Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

Interesting your screen cap says solar “charger” status.
Mine has “panel” instead of charger and the status is still to add a panel to extend batt life

So what do we do since the solar panel does not charge? I’m not going up a ladder every few weeks to remove battery and charge it. Whats Ring doing about?

6 Likes

This is the second time a software update seems to have stopped by solar power camera from charging. Is there any way to verify that your solar panel is connecting to your camera batteries?

1 Like

Removing and reading didn’t help mine. I had the same problem and was sent a replacement cam so it has just been adding and It’s still not charging and says add a solar panel when I already have one added

1 Like

Morning all.

I’m having the same issue with my spotlight cam & solar panel set up. After speaking with an advisor this morning they said they were unaware of this thread and any issues surrounding the solar panels being detected by the camera. They had me up and down ladders to get to my camera to reset it and eventually told me it’s likely that the solar panel is broken and are sending me a replacement. Although I doubt this is the issue I thought I’d go along with it to just appease them. And when it doesn’t work I will contact them again.
She did mention that according to their system my camera has 2 batteries in it- which it doesn’t. Clearly something wrong somewhere!

1 Like

I have 4 spotlight cams with panels. They ALL started acting badly at the same time. Coincidence? I don’t think so. Tech support was no help. I felt like I was training them not the other way around. I’m finding the cams will charge sporadicly as long as they have not been used to much. In settings, I’ve had to lower the frequency down to the lowest level.

Here’s the bottom line. For over a year, through all 4 seasons my 4 cams and solar panels worked great. This past fall all 4 began to charge poorly. What conclusion would any thinking person draw from that?

5 Likes

That’s always the catch all answer. And what’s even more frustrating is any “replacement” items they send are always refurbished. It’s not the panel.

I have a spotlight and doorbell. I also have three Amazon Cams that led me to this post (googling for issues) after my spotlight batteries stopped charging from the panel. (And all the same about the update and the new “add a solar panel wording ) I wanted to add another Amazon cam and would you look at that, they have stopped selling them because Amazon is working with Ring instead. All at the same time our spotlights go wonky with the updates. Coincidence? Nope. I’m sure it’s all a behind the scenes data updates forcing our already purchased products to go obsolete forcing us to buy more add on items or the newest. (Which doesn’t sell me, it just makes me go to a competitor AND advise family and friends NOT to waste their time and money.)

1 Like

My guess is this a ploy to upsell the super Solar Panel.

Tech support has been clueless

1 Like

I too am having the same problem. The Ring Spotlight Cam does not charge with the solar panel anymore. The Ring Stickup Cam does!

I have 3 solar panels and 2 Spotlight cams…neither of the Spotlight Cams will charge using the solar panels anymore.

Ring, please fix.

4 Likes

Same problem with my 2 solar cams as well. I even bought a new solar panel as the measured output seemed low. Obviously didn’t help so back it goes for a refund.

RING – You need to chime in

6 Likes

My front door bell device health shows me that “Solar Charger Status is Connected”

My door bell IS NOT CONNECTED TO ANY SOLAR CHARGER.

And the Power Source say" Hardwired" which the door bell is.

Whats going on Ring?

Ring why is my door bell showing solar power and my Spotlight cam battery is not charging my battery?

2 Likes

Well, add me to the list. And after a lot of troubleshooting it has to be a Ring software issue. Got a pair of Spotlight Cams and Solar Panels from Ring. Tried installing the first one and got the message. Then tried all possible combinations of cams and panels. Tried resetting - same result. Then I found this thread.

I have a Ring Doorbell 2 and two stick up cams on solar panels that have worked for ages (in addition to the new Spotlight cam I put in today that made me notice the problem message). They ALL now have the same message (“Add a Ring solar panel to extend battery life”). This is obviously a Ring software problem. I don’t understand why they don’t just acknowledge it. Ring support has always been very good. I’d just like to know if they will admit what is going on and tell us that they are working on it.

3 Likes

I’m beyond upset with this garbage called Ring. Due to bad weather, I went two days without my spotlight working - had to climb up and pull both batteries to charge. Prior to that, the solar panel WAS working allowing me to see videos just not live. Climbed back up and put the batteries in and one went to 96% and clearly was charged back by the solar panel (on an overcast day) Now, two sunny days later that same battery is sitting at 96%. Honestly, I should have just spent $2k to get a professionally installed and wired security type cam system for my house. My Ring and Spotlight are just toys now and not reliable for any kind of “home security” the way they false advertise. My amazon cams work 100% better.

3 Likes

Sign me up too. My panels charged my Stickup cams great until about a month ago I thought it was the lack of bright sunlight but noticed the same connect solar panel ad and thought the panels had gone bad. Glad I found this thread before I spent too much time troubleshooting.

Ring get your act together. Paying customers shouldn’t have to beta test on products and apps that have been out for two plus years! WTF.

2 Likes

Mine stopped working too after snow. No options to restart itself?

Ring customers: contact Help at Ring Com to report this issue.

Help@ring.com

1 Like

Is it possible that one must pay a subscription in order for the Ring Solar Panel to work? Our panels quit working right after three months.

JustJoe,
Did Ring Help help you?

Has it helped?