Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

Hi - just chiming in as I just found this thread. Glad it’s not me!

I have a Video Doorbell, hardwired, and a couple Spotlight Cams, one on a solar panel with two batteries.

For quite some everything worked fine and in the solar Spotlight Cam both batteries were always pegged at 100%.

In October we had the siding replaced so the cams came down. In early December I reinstalled everything, and also got the new iOS app. Noticed the new features and the solar panel field. Here’s what I get now:

The Doorbell is NOT on a panel, but its panel status shows “Connected”.

For the cam that IS on a panel, the panel status shows the "Add a panel…"message, as if it isn’t connected. As far as charging, some sunny days both batteries run up to 100%, but other sunny days (like today) one battery runs down. Very flaky!

I think the prior poster referencing the app dev process was right on. My hunch is, the new features needed complementary app and firmware updates, and both went out buggy. Unfortunately sounds like Ring didn’t fund some ongoing maintenance dollars along with the outsourced development. If that’s the case, we may have to wait until they bid out the next full app update, IF they include this in the RFP.
It would be nice to get a meaningful update from Ring development.

Does anyone know of an open source or 3rd party tool that shows additional metadata, like firmware version or that secret “charging status”?

1 Like