Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

Thank you for your reply and observations. It all makes perfect sense.

We are beyond the shortest day of the year now. Things should start to get better.

Just chipping in here. Have a wired v1 doorbell. Battery was always 100%. Since the app now shows solo at panel status (and it says it’s connected to one even though it isn’t). Now the battery is slowly dropping. Something deffo messed up in a recent update.

2 Likes

Mine stopped working in the last month as well. I thought the solar panel was defective so I had the seller on Amazon send me a new one and it still is not charging. Mine is a non Ring branded solar panel. What brand are you all using that are having issues? I wonder if they did an update that forces us to Ring solar panels only.

I have a Ring solar panel.

I am going to try resetting my camera today to see if it makes a difference.

I contacted customer support and they are replacing my solar panel. They advised anyone having issues with solar charging to contact customer support. Be prepared to have your camera serial number when you contact support.

1 Like

Is the only way to contact support by phone?

I did an onlie chat session. Clicked on help and get more support and then chose chat

When I called CS that’s the first thing they wanted to do… replace the solar panel, but I have 2 and they are both slower to charge than they had been. After the agent talked to someone in development they are aware of issues with the iOS app. Also I think that the app only updates the battery level when it performs a “health check” rather than each time the app is opened. I do not know how often the health checks are performed. I’ve seen times when it’s been 2 hours or more. I’ve not found a way to get it to check it in real time. The CS also couldn’t ‘see’ the solar panel on his end but development said that’s an app issue at this time.

With the shorter days coupled with the way the app is updating, I decided to wait and see. Once we got some decent sun yesterday both my spotlight cams charged back up. The one that gets the most sun went to 100%. The other is at 94% this morning but 2 days ago it was at 67%.

1 Like

I ordered my first solar panel spotlight cams 2 pack 2 weeks ago and they both stopped charging within 2 days. After numerous chat and phone calls was advised solar panels and cams are faulty and need replacing!! I decided to best solution was to return them for a full refund!

Then ordered wired versions this solved the hassle of how quick the solar versions become faulty but having slight quality issues with footage and viewing.

I would personally stay away from the solar panels until they fix the issues.

Yes - that feature would be great. My stickup cam seems to almost never have an issue with solar charging because it’s always at 100%. BUT my new spotlight cam was working great with the solar panel keeping it fully charged until a couple months ago now it seems to not work at all. I always check that the panels are clean and they are getting sun. Had to buy another battery. The ability to see a solar panel is connected and actively charging would be very helpful.

4 Likes

Same notice for me with the newest update. It used to say solar powered as my power source but now it’s recommending I purchase a solar panel even though both cams have panels connected.

2 Likes

So how do you get the batteries charged using the solar panel?

? connect the solar panel USB cable to the camera USB connector?

No it had been working but all of a sudden it stopped charging just like everyone on here described. But I haven’t heard how anyone fixed the issue.

Dismount camera and charge with wall charger. Return to wall when charge is 100%. The problem is latest firmware

MacX

Mine says that on the iOS app for both my solar powered cameras. According to support who talked to development… the app is not differentiating who has panels and who doesn’t. Everyone gets the statement.

My android app doesn’t show a line item for solar panel status at all and never has.

I thought mine weren’t charging but we’d had a few totally overcast and rainy days. After the sun came back out they are charging back to 100% each day as they always have.

Not sure support are dishing out accurate info as mine claims a solar panel is connected. In fact no solar panel is connected - it’s hard wired.

3 Likes

Support wants to replace my battery as well which does not make a lot of sense seeing how it charges fine when plugged into the wall and powers the camera fine. Did the battery replacement resolve anyones issue here?

1 Like

@Truck3rcl0ck wrote:

Support wants to replace my battery as well which does not make a lot of sense seeing how it charges fine when plugged into the wall and powers the camera fine. Did the battery replacement resolve anyones issue here?

Your lucky they want to replace your batteries only (not sure why though!), with mine they wanted to replace 2 x solar panels and 2 x spotlight cameras! not the batteries as they said that the devices were faulty.

If your within your return period i would send the whole devices back and ask for a refund as they are not fit for purpose. I know the wired versions are not fit for everyone but they are a lot better than the battery versions - yes they have there own issues but mainly to do with the sensors being overly sensitive, however i have not had to worry about them having any loss of power.

1 Like