Spotlight cam battery people only mode doesn't work

Called support and they had me reinstall the app and reset the camera and reconnect it to wifi. Neither worked. It’s set to people mode and yet it’s alerting for every car that drives past on the street. It even flagged a passing delivery van as a “person detected” alert. Meanwhile, I can drive into my driveway, get out, and walk for about 3 feet before its triggered. Makes no sense considering all cars triggering it are obviously behind the driveway.

Hey @Greskod. Do you mind showing us a video example of one of these “people only” events that your camera is capturing, but it’s instead a car? When attaching this video, you will need to compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as YouTube, and then share the link to the video in your reply. Alternatively, if the video is saved in the Event History in your Ring App, you can choose to share it via email and copy the link that is generated.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. This one I can understand as the driver door is open and maybe visible.

The bigger issue is the multiple alerts for cars driving by when people only mode is enabled.

https://ring.com/share/b726cd26-5e18-4a77-92d2-6072bc2c684e

Hey @Greskod. Thank you so much for sharing this video example! As stated in our Help Center Article for People Only Mode here, occasionally when in People Only Mode, light reflection, as from an outside window, can activate motion detection. If you’re getting a lot of unwanted notifications look for reflective surfaces that may be shining light onto your device. In the video you shared, it looks like the glass from the UPS truck is reflecting from the sun, which may be triggering this alert. It is recommended that if this happens often to turn off the People Only Mode setting for your device, as well as turn down the Motion Sensitivity in your Motion Zone settings.

I recommend trying to lower your Motion Sensitivity settings first if you want to continue to use the People Only Mode feature to see if this helps, but if this seems to be a common concern, I recommend turning the feature off, as it seems like your area may be high traffic and have cars drive past it often!

Thanks, for the advice, however, I wouldn’t call it a solution.

It’s overcast in that clip as it’s been raining off and on for 2 days. The sun wasn’t out nor are there any other light sources. Glare or a reflection simply isn’t the case as it happened dozens of times during the day, rain or shine.

It’s unfortunate that the answer to the mode not being able to distinguish between a car and a human is to disable it. Again, there have been dozens of these false triggers.

I have turned the sensitivity down (almost off) and it still happened. Yet, today my wife literally drove into the driveway, got out, and walked 4 feet before it triggered. This is extremely disappointing for a device at this pricepoint.

Greskodd I do understand where you are coming from and I will ensure I pass on your feedback to the appropriate teams. Even on the more minimal motion detection, you shouldn’t have motion detection far out from your camera’s view in the street, but it to not pick up your wife coming into the driveway, especially if she gets out of the car and in the line of sight. It’s possible the eave that is right above the street view at the top of the camera could also be affecting the motion detection. Are you able to point the camera more downward, taking the eave out of the line of sight? In addition, how high up is this camera placed?

If we adjust the angle and FOV for the camera and what it sees and you still do not see improvement, it may be good to follow up with our support team on this as well. If you need to do this, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response toCOVID-19 here to see how to contact support.