right now. $200 for elite 2nd gen, and $100 for wired 2nd gen.

To me the ONLY thing I see is that the elite has a better sounding name… easily worth the additional $100.

2 Likes

I’m glad to see that I’m not alone. I know exactly why this is being done, but what a way to really make your loyal customer’s want to leave for your competitor’s by slapping and swapping labels and devices and saying their new. If they are improving the cam, I’d like to know how and where ? However, there is no sign that there is any improvement. I watched the video of setting up the elite and was totally shocked to see that they added a PoE adapter and darn near feel out of my seat that they took at cam that already worked via POE switch and broke it. Ok, if they are providing a camera with a PoE kit for those that have not purchased a PoE switch, that’s one thing and I’d agree that a price markup might be in order, but kill off an entire line of functioning devices and forcing us all into this thing, I can’t buy it. Ring needs to see that this is a deal breaker for me and probably many others and I’ll have to sale the stuff I’ve got and move on to something else, probably an NVR. I’m sorry to RANT all, but this type of deceptive practices really burns me.

3 Likes

@Marley_Ring wrote:

Great question @PAStock! The Cams are identical in operation. The new Stick Up Cam Elite was rolled out to provide a simple, bundled solution for our neighbors who want a Power over Ethernet solution for their camera. If you currently have the Stick Up Cam Wired on PoE and you’re satisfied with the results, there’s nothing further you need to do. If you’d like to expand your in-home security with additional PoE cameras, we recommend you consider the Stick Up Cam Elite.

Actually you might want to look at this community page. I also called ring sales and tech support. Still waiting back for an answer to this question. I guess no one at Ring seems to know the answer.

1 Like

So is it possible that the new “elite” cam is being rolled out for those that do not wish to purchase a PoE switch ? With the engineering and moreso marketing not realizing that “many” of us who are installing cams for security understand the technical aspects of the difference. This new cam should not be labelled as “second gen” but rather a direction for those that do not have a PoE switch or understand the technology. Not calling anyone out, but it would stand to reason that Ring is trying to make it easy for some not to have to worry about what PoE is or having additional cables for power, while ruining the experience for those that have a good handle on the technology. Keep the old stick up cam as is and add a new cam cal the stick up PoE or whatever and then improvide video to 4k, voice to stereo and allow integration with other systems.

Hi,

Just to let everyone know that the POE cams are still available without the need to purchase the second gen camera. I finally after several tries got to speak to a supervisor. Fantastic knowledge by the way and researched it for me and got back to me. You can still purchase the 1st gen cams. The second gen is just for those users who do know have networking knowledge. Cams are the same, same resolutions, same speeds, just $100 more for a built in POE switch to be able to connect to any network. I would have thought the information would be posted to this tread since I told multiple techs about the questions we had but if you want to know more information please contact Ring. I am purchasing more 1st gen cameras along with a larger POE switch to support the new additions to my ring family. Thank you Ring for having a great management support team!

1 Like

This is one of the most confusing topics with Ring. Support just told me the Stick Up Wired 2nd Generation for $99 does accept PoE directly if you have PoE already on your network. I’m still not sure what the Elite gives you. Even if you don’t have PoE on your existing network, it would be cheaper to buy their $29 adapter.

I think I may need to correct some of the information I was expanding on earlier, as I did not realize that the “original stickup cam” was still available (which is such a relief). the introduction of a PoE injector can be a pretty expensive proposition if you are looking at more than 4 cams, whereas a 12 port PoE switch would be about the same cost or just a little more to add to your network. By adding the PoE switch you get all the control of these devices (at least from a data perspective) to monitor flow and congestion. With the injector’s you just get power added, but nothing else. I don’t see any white papers on these injector’s so I don’t know if there is any ability to manage them via the connected network.

I don’t see the Stick Up Cam Wired being sold anymore.

Exactly to my point!!! Although I believe “They say” they are still available, question is “Where”?

Hi,

I will share my story about the cams. I bought 4 of them to start replacing older cams and was told they would be around for a while since I was going to be replacing about 11 cams. I would start replacing the other cams when I bought a new router and the proper POE switches. Put up the 4 which are great. Then I went online to order a few more since I had to pull out old wire and push in new ones. I could not find them from a link that was sent to me by Ring Customer Service. I also told them about this tread that someone should go on here and let customers know what is going on with the cam. I see that never happened. When I called and it took three or four calls and finally had to get nasty I found out the real story. The stick up cams used to be about $150 or so. There was a decision since most people do not know what POE is or what to buy so Ring decided to stop offering the cam with the two options of mini usb and eithernet POE. So they added a cam called Second Generation POE. It is the same cam without the mini usb and now includes less hardwear than the original stick up cam. But it does include a POE switch. Just a one plug deal. Stupid move I told several at Ring. Why would I want to install POE cams with an electrical adapter for each cam when I know what POE is and what it saves in installations. It was a corporate decision. So, if you want to add additional POE cams you have to buy the second gen cam for $100 more. It is the same cam, same functions, same design without the mini usb. I have 10 of these with my many other Ring devices. Sad story to have to share to the Ring community but sounds like corporate greed is taking one of my favorite companies because they are not listening to their long term customers who have been there since the beginning. I love my Ring products! Please know I do. So, I had to make sure I bought everything I need in case they jack the price up even more and move a different direction. It has been an experience to learn about POE cams but since I found this option. I am not going back to worrying about WiFi through walls or cams not working after I put up hurricane shutters. And yes, I have an awesome new wireless router, best they make and still have WiFi issues. POE is fantastic, no issues since it is wired, pain in the tail to get the equipment you need but once you learn how it works. FANTASTIC. I can tell you all of my Ring cams are working fantastic and the POE is FAR better than any of my WiFi ones, including my doorbell. I am not a professional installer and do not work for Ring but they still have my vote and really worked with me to keep me as a happy customer.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I suspected as much. I was surprised they actually changed the design to remove the USB power option. Did I read that right?

i though it was a repackage. I have two of these , a Ring Doorbell 2, Ring Doorbell Pro, and two V1 stickup cams with solar panels.
I do like that they added some inexpensive indoor cams. Maybe I will move the two PoE devices outside and get two $60 in door ones to replace them.

Hate the white.

Well I don’t know if it’s about Corp greed or not, but I can say for a fact that it’s a huge technology FOPAH move. They (Amazon/Ring) probably figured out that incorporating a PoE options (calling it that) to replace the native PoE capability would in some way generate additional technology advancement recognized by the community as well as financially. But I bet you more than anything they took into account the anger it would generate for those of us savvy computer nerds. I’ve seen this done by companies before and as I have in the past, even though I’ve invested in the ring technology, I’m looking for the next solution that will offer the original design with greater flexibility. I mean, think about this, as IoT became the flow for many of these tech giants, they all quickly learned that being compatible or Works With their competitor potentially ment reduced revenue for them because they could not monopolize certain features, so Ring does not work with Google or some of the others. How disappointing that now they are taking the route to frustrate their customer’s even more with this direction.

Sorry ring, I don’t want your PoE solution, I’d like a cam that connects via Cat5/6 I can decide for myself to connect to a PoE switch. You loose!!!

Just so everyone knows you can hook up the original stick up cams and the new second generation stick up cams to your own POE switch. Mine are working just fine without using the Ring provided adapter. :slight_smile:

1 Like