Spotlight Cam Battery Motion Detection Range

Hi,

I’m looking for a way to change the range of my Ring Spotlight Cam Battery (with a solar panel attached). When I get into the app, I can only turn the three preset segments on or off, yet there are videos on YouTube showing how to create custom zones. I have no opportunities to do this that I can detect in the app.

Is it possible, and if so, how can I change the motion zones and / or control the range of the motion detection?

Thanks,

Ben

Hey @thehavengc. The custom motion zones that you were seeing videos of is the advanced motion detection that we offer on our powered devices. At this time, battery operated devices have their own specific kind of motion detection as you’ve seen, which is done in order to help conserve battery life. To learn more about the options you have for you motion detection, please read our Ring Help Center Article here. Additionally, you may want to look into repositioning your Spotlight Cam Battery, which you can learn more about here. Hope this helps! :smiley_cat:

Hi,

I checked out that link you sent, and I had read it before I posted. When I get into the setting for my Spotlight Cam Battery, I do not see a slider to control the size of the blue zone, as indicated on that link.

Is this not possible on the Spotlight Cam Battery? I have connected it to a Ring Solar Panel if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Ben

@thehavengc Thanks for getting back to me! The solar panel should definitely not affect your motion settings, so no need to worry about that. When customizing your motion settings, after you select to turn any of the three zones on or off, what screen do you have pop up after? I’ve noticed for my Stick Up Cam Battery that I do not have a picture with the slider, but just simply a slider that says Min to Max. Does this sound similar to what you have? If you can, please attach a screenshot of the screen you have after you have the zone selection screen so I can see what you see!

Hi,

I’ve attached screen shots.

Thanks,

Ben

@thehavengc Thank you so much for those screenshots! This is exactly what I was referencing that I have for my Stick Up Cam Battery. Rest assured, this is the same kind of Min-Max slider that is referenced in the Help Center Article, just with a different visual. I recommend to play around with the settings, knowing that the closer it is to Min, the closer an object has to be to the camera to be detected, and vice versa for Max. It’s best to adjust as needed to see what fits best for your layout.

Additionally, I have passed on the feedback to the appropriate team that the Min-Max adjustment is different for the Spotlight Cam Battery and the Stick Up Cam Battery in comparison to the devices we have listed in the Help Center Article. Thanks again for those screenshots to reference for the team and I hope this helps clear it up. :smiley_cat:

Spotlight cam has 3 zone ootions to set view width but lacks an option to adjust distance for the zone once it’s set. I selected the middle zone as that covers our driveway best. The ring doorbell is better on setting the view width and distance for motion detection. The doorbell lets you shrink both side to side view and distance. I also notice the spotlight cam is slower to start recording and giving the alert than the doorbell. If I do the spotlight cam less motion slider to min, the alert comes even slower. I do not want to relocate my cam to make it less sensitive to road traffic as I think I spent enough time up the ladder to place your device!

A newer version of spotlight should correct this or maybe theversion we already have could get a firmware update on this issue. I have the solar panel so more current draw to the batteries is not a problem.

Check under Motion Settings and see if you have the Advanced Settings Option. If so, turn it on and it will allow you to set your own motion zones. I have the Ring Spotlight Battery Cam as well and mine has the Advanced Settings Option.