Stick Up Cam Elite vs Stick Up Cam Wired 2nd Generation

Hi,

I will share my story about the cams. I bought 4 of them to start replacing older cams and was told they would be around for a while since I was going to be replacing about 11 cams. I would start replacing the other cams when I bought a new router and the proper POE switches. Put up the 4 which are great. Then I went online to order a few more since I had to pull out old wire and push in new ones. I could not find them from a link that was sent to me by Ring Customer Service. I also told them about this tread that someone should go on here and let customers know what is going on with the cam. I see that never happened. When I called and it took three or four calls and finally had to get nasty I found out the real story. The stick up cams used to be about $150 or so. There was a decision since most people do not know what POE is or what to buy so Ring decided to stop offering the cam with the two options of mini usb and eithernet POE. So they added a cam called Second Generation POE. It is the same cam without the mini usb and now includes less hardwear than the original stick up cam. But it does include a POE switch. Just a one plug deal. Stupid move I told several at Ring. Why would I want to install POE cams with an electrical adapter for each cam when I know what POE is and what it saves in installations. It was a corporate decision. So, if you want to add additional POE cams you have to buy the second gen cam for $100 more. It is the same cam, same functions, same design without the mini usb. I have 10 of these with my many other Ring devices. Sad story to have to share to the Ring community but sounds like corporate greed is taking one of my favorite companies because they are not listening to their long term customers who have been there since the beginning. I love my Ring products! Please know I do. So, I had to make sure I bought everything I need in case they jack the price up even more and move a different direction. It has been an experience to learn about POE cams but since I found this option. I am not going back to worrying about WiFi through walls or cams not working after I put up hurricane shutters. And yes, I have an awesome new wireless router, best they make and still have WiFi issues. POE is fantastic, no issues since it is wired, pain in the tail to get the equipment you need but once you learn how it works. FANTASTIC. I can tell you all of my Ring cams are working fantastic and the POE is FAR better than any of my WiFi ones, including my doorbell. I am not a professional installer and do not work for Ring but they still have my vote and really worked with me to keep me as a happy customer.

1 Like