Spotlight cam battery light 30s too short

Hi everyone, is it possible to allow the battery spotlight cam, to turn on for more than 30s when motion is detected? There is no option to change the duration under light setting. One of the reason for buying this light was, we thought it would be a useful light source when we come home at night but by the time we get out of the car, the light is off already. Hence not very useful as a useable light.

2 Likes

Hey @akshsu. You cannot have the Spotlight Cam Battery’s lights on for more than 30 seconds without manually turning them on. You will need to look into getting a Spotlight Cam Wired or Floodlight Cam for more control with the lights for a longer duration, as these devices can have the lights on for up to 15 minutes.

I realize this is a battery operated device but mine is solar and recharges its self daily. I see no reason why the app cannot be modified to allow the light ot stay on for a user selected longer period of time. It should be at the discretion of the owner to extend the time that the light can stay on. I have the same problem coming from a wired cam to the solar version when I moved and I am disappointed in not being able to change this setting.

8 Likes

Hi @mcelhany. Thanks for sharing your feedback on the light settings for the Spotlight Cam Battery and Solar. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. 1-5 minutes would be great.

5 Likes

I agree. It is ridiculous that the light only goes on for 30 seconds and cannot be adjusted. I have tried everyway to get the time longer and there is no way. To make matters worse mine only seem to stay on for like 10 seconds even though it should be 30 secs. Totally useless. In another thread it said you could adjust the time but they must have been talking about the wired model. Even if someone was breaking in it is useless as they can just stand there for 30 seconds and then they are back in the dark, which is what they want.

4 Likes

Agree. 30 seconds isn’t long enough.

6 Likes

I agree the battery powered spotlight cam is useless until the light time, motion sensitivity and motion area can be adjusted by the owner in the app as the wired devices are. We mounted this thing to a stucco wall10ft up with the a second battery and solar panel.

4 Likes

Agree! Far too short. You should be able to manually turn it on and off at the very least. I appreciate the batteries will not last as long however surely that is down to the user and I purchased two additional batteries with the cam just for this. @Ring please provide this option!

3 Likes

30 seconds is far too short, I wish it was much longer. We were fumbling looking for which key to open our door and it took longer than 30 seconds to get it out. Tried to walk in front of the spot light cam and the lights would not come back on… ugggh

3 Likes

I can’t for the life of me figure out why anyone would design the light to turn off when there is still motion being sensed. I bought this so the light would turn on while I amnoutside and need it. Nope. It just waits until I’m outside and just starting to do anything and then shuts off. So frustrating.

5 Likes

This is also a problem if you link it to Ring’s Smart Light bulbs. They’re screwed into a socket, but the SpotLight cam turns them off after 30s too. Not very smart if you want to use the camera to detect when to turn on your outdoor lights. The linking feature is pretty useless, as is.

2 Likes

I totally agree with all these comments. 30 seconds is ridiculous. Ring advise you can xtend the times, however the option to do this is not on the App.
Additionally the fixing support ball is not secure enough in the socket and cannot angle low enough to capture suitable angles. NOT HAPPY

1 Like

I agree. It is ridiculous that the light only goes on for 30 seconds and cannot be adjusted in the app. It would be greatly appreciated if you could fix this asap with an update :pray:

2 Likes

I have the solar panel hooked up as well thinking this would rectify the problem. The state they are “working on it” after calling, mine just started going fully dark about a week ago. There should be an option if you want to charge your battery more. Taking my dog out at night was the reason for having this and constantly clicking on in the app is ridiculous.

I have just purchased and installed the spotlight cam with two batteries and a solar panel. For the same reason mentioned above, taking the new puppy out in the DARK for toilet time, I can’t actually believe that I can’t change the light timeout. I will now have to take the spotlight cam down and install something different which is extremely disappointing! @Chelsea_Ring

1 Like

The fact that the spotlight Cam with solar only stays on for 30 seconds when motion is detected is ridiculous. If I would have known this, I would not have purchased it. In my opinion, this is an inferior product. I have 3 ring cameras, ring doorbell, and a ring alarm system which provide functionality as they should. Come on Ring, please add a function to allow me to determine how long the light stays on when motion is detected. I don’t want to hear from you, “it’s to protect the batteries life”. This complaint has existed since you introduced the spotlight cam, fix the issue.

Totally agree. Extend the allowable spotlight time please. You can do it! We believe in you! Go team! R-I-N-G RING RING RING! (I’ve had to restart the spotlight 3 times while typing this positive message to MY team). Stay strong. I’m now in the dark but I know you can provide the light. All of us backyard chargers are depending on you.
Let there be light (for 15-30 min at least),
JK

I’d be happy if mine stayed on for even 10 seconds let alone 30! when motion is detected the lights on my Spotlight Cam Plus flash on for about a second then turn off so that most of the motion event is recorded with lights off :frowning:

I agree. It a worthless security cam at night if the light can’t stay on longer. I’m taking mine back.