Spotlight cam reset button

Dear Spotlight cam PM,

l’ve asked the community support call center agent to submit the following, but unsure they have the bandwidth or process to escalate requests.

I’m kindly requesting that an alternative to climbing an 8-ft ladder to press a reset button be provided. I need to move the spotlight cam to a different WiFi network, but apparently need to haul out the ladder to press a reset button. I’m not trying to reset. I’m trying to move it to a network with a better router. Every other device in my home, work or vehicle has secure procedures for changing networks or connections without needing a button (pins, pw, mfa, except for my 20 y/o garage door and openers (the infamous learn button). Having a physical button won’t stop a local criminal, maybe it will stop someone hacking in remotely.

I’m sure many would be glad to help you brainstorm on solutions since there are a lot of smart folks at ring and on the community. The fewer times we have to climb a ladder, the lower the chance of injury.

Thank you for your support.

1 Like

Thank youfor the feedback, @Ringalingaling - we assure you we have sent this to the team. Have a great weekend!

Hello,

our stick up cam on the roof needs a reset due to a new modem, any other way to do this within the app. climbing up there is crazy just to reset.

Any help.

Change the new modem to broadcast the same SSID and have the same password. It should then connect automatically.

2 Likes

thank you very much, worked perfectly. thank you

1 Like

Glad to hear it worked. I had a similar issue but with 52 devices in my home. Saved me an entire day of resetting everything.

1 Like

I am having the same problem. Need to reset my spotlight cam but I do not even own an 8ft ladder. This is really difficult for elderly women too who have to rely on others to get up on the ladder for them. In the meantime my spotlight cam is not working at all because I have a new cable modem. In fact my internet equipment has been replaced three times in one year. This means having a different network and passwords three times. That is also three times to climb an 8 ft ladder just to press a button. So my spotlight cam will be down for who knows how many days or weeks before someone comes along to help me with it. This is terrible! Seems to me that it should be an easy fix from my phone or wired computer to access the Ring app and make these changes with any of my cameras. Please do notify your programmers to create a fix for this.

Sorry to hear about this experience, @thePinkMouse! If you’ve only replaced your cable modem, and not your internet service provider or router, there should be a way for the network installation tech to re-use your previous wifi SSID and password. This will create the opportunity for your Ring devices to automatically reconnect, however, if your provider or router has also changed, this may not work.

Because a new network connection is intended to be done securely, this does require a button push on the Camera. While our Ontech team of professional installers are only for new installations, there may be local field technicians or contractors available to help you.

As we always value our neighbors’ feedback, I will most definitely share this with our teams here. In addition to the above recommendations, for technical concerns, our support team can always assist you further to potentially help you avoid resetting the Camera. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.