Spotlight Cam online but no video

Hello, we are new to Ring and looking for some advice :slight_smile: We installed a Spotlight Cam on our garage and when I go into the app to live video it just says activating and never shows anythings. It says its online, and I can also turn the light on. What else could I try?

1 Like

Hey @kristinejeseritz. Do you see any events in your event history? What is the RSSI for your Spotlight Cam? You can find the RSSI under the Ring app > Main Menu > Devices > Spotlight Cam > Device Health! Lastly, could you try the Rapid Ring app to see if that helps load your Live View? Let me know! :slight_smile:

Hi, I have similar problem. Just installed wired spotlight cam and no video is shown. First I could only see a screen with magenta color (no picture at all). And not it says “Activating devicde”, but never succeed to show the video. After some time it says “live video ended” and then a button to reconnect. The cam is just a meter from the wifi hot spot and I have also tried the rapid ring app. I can control the light through the app (on/off) so there is a connection. Initially two events where recorded and these are found in event history. The videos were just magenta colored (no picture).

thanks in advance

Fredrik

Hi @fmilton. Could you try resetting your Spotlight Cam and then reconnecting it? For the reset, you will press and hold the setup button for 30 seconds. After the reset, go into the Ring app > Main Menu > Devices > Spotlight Cam > Device Health > Reconnect or Change Wifi Network. This will walk you through another setup of your device. After this is completed, ensure you can access the Live View and that you have events reported in your event history.

Many thanks for quick reply!

I have now tried this twice. I even connected to another wifi. RSSI is -17. Please see my attachments. You see the Activating spinning wheel and the magenta coloured background. I also opened the tab where motion area is configured. Please see that attachment as well. The magenta colour is there as well. No events are added so it feels the camera is not registering anything at all. Oh yes, the siren works and I can turn lights on and off.

Worth mentioning is that I already have a ring door bell so I am familiar with the environment.

Thanks again

Fredrik

1 Like

@fmilton Oh my! Thank you for those screenshots, I see what you now mean for the magenta coloring. This is indeed odd, and to be honest, I have not seen this before. Could you please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here? We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Please let me know how this goes, as I would love to know the outcome of this odd situation! :slight_smile:

Hi again! Just to let you know; I talked with the support today and they came to the conclusion that there is a problem with the hardware so I returned it to the retailer today.

Kind regards

Fredrik

1 Like

Okay, I was searching through this forum for help with my ring camera and I Wonder if i have a hardware problem too. I have tie spotlight cameras, one of which works fine, the other intermittently doesn’t show video has a low RISSI value, etc. I moved the camera RIGHT NEXT TO AN ACCESS POINT and it still has problems. It doesn’t capture video and doesn’t save video even though the chime claims it has started. The location it is at has an AP literally right next to it… meanwhile when I have any other Wi-Fi device near the same AP, everything works fine. I called Ring and they claim that the device is working fine and the router is the problem… WHAT??? Everything else works except for the ring device. The customer support is terrible and never wants to help the people that spent hundreds of dollars on something that doesn’t work

I’m having the same exact issue🤔

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.