Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

my product is new i have been with them in the pho e since dec install new panel last new thing they send was the camera and that did not fix the problem it’s still not charging i will give it until friday to call them and ask for a refund

It seems like many of us have the same issues. Our solar panels were working and now they’re not. It’s winter here in Nashville however we have plenty of sunshine. My cameras are two stories up and I have had to pay a handyman at least five times to come and help me with this stupid solar panels. One worked for at least a month and a half and then I had him come install another one and it never worked and then my first one quit working. I’ve only had mine for 3-4 months. Ring, It sounds like you have a problem that you don’t know how to fix. I suggest you guys figure it out. I spent a lot of money on cameras more on solar panels and even more paying a handyman to get them to work! Now I have no cameras working because the battery ran out and I don’t want to pay the handyman to come back until I know how to resolve the issue!

MiketheD, yup url, Amazon is good about letting you post negative reviews, even on their own products. Unlike a certain orange big box store, any negative review gets bounced back, but a glowing positive 5 star gets approved almost immediately. SMH

Cam and solar panel update, all four Stickup cams are completley dead, Ring Doorbell is dead as well, with after market solar mount.

Costco cheap solar flood lamps charging and working as they have for years. Some have more bird mess on them than a hen house floor.

Don’t think it is the sun, cold, posiition of earth or dirty panels.

Hi guys, I attached my solar panel to my spot cam battery properly. But the status in the ring app doesn’t change at all, it still shows “Add a ring solar panel to extend battery life”. Does this message suppose to change after I connect the panel?? I doubt the panel is charging the battery as well. Battery drops from 100% to 95% within a day.
Another question I have is the solar panel doesn’t have screw tab on the end of the cord, is this normal??
Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Regards,

James

Same here

In response to RING’s request for specific info:

I have one spotlight cam with 2 batteries attached to a solar panel.

First noticed the drain on battery sometime in November. One battery was drained to approx. 50% and would hover there. Now (mid-Jan) that same battery is down to 10% and often less (never gets charged above 10%). The second battery has slowly dropped down from 100% to 70% and never gets above 80%.

The problem persists and I do not believe it is from lack of sun, cold weather, or a dirty panel. The New York area recently had 2 days of spring-like weather. I expected the batteries would be fully charged rapidily. Did not happen.

It is not coicidence that many other customers are having the exact issue.

Appreciate someone from RING finally responding and acknowledging that RING has an issue to resolve for its’ customers, not quoting from a user manual.

I have the newest connector (weather resistant) - still have battery issues…

Is the lack of charging just affecting those with iOS devices or are Android users having solar panel charging issues as well?

that’s a very good question i am using iphone and it’s never worked for me

RING: I am using an iPhone/IOS - latest software

Forgot to mention what I’m using, iOS latest version as well. Reason I asked was is I understand that Android users are not having issues with the “add a solar panel” ad.

I have the app on my iPad and my Galaxys10+ (and my wife has the app on her iphone) and I have the solar panel not charging issue. I don’t think it has anything at all to do with the apps. It’s a firmware issue or hardware issue.

Jaywohifeld, I agree. So looks like Ring has at least two issues that affect iOS users. The panels not charging (bigest issue) and the Solar Panel status field in the mobile app.

This may sound bad, but it is good to know that Android folks are having issues as well. That really narrows it down to a firmware problem in the cams themselves.

well i can tell you in my case it’s all new stuff and they replace both the camera and panel and still no charging i had to buy another battery so i do t have to keep going up to change it that often but if by friday i still have this problem i will ask them for a refund

i got my stuff new and it’s never worked. ring has replaced the panel and the camera and still having a no charge from the panel i will give it until friday and will ask for a refund it dangerous having to change this dam battery not to mention i had to buy another battery

It’s a miracle! The camera was at 97% a couple of hours ago and it’s 100% now. Not sure if it’s a fluke or the firmware was updated with a fix? I guess I will know tomorrow once it loses a few % from tonight and may or may not recharge tomorrow.

Total sunlight and camera’s can’t get from 98% to 100%.

Here’s an anology for you Ring. You cook the perfect meal from a new recipe. Everyone loves it and wants you to cook it again…but you lost the recipe. What do you do!?

So Ring, did you loose the previous firmware? Did you write over it? About the same time I got the fancy new motion setting screen my 4 solar spotlight cams stopped charging.

ROLL ME BACK!

Thank you, neighbors, for continuing to share your experiences and observations. As mentioned prior, this feedback has been shared with the appropriate teams. At this time your solar panel should be operating as normal, keeping in mind the amount of sunlight needed, and the effects of cold weather or increased usage.

For optimal results with your solar panel, I recommend watching our YouTube video which contains instructions, as well as some great tips, on installing the Cam and Solar Panel. Feel free to reach out to our support team for further troubleshooting!

“ At this time your solar panel should be operating as normal, keeping in mind the amount of sunlight needed, and the effects of cold weather or increased usage.”

I agree, they SHOULD be. They’re not. Let’s not obfuscate the issue by even suggesting that “cold” or “increased usage” has anything to do with the problem detailed in account after account in this thread.

The flaw that you have introduced into these devices is clearly widespread and systemic.

I keep hearing that the appropriate teams are looking into this? How about an update on what they’ve discovered and moreover what they’re doing about it?

1 Like

“ At this time your solar panel should be operating as normal, keeping in mind the amount of sunlight needed, and the effects of cold weather or increased usage.”

RING: The wording in your post infers that something was corrected and we should all be back in business. Can you communicate what occurred on Ring’s end that would cause you to publish such a post?

I have experienced no improvement.