cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

brand new bought a few weeks ago spotlight camera + solar panel not charging here either
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I joined this group awhile back when my solar panel wouldn’t charge. I have a wireless outdoor camera/motion sensor. We had to climb the ladder often to get the batteries and recharge them. I too was frustrated and received emails suggesting to buys solar panel. So I did. It never charged the batteries.

We took it all down and charged the batteries for days ( they were done in 24 hours but we were busy over the holidays)

A person on this thread advised to uninstall and reinstall the device so I tried. The panel was connected and batteries were in when I reinstalled the camera. We put the panel in the sunniest spot in the house and let it go for a week. The batteries appeared to remain charged. So we moved it to its outdoor location where it would get move activity. It has been there for four days and appears to recharge. We check it often on our apps and the batteries show that they go down but then later appear full.

The days have been overcast and the temperatures between 30’s and 50’s. I will post again in a week to share if it is still working!!
Highlighted
New Neighbor II

One other thing I just noticed. We have a Ring Doorbell 2 with the solar charger mount, it is made by a different company, they make Ring accessories. This is on one of our rental properties where I didn't want to run electricity out to the courtyard gate.

Just got notified by the tenent that the app is telling him the battery needs charging. I have had that one for almost two years set up with the solar mount charger. So long I even forgot that it is on a charger and not hooked to power.

This leads me to believe that the issue is with the iOS app update. Either reporting the charge levels low or most likely not allowing the solar panels to charge properly. 

Highlighted
AVS
New Neighbor

Solar panels

I have added solar panels to my Spotlight cams. I can see the battery status but there is no solar panel status. Is there a way to get that on my app?
Highlighted
AVS
New Neighbor

Re: Spotlight Cam no longer charging by solar panel

I have two Ring Spotlight cams with Ring Solar panels. I talked to CS and they said they were charging ( they can see whether the solar is putting out or not) .
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Same problem here, batteries first started charging with solar panel now only can get one battery to charge. Solar panel gets sunlight and is clean ss why only one battery charging? I think this is a quality control issue and I have not seen a remedy for the problem. Why are there no direct affirmative answers from Ring? Shame to pay this amount of money without getting some positive action. Good product long on ads short on customer support and follow up. Bummer!!

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Just fitted the replacement solar panel that Ring Support insisted I needed. Guess what...... still doesn’t charge. Still has the same message on the app. Will leave it a few days and recontact to see what ring have to say again
Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Yup, my cams lost another 4% charge in the last 24 hours. I will not be changing and manually charging batteries every three weeks. I will return the cams and panels to the stores purchased from or look to dispute all charges with my banks and ship them back to Ring.

Looks like folks have been dealing with this since early November. Two months is far too long for Ring to ignore us and only offer weak suggestions.

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

AVS, what CS told you is great, but it doesn't address charge rate. Mine too are "charging" just at a much slower rate, about 75% slower rate than prior to last update. For those of us living in sunny parts of the country I would say some  can be attributed to the seasonalbe change, but surely not a 75% drop off.

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

The only Ring device I have that is being successfully charged by a solar panel is my Doorbell 2 that is connected to a non-Ring panel.  Consistently keeps it at 100%.  I am considering another third party solar panel from Amazon to see if it solves the problem with the cams.  It is more than disappointing that Ring corporate appears to be sticking its head in the sand on this one.