Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

I am going to give it another week. If this is not solved I will be switchingout all the cameras for the arlo cams. This is frankly getting ridiculous.

Beth M, no the 90 days is generally for MAJOR electronics such as computers, TVs, iPads etc. Costco always states on receipt if the item is under a 90 day return period all my receipts for Ring products purchased from Costco do not state this. I had a Ring Doorbell 2 that I bought from Costco stop work after over one year. Went for an exchange and Costco REFUNDED my money. I then was free to either keep the refund or buy another one at either the price I paid or current selling price. Whichever was lower. I elected to buy another one.

Costco truly understands and values their customers. Costco takes care of their members when the manufacturers don’t. I am so happy that I bought the majority of my Ring products from Costco.

I love my Arlo cameras. I’ve had no issues whatsoever. Those on battery only last 4-6 months between charges. I have one on a solar (aftermarket) and that is great too. I have the ring doorbell for 2 months. I have had problems and I’m paying for the service and my Arlos have no fee.

1 Like

i have been dealing with this problem since i got this set up dec 27 but for the 1st time since i got it today it when from 65 to 66 % and it is cloudy he in NY so i am hopeful that it is fix the line still says hook up a panel but i don’t care what that says as long as the battery charges so let’s see if tomorrow when the sun is out it charges friday was my dead line but up one % is better then no %

GREAT NEWS

Yesterday evening I changed one of my Stickup Cams battery from a dead battery to a fresh 100% charged battery. The sun had already gone down, so this morning before sunrise, the battery had dropped to 96%, just checked right now and the BATTERY IS AT 100%, so I will have to assume the battery IS charging now. There has been quite a few events detected on that camera this morning, so I believe it is more than the battery gaining charge due to temp fluctuation.

Still have the “Add a Ring Solar…” in Solar Panel Status field, but I’m not concerned with that.

Hi neighbors. Thank you for this information-- it is greatly appreciated. The team is continuing to investigate this and trying to see if there is anything that happened in November (when most neighbors said this first started to happen) to trigger this. I will continue to keep you posted and appreciate your patience. Thank you!

This is great! Again charged up to 100% now. Was 97% this morning and it’s not even that sunny out today.

2 Likes

Happy to hear of those in the group that are experiencing improvements in solar panel performace. Unfortunately, I am not having a similar experience.

RING - please do not forget about those of us still having issues!

2 Likes

at lease we know that they are now working on the problem and not telling you to clean the panel and plug i have seen a slight change but it was cloudy he in ny we will see on friday how it goes all we could do is hang in there i had said until friday so i will wait

1 Like

My spotlight cam has also started charging again with the solar panel even on a cloudy day like today. The battery level was at 50% and now it’s up to 71%. I’m also on the latest Ring app update of 5.22.2 so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it since we haven’t heard anything about a specific fix from Ring.

1 Like

to all that are having problems with the solar panel charging issue go to the app store and download the new update i think it has the fix for this issue lot of folks are posting that their panels have started charging

lam2988

New Neighbor

‎01-23-2020 01:05 PM

Re: Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

“to all that are having problems with the solar panel charging issue go to the app store and download the new update i think it has the fix for this issue lot of folks are posting that their panels have started charging”

Thank you for the suggestion. I do have the most recent update. Hoping to see what may happen tomorrow with some sun as battery did not drop today (cloudy) after normal use…thanks! Crossing fingers.

1 Like

I am heartened to hear of so many people reporting charging activity and hope it pans out for me as well soon.

Please ask the developers to include information on the current device firmware instead of just “Up to Date” and if the Ring CS folks can tell that the panels are charging it sure would be ice for the apps to display the information already being sent to the mothership. Not including that critical information to the end user is, well, absolutely stupid.

my camera was dying at 7% and went to 15% in a few hours after manually updating the app in ios. What makes me believe it was just about a false battery reading in the app and not a physical hardware or firmware problem. Meaning the battery was always charging but the app did not know. it is still unacceptable to have the misleading message about solar panel, not knowing if solar pannel is connected or not and not knowing the firmware release version. not to mention the issues with bitrate and quality drops in the image even with the best wifi and connection.

1 Like

River2018, no, my camera has gone stone cold dead since this debacle started. It goes beyond a misreported number in the app.

I dont think it had anything to do with the ios app. Mine started charging yesterday but ipad updated a few days before that. Also I mainly use my galaxy s10+ which is the android app. Both apps showed the same percentage and still do. Android app had not been updated since mid dec.

hi have you gone to the app store and downloaded the ring app again they just put out a new ver and it is helping many folks that are having this problem hope it helps you as well

hi try this go to the app store and download the ring app again they put a new update that is helping a lot of the folks having this problem hope it helps you

Just to update the good folks on this thread.

This is day two with the Ring solar panel working as it use to.

Once again this morning my test Stickup Cam was at 96%, four hours later, it had charged to 100% and holding.

I just put freshly charged batteries into my other three solar powered Stickup cams. Will update everyone on Monday how they are holding/charging.

For those of you that are still having charging issues. Make sure to charge your batteries to 100% and then install back into your cams. It is much harder to charge these types of batteries from 10% to 15% than it is to charge from 90% to 100%.

1 Like

good for you unfortunately i have not had your luck yesterday my camera look like it was charging even when it was cloudy but today i had good sun light and it when from 68 to 69 % which is not charging the only good news is that it did go down so i am hopeful it will work i will give it until monday if not i will get my money back