Spotlight Cam Motion Detection

Hey CBuser01,

Its frustrating isn’t it? I’ve done a ton of reserach on this camera since buying it (at little backwards but it is what it is), and I’ve learned some things. Before getting into that a final update to my situation:

• I got the solar panel last weekend and installed it. Works like a champ when its sunny out, and keeps my battery charged up to 100%.
  • I had to re-mount my camera to the brick, because I broke the gutter mount bolt into the back of the camera (I was so angry lol). I finally had it dialed at 9 ft and adjusted how I wanted it.
  • Camera is now at 7.5 feet up. I have 80% of my driveway covered by that blue zone in the motion zone setup.
  • Sensitivity is at 3/4’s of the way to max. Frequency at Frequent.
  • Still picking up on cars, but I’m also getting people when I want them.
  • Right now, I just play around with the frequency setting and seems to help a bit. But, its working for the most part, so just going to let it ride and see what future updates to the product bring.

After scouring the internet for a good fix for all of this, I’ve learned some things about these Ring Spotlight cams (battery, wired, and solar).

• If you can go wired, do it. The wired cameras have a better motion sensor on them apparently, and more optons for the lights. This is due to the fact that they have constant power.
  • They gimped some of the features on the battery cameras to balance battery life and camera functionality.
  • Using a solar panel doesn’t unlock any new features. And if you buy a spotlight cam solar, you’re just getting a solar panel. No features of the wired cameras get “unlocked”.
  • The wired cameras seem to have all of the features we want to have. Primarily, better motion detection and customizable motion zones.
  • There’s a thread in Feature Reqests in this forum where we’re asking for these customization options for motion zones for the battery/solar cameras. Please chime in on that thread.
  • The battery camera’s have no customization for their motion or PIR sensors. So, you’re stuck with the features the way they are until they allow customization if its even possible.

Bottom line for all of this: From what I’ve read, the sensors in the battery cameras are not as advanced as the wired cameras. So, we all might just be stuck with it the way they are. A wired camera is not an option for my driveway unless I hire an electrician. Maybe it might have been worth it given the time I’ve put into messing with this thing. But, still it would’ve been a high cost for what could be fixed with better technology and/or a software patch.

So, we’re stuck with the sensitivity slider that seems to be too senstitive in either direction (senses everything, or nothing at all until 5 feet away), motion frequency that doesn’t seem to work very well, and the ever popular lack of customization when it comes to the motion zones. I don’t understand why the doorbells can have these features, but the spotlight cam battery can’t, or even the wired one. I get it, battery life. Then send the unit with 2 batteries, or do away with the battery only unit, and send them out with 2 batteries and a solar panel (I get it, capitalism… whatever, everyone has to make money), and give us the features that will make this useful.

Like most here, I’m done messing with it. Its mount right, coverage is good in my opinion, but they need to improve the motion detection. Once they do that, the camera will be more useful. Right now this thing is just a warning point for letting me know someone is approaching my doorbell.

Anyway, hope this helps. Mine is doing what I want it to do, sorta, kinda, maybe. Would love it if it would just freakin’ work as expected and advertised.

1 Like