cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Spotlight Cam no longer charging by solar panel

Support never responded to me either. They didn’t believe me that I don’t have a solar charger.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

@Jennifer_Ring

I actually spoke to Ring Customer Service, the sent me 2 batteries and I had to purchase another one and still that didn’t work...So idk what to say again...every week my spouse has to go climb and change the batteries. This weekend he even unplugged the Solar panel and connected them again and no luck...
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Jennifer_Ring: speaking strictly for 1st Gen Stick Up Cam and Ring Brand Solar Panel, I also had some issues with the solar panel not charging the battery towards the end of last year after it was not previously a problem since being mounted during the summer of 2019. I worked with your senior mangement (help line was not helpful) and posted a solution that worked for me on 1-27-20 at 10:31am. The battery had dipped to 67% from 100% in December and this week it reached 100% again after I implemented the changes described in the post. I hope that helps some Ring Neighbors.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I'm reporting back after having my camera and solar panel running for a few days:

1. I did not use the Ring mount as it just allows you to angle the panel up/down or left/right (depending on how you affix the mount to your wall). Instead I used the Wasserstein gutter mount available from Amazon for $13 that allows you to angle the solar panel so that it's perpendicular to the sun's rays. That's when the panel is most efficient.

2. I installed a fully charged battery and the solar panel has been able to keep the battery fully charged. The camera is in a spot with lots of activity so it picks up quite a bit of motion (meaning it's used quite a bit and thus consumes quite a bit of battery). Without the solar panel it would drop about 10% a day. With the panel it might drop to 98% overnight, but quickly gets back to 100% with a few hours of sunlight.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Out of interest does everyone have the solar panel option as the power source in the App under device health as I just have battery only. I've asked Ring but have not come back to me as yet. It says my firmware is up to date. Thanks
Highlighted
New Neighbor II

no my line says add a solar panel to help charge your batteries or something like that but i am getting charge to my batteries so as long as it’s charging i don’t care what the line says
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Thanks for that, no wonder my solar panel isn't doing anything as I doubt the camera is recognising it if its not an option an the App I'm using .

Highlighted
New Neighbor

34% for me - never charged from a 2 weeks ago... iphone app still says, connect a battery... ugh.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

In my case, going down to 30 degrees is a rarity where I live.  If  I remember right Ring batteries   have problems with extreme cold.  The temperture  dropped to 33 degrees one night. We don't get snow, but the mountains were heavy with it. All of the cams  have 2 batteries and solar panels.  One of the batteries on the garage cam dropped to 75% and fell steadily day by day. The second battery held at 90% percent, charged up to 95% for a day or two then  hung at 75%. When the first battery hit 27%, the remaining battery began to drain too. The solar panel has full sun, but the batteries weren't charging.  I ended up replacing both batteries with new ones. It hasn't been that cold since and I haven't had problems with charging.  Back on the charger, both batteries took more than 3 days  to fully charge and when I tried to use them in my doorbell,the doorbell was  was instantly dead.  I used a different battery and the doorbell worked again.  The the indicators on the damaged batteries said they needed to be charged again. I got rid of them. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Re: Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

Something to keep in mind for the hundreds of us.  About the same time the solar panel status field showed up the wheels came off.  Why is that?  Only Ring can answer that question and so far we've got nothing from them.  I'm appox. $1,000 deep in equp. costs and not happy.  My 4 solar powered cams are not being used an can barely stay charged.