Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

My batteries were ALL at 100% with the solar panel attached… before the most recent update… Then I made the mistake of updating the app… After which, it took less than two weeks to go completely dead, WITH THE SOLAR PANEL STILL ATTACHED, started draining the battery immediately after the most recent update…

1 Like

Same story with me, pretty much same story with all that are on this forum.

Seems like Ring doesn’t care and is trying to blame, us, the weather, and everything but their update.

1 Like

All my stick ups and spotlight cams are not charging with the Ring solar panels. Only device that charges is the doorbell 2 with a 3rd party charger. Why not let us revert to the earlier firmware that worked?

1 Like

Same situation here. Hardwired doorbell shows Solar Charger Status > Connected. Spotlight cam with solar panel says “Add a Ring solar panel…”

My solar powered spotlight cam stopped charging a few months ago as well - Customer Service sent me a second battery and said that this should help since my camera has so much activity…(the solar panel can’t keep up) I charged both batteries and installed them at the same time. The app doesn’t recognize the second battery and the first battery is already at 95% after one day.

I have 5 cameras that have the disk at panel. Only 1 of them seems to be charging properly. They all say the same thing about “add a ring solar panel…”.

I though it may only register a solar panel plugged in when it’s sunny outside, but it does not.

Hi neighbors! I appreciate your patience while we have the team investigate this. I have followed up with them for an update, but have a few questions. Can you please let me know (roughly – date/month would be great!) when this started to happen? I see the original post in this thread was back in November but the most recent being this week. Narrowing that down will be extremely helpful! Also, if you have multiple Spotlight Cam Battery’s, is it happening on all of them or just one? Do you have two batteries in there or just one? Thank you so much for this information!

I have one battery, and have tried plugging it into both left and right slots. No luck.

Can’t help with the time this started. I just setup my panel last weekend and it doesn’t work.

Mind just started about a week ago. It says I have a solar charger connected when that is not the case. Your own documentation says the ring 2 isn’t compatible with solar. But it says I have it. Deleting the device and readding seems to have corrected the “not charging” issue for me, but it seems obvious everyone’s problems are related to software problems, not dirt and debris.

I am not sure when it started. I bought a panel in late spring and had never had to take the battery out to charge it. I only have 1 battery since I have a panel.

My best estimate as to when it started would be last Nov. It may have been sooner. One thing is for sure. It really kicked in when the solar panel status line was added. One other observation is that about the same time, I noticed the night time view is not as bright as it use to be. It seemed to start when the motion settings changed on the phone.

I have one battery in eash of my Spotlight cams.

All four of the cams are struggling to maintain. Even the cam that has a south facing solar panel.

I only noticed my spotlight cam not charging in early December but like many others, the problem could’ve started in November. I also only use one battery with the solar panel.

Thank you so much for this information. It seems like November is a common date. I’ll be sending this to the team.

Just to rule out weather, do you mind mentioning where you are from? No worries if not!

It is winter now but not when this started. I have called into support and I did receive a second battery as he said that this camera received a lot of activity and the solar panel can’t keep up. I installed the second battery and it doesn’t recognize it and the 1st battery is now down to 90% after 2 days. I will remove the device and reinstall it to see if that fixes the problem.

I also have this solar panel status and have a panel installed and the app is not indicating that a solar panel is plugged in. I have tried everything even resetting the Spotlight battery camera, reconnect to WiFi, charged both batteries with AC power the. Installed them but still app not indicating the panel is detected or their? Anyone know why or have this issue?

I am the original poster of this thread and I live in SUNNY Miami. My panels are on the roof and its always sunny.

that’s a wonderful idea on my app i see a line that says if you connect a solar panel it will help you charger the battery but the panel is connected when i call them it seem that they know if it’s connect what is it a secret we need to see if it’s connect

i just got mine and they have had to change the solar panel and the camera but i have always had that line may be what your saying the problems are on there end

1 battery, it’s happend since I got the camera AND solar panel - I’ve never seen the panel charge my battery and it gets sun ALL afternoon in Northern California

ordered 10/17/19

1 Like

hi i uste got mind too it came in dec and i have been on the phone ever since with them . they changed the solar panel even when i tested it with a bolt meter and saw it was pumping out the 5 bolt that it give out they change the camera i just got that back and i am installing it today but i think it still will not charge i also had to install a 2nd bat to give myself more time but the problem is at their end and i told them if this does not fix the problem i want a refund maybe more of us should ask for a refund maybe they will do something about this problem