Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

I’m having the same issue. I’ve spoken with Customer support and have been waiting almost a month for a replacement battery. Don’t know what good that’s going to do when it’s clearly an issue with the solar panel. I’ve disconnected and reconnected to no avail. I’ve had others look at it and the connections are good. RING what do you plan to do about this issue???‍♀️?

7 Likes

I’m having the same issue. I have two solar pannels side-by-side one charging a spotlight cam (no issues) and one that’s not charging the stick-up cam. Oddly, I saw the stick-up go down to 9%, then charged all the way to 100%, but then went down to 0% and won’t recharge.

Did anyone get a solution from Ring?

1 Like

I’m having issues also. I have 4 spotlight cams with solar. It seems once the temps get cold they won’t charge. I’m located in MA. Just got out of a text chat with ring. Trying to find out what I should see in the Solar Panel Status area under Device Health. All I get on all 4 cams is “add a ring solar panel to extend battery life”. I have a panel on each cam and it doesn’t even know it. I’m guessing the firmware on my cams is not capable of reporting. My units are all about 1 year 3 months old. Starting to tick me off.

4 Likes

Yeah that seems to be a new field for me and like you it says to connect a panel when one has already been connected.

2 Likes

I’ve just about had it with this charging issue. My 4 spotlight cams always charged. Ever since the line SOLAR PANEL STATUS was added to Device Health on my phone the batteries will no longer charge like they use to. If I had one cam I’d be suspecting something with it or the panel but when 4 stop all at the same time something is rotten in Denmark. Could it be the phone software is screwed up and will no longer report properly? I know when the temps get well below 32°F charging becomes an issue. We were at 50° yesterday with full sun on the panel. It would not charge. There was one instance sometime back the battery was not fully charged. It was a warm day, sun out but no report of an improving charge level. Right before the end of the day the battery level went from 80% to 100% in an instant. That’s weird. Yesterday I put in a different fully charged battery in a cam. From use it went to 99%. Right now it’s above freezing and the panel is in full sun. The cam has not been used but it refuses to go to 100%. What the hell is going on? Ring seems more interested in pumping out a variety of new products than in taking care of existing customers. I spent an hour in a text chat the other day. The guy didn’t have a clue what I was talking about when I mentioned the SOLAR PANEL STATUS field. I had to send him a screen shot. I had to delete the app from the phone, restart the phone and load the app again. It was the same software version. 5.21.0 I leave home for weeks at a time sometimes. I don’t have anyone to come climb a ladder and change a battery. I’m a pretty patient person but this is really starting to grind my gears. I’m going to start visiting some sales sites and expressing my displeasure. There has not been one Ring rep chime in here. Ring, please fix your software and end this issue. If I wanted to be on a ladder changing batteries all the time I wouldn’t have bought solar panels. One last point! You added the field to the software. Why? All it does is tell me to add a solar panel to extend battery life. It doesn’t even know there is one there.

21 Likes

Ring Support was able to help me. In my case it was as easy as reseting the camera and repeating the setup.

2 Likes

So completely reset and remove the device and then go through the whole setup again? That seems really tedious as I have the camera tied into SmartThings, Alexa, etc., but if that is the only way…

2 Likes

I just performed a hard reset. 35 seconds on the cam button then a regular push. Set it up all over again. Still nothing in Solar Panel Status. I wish I knew if there was suppose to be something there and if anyone else is seeing anything there.

1 Like

I have two spotlight cams with solar panels. Both have two batteries in them. I live in Arizona so low temps shouldn’t be an issue. We’ve had a couple of rainy overcast days. I noticed last night that I have that “add a ring solar panel to extend battery life” statement on both of these cams. At first I thought maybe one had gotten disconnected but then I see the notice on both.

I’m waiting on some sun to see if the battery that’s dropping on each starts charging again.

2 Likes

Jakcson… that status is new to me as well. I see it on my apple app but not on android. My two ring spotlight cams with solar (two batteries in each) is having the same issue. I didn’t notice until last night. I’m in Arizona so sun usually isn’t a problem. We have had a couple of overcast days. I’m hoping when the sun comes out they’ll charge back up.

I’m wondering if that “attach a ring solar panel” statement goes away when it detects charging or if it’s supposed to go away if it detects the solar panel.

1 Like

Less than a month after fully recharging the battery is down to 78%. Not sure what to do next.

I’m having the same issue with my Two solar powered spotlight Cams. Issue came on suddenly end of November. I now have to charge batteries manually. App indicates solar panel is not connected. I’ve never had this issue before November of 2019. Chat with rep did not help, nor did camera resets, or app reinstall. This is silly.

2 Likes

**For iOS users seeing “add a ring solar panel to extend battery life” read below.

I called CS… the person I talked to asked someone else about the “add a ring solar panel to extend battery life” statement . Developers told him that it’s on the IOs app only (not on Android) and that it’s there for everyone regardless of if they have a solar panel attached or not. It’s basically an ad. It’s not an indicator of if the solar panel is connected or not. They now know it’s causing confusion for customers that have solar panels attached.

Both of my battery spotlight cams have solar panels. One gets more sun than the other. We’d had a few overcast days here in Phoenix and my right battery on both cams wasn’t fully charging. Today we’ve had sun. The panel that gets full sun most of the day has charged that battery up to 100% (had been below 90%). The one that doesn’t get as much sun has gone from 67% to 86%.

3 Likes

Same problem here! Apparently the fault occurred in the last firmware update. I have two Stickup Cam, one Ring doorbell and the problem exist with solar panel and direct AC.

I’ve drawn the same conclusion. Since some kind of update things have gone to hell. Batteries don’t charge in a normal way anymore.

I had full sun today and 40°. The charge status wasn’t moving. Suddenly it jumped to 100%.

Fix the software Ring. We can’t be home to charge batteries all the time.

4 Likes

In addition to what it is necessary to take into account that there are thousands of Stick-up cameras and Ring video doorbell that have this problem and their users have not noticed it or they have not been able to solve it. Remember that they are surveillance cameras and security and even lives are in the hands of these devices.

2 Likes

From my understanding it is only the iOS app users that see the “solar panel status” line which was added with a recent update. And within that the line about adding a solar panel to extend battery life would only show up on battery cams and there is no detection done to see if it’s relevant or not (meaning it shows that regardless of if they have a solar panel already or not).

I know that the system performs a ‘health check’ ever so often. The time of the last one is in the “Device Details”. I wonder now if that is also when it updates the battery level which could make the levels take more of a jump instead of a steady increase or decrease.

I check the cams on my ipad as well as an android phone. The android phone app does not have that solar panel line or statement. I would have not questioned if my panel was connected or the system working right (as it has been since installed in June), if it had not been for seeing that line item on the iOS app on my ipad.

Thank you for your reply and observations. It all makes perfect sense.

We are beyond the shortest day of the year now. Things should start to get better.

Just chipping in here. Have a wired v1 doorbell. Battery was always 100%. Since the app now shows solo at panel status (and it says it’s connected to one even though it isn’t). Now the battery is slowly dropping. Something deffo messed up in a recent update.

2 Likes

Mine stopped working in the last month as well. I thought the solar panel was defective so I had the seller on Amazon send me a new one and it still is not charging. Mine is a non Ring branded solar panel. What brand are you all using that are having issues? I wonder if they did an update that forces us to Ring solar panels only.