Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

So as of today, everything is charged to 100%. All of a sudden, out of the blue. Today there wasn’t much sunlight at all either. Mostly a gloomy day in upstate NY. I would give Ring credit, but nothing was ever wrong in their end…

Anybody else having the same luck I am today?

2 Likes

Happy to hear that your panels are now charging. Just keep in mind, you can NOT use one day as a baseline. Several of us, myself included, thougth our panels were “fixed” because of a couple of charging days. Just to see them reverted back to not charging.

Yesterday was a day with full sun about mid 50s, not one cloud in sky, at least six to seven hours of full sunlight on my panels. Still ALL four cams and doorbell lost at least 6% charge. While the A**o cam and panel has remained at 100% for almost a week, after charging from 50% and only recieving indirect sunlight.

Thanks for the heads up. Will keep an eye out and let the forum know.

I am having the same problem. I noticed the change in the app that says to add a solar panel and also the fact is that I have to pull the two batteries out 2-3 times a week. Unfortunately both my partner and I are disabled and have to place a ladder on top step in order to keep pulling batteries out and putting them back in. Ring first told me the problem was with the WiFi and I had to purchase a WiFi extender. After spending an additional $140 for another device, still nothing. I attached a photo showing the health of my ring. Note the section at the top that says add a solar panel to charge battery

I just checked all of the cakes with solar panels today and they are still charged. Each camera has anywhere between 10 and 20 events during the day and they are all set up with the snap shot feature. Tomorrow I will pull some used batteries from 4 or 5 stuck up cams and see if the solar panels will truly charge them over the next few days.

The weather here has been cold, only reaching 23 degrees today.

Same deal here…magically as of yesterday my Spotlight Cam Battery started charging on solar again, both battery slots are populated and both jumped from 90 to 100% and have stayed there through today. Have a feeling we received a firmware update that we don’t know about yet…cautiously optimistic…

thank god they have got a handle on this and the rest of the folks are getting back on line with the charging united everyone talking and complaiting got it done

No handle here. Nothing has changed for many of us, myself included.

Four Ring cams not charging. In direct sunlight for at least 5-7 hours a day.

One Arlo cam with solar panel, completely in indirect sunlight. Holding at 100% even if it has a 3-4% drop during night, it is charged back to 100% by mid day.

my app is iPhone 5.23.0

ring doorbell pro - Firmware 2.2.00097

spotlight cam - Firmware “Up to Date” as of 3/3/2020 currently at 4%

Solar Panel Status “Add a Ring solar panel to Extend Battery Life”

• duh that’s what I did back in October 2019!!!

what version is " Up to Date"?

looks like I’ll have to USB charge this camera again…

past month’s weather:

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/@5349705/historic?month=2&year=2020

pretty much sunny or partly sunny everyday…

1 Like

How did you get back on. My camera still isn’t reporting solar panel

Philadelphia, Pa. problem started in early November for me. Purchased 2nd batter but within a few days both are drained. Being handicapped is frustrating as the location of my camera and solar panel require a ladder be placed on top step of 5 front door steps. I called CS and they told me the problem is a faulty solar panel and that I would need to obtain the serial number off the back of the solar panel. Crazy that the serial number for camera is printed on my receipt but not the solar panel. Now looks like normal that I risk my life every other day to pull out the batteries and charge them overnight. Great security system…since camera isn’t activated when batteries are discharged and/or disconnected in order to charge them. TOTALLY unacceptable. Ring IT needs to revert back to firmware that was us e in September 2919.

Interesting how it is been a while since Ring even responded to our posts. Last time they basically said the same thing as before, pretty much blaming it on the weather.

Wonder what their excuse will be when spring and summer roll around. That now it is too hot?

I’m sure they will respond shortly with some fluff, but no additional info or actual help.

I have the same problem. Brand new and within a week battery is drained. The solar panel is plugged in. The app tells me to plug in a solar panel to extend battery life. The solar panel plug is snapped all the way in the back of the security camera.

I have the same problem. Brand new and within a week battery is drained. The solar panel is plugged in. The app tells me to plug in a solar panel to extend battery life. The solar panel plug is snapped all the way in the back of the security camera.

Got off the phone with support, and they are telling me that it is too cold for the cameras and will not charge when its cold outside. It’s 32 degrees right now, and for some odd reason, have worked for the past two years with no problems.

If I have 2 batteries, should it say “add a battery”?

If I have the solar panel, should is say “add a ring solar panel…”?

Last couple of weeks it’s been sunny, lows in 40s highs in 70s. None of my panels or cams are charging. Direct sunlight, mounted and pointed properly. NOTHING!

Yet the Arlo Pro 2 and panel, are pegged at 100%. That panel I mounted under an eave and it gets NO direct sunlight, just reflected light.

Once again, wonder what Ring will say when it is spring and summer. Wow it has been four-five months since this all started. Pretty sure Ring is just waiting everyone out.

1 Like

I don’t believe this. Mine stopped charging over the summer. It has nothing to do with temperature.

Last week my Spotlight cam started to charge:dizzy_face::smiley:

This week it stopped charging, it’s been sunnier and warmer this week than last week.:angry:

Has anyone heard from Jennifer?

Found my answer about Jennifer the last time she responded to us…the customers

Jennifer_Ring

Community Manager
‎02-13-2020 10:51 AM

It’s been almost 3 weeks.

Any updates Jennifer?

Ring forgot about us?

I can’t make my solar spotlight cam charge properly. I am an older female living alone and I bought this so I wouldn’t have to be up on a ladder taking the battery in and out. What is the deal? What can you do to make this work? If this is a known issue why isn’t ring doing something to fix it?

1 Like