Spotlight camera no longer powers on

Still following this exact same issue. Troubleshot the same way as well. Hoping a solution is developed at some point. Thanks!

UPDATE:

I was able to speak to RIng support today via US telephone number 800-656-1918. The wait time was under 5 mintues at around 12PST. I spent about 20 mins on the line with them and the TL;DR version is that they are going to replace my spotlight camera free of (extra) charge.

For those interested, here is how the process went:

1. Company rep verified, via two factor, that I was actually the account holder. I needed to have my account email accessible while on the phone with them.

2. A detailed verbal account of the issue from me, and what I had done to troubleshoot.

3. A short attempt to troubleshoot remotely, on their end, which required me to have the malfunctioning camera handy. We essentially went over the same steps as described elsewhere in this post. They did ask if I had previously tried two batteries at the same time and each battery slot individually (which I had).

4. A shot period of time on hold while the company rep attempted to do some research. I had mentioned that I had posted on this forum and there were at least a few people experiencing the exact same problem. I wouldn’t be surprised if they checked the forum to verify; I presume there was a conversation with a manager at some point, in order to authorize the replacement.

5. The company rep came back on the line and confirmed Ring would replace my camera since I had the “extended warranty”. As an aside, I don’t recall getting an extended warranty; unless that is included in the yearly subscription which allows for monitoring of multiple devices.

6. Email instructions were sent, while I was still on the line, to explain the return process. A new unit is being expedited and I was told the return of the old hardware needs to be done before 30 days or I will be charged the full amount.

Overall, the RIng rep was friendly and helpful; even though the chat and email attempts to reach them were not as successful. I would reccomend calling as the best method.

I hope this is useful to some of you and you’re able to get the hardware replaced as well.

Cheers

6 Likes

I am having the same issue that began on 3/20 and have also tried all the recommended fixes. Battery is fully charged but not recognized by the spotlight cam which will not power up as a result.
Mine is less than 5 months old. Needless to say, this makes me very skeptical of the quality of Ring products.

2 Likes

Followed your support process to intiate a new spotlight camera as well. Because I mentioned I’d logged this issue on the CS page and followed many of your steps, they (Ring) just cut to the chase. Ok, sounds like you have a defective camera and we’ll send you a new one. Please return the defective camera within 30 days! Thanks for being the digital martyr for this one. All the best

1 Like

Received my replacement camera today and installed with no issues. My “defective” camera was 5 months old and fell under the warranty for replacement. This seems to be the standard fix at this point so I feel like we will not get an absolute answer as to what caused the problem. The camera also stopped working on 3/20 which, if I remember correctly, happened to more than one customer. If this is the case, it would be reasonable to believe that a software or firmware update caused the issue. So I am apprehensive of this happening again!!!

I will say that customer support was easy to deal with. I used the chat option and explained the issue, the troubleshooting steps, and my hope for a quick resolution. The tech did not waste time in going over the troubleshooting steps again and moved straight into shipping a replacement. I am ok with the replacement unless it happens a second time! Good luck to all others!!!

1 Like

Glad to hear that Ring seems to be doing the right thing and replacing the cameras accross the board.

For what it’s worth, 3/20 is probably the same date that my issue started as well. Although 3/21 was the date I attempted to switch out the battery, I had actually received an email alert of a low battery a couple of days before. Before I changed it out on 3/21, the app still showed about 3% battery life, but the feed was not connecting. For me, 3% battery life wouldn’t typically last more than a day. I think the camera was already doomed to plasitic brick status at that point due to some type of firmware/software error.

Here’s hoping we aren’t back in the same boat in the near future; cheers.

Same exact situation here! However, my spotlight cam is only 3 months old! All of my other cams work perfectly. I will be calling in tomorrow to figure out how to fix this problem.

Mine has imilar proble,m, since 20 feb. i did not charge it now iused new fully chargded battery and it does not turn on !

I will call them

Exact problem happened to me on March 20th! This is ridiculous! Mine is just over a year old and DEAD. Terrible for a $200 camera. And they want to blame it on my fully charged batteries?!?! NOT HAPPY

As far as I can see, there is not fix. It seems common that the Ring cameras last 1 year or less. Or just enough over 1 year so no warranty. I have had this happen with two Ring cameras now! Awful!

I have the same issue with two (I have 5 total) at the same time… the batteries are fine and are working in other cams. I tried to find a way to contact “support” but cant find anything… these are too expensive to fail so soon and with no support… I’m disappointed to say the least… I was going to add Floodlight cams but will be looking at alternatives now… does anyone have a suggestion to cocntact this company?

@dale2406 For the support you need, you will need to call into our support team. You can find all numbers to give us a call here.

Same happened to me this past week. I will call support and see how it goes.

Same for me. Called the number and they are shipping mine out. BTW I have two of these cameras and they both did the same thing.

1 Like

Thanks, this is the same issue that I am having. I will take your advice and call.

Thank you for this post! I will call in the morning and speak to a representative.

Hi,

I am having the same problem. Two days ago I charged both batteries for my spot light camera for 12 hours. The light on both batteries was solid green. However on putting them back to their slots the small led in the camera light red. The mobile app shows me the battery level at 4% and 2%. One of the batteries is basically new as I bought it only 4 weeks ago!

I am from Malta and unfortunately I cannot find a way to reach support yet. This a disgrace, expensive cameras which do NOT last even 2 years and moreover support is not handled via email or chat anymore!

@Ryanazz If you are located in Malta, you should be able to contact our support team via our worldwide number at [1 310 929 7085](tel:+1 310 929 7085). We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I’m having the same issue. This has been a headache all day long. I’ve had my spotlight cam LESS than a year. Also I’ve noticed that for weeks now, the “globe” at the bottom has been full of water. I attempted to get a silicone cover for it but that turned out to be a crap product. I’m not able to purchase another battery for my camera. But the battery I do have is fully charged.
I understand that nothing is “water proof” but it just seems really stupid to manufacture a piece of technology that is meant to be outside, and yet I can’t get water out of the alert light globe thing on the bottom. Very very frustrating.

Hi @Jennymbf. If your Camera has water damage, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.