Spot Light camera and external lights

I have external light wired to my Spot Light camera. The external light comes on when I first apply power to the Spot light cam, and then it goes off. Various help screen says there is an option in the ring app to turn on the external lights. But I have looked all over the ring app (IOS) and I cannot find it. Where exactly is the option to enable/trun on the external lights in the ring app? I have version 5.29.0 Thanks

Hey @jwardza. This option is for the Spotlight Cam Mount, do you have the Spotlight Cam Mount? If so, you can learn more about how to do this in our Help Center Article here. :slight_smile:

Yes I do have a spotlight cam mount. And I do not see the option to enable / turn on the external lights in the app. i checked everywhere in the app. I assume it would be under device settings, light settings. I don’t see it.

@jwardza Thanks for getting back to me and confirming that! This option should indeed be under the Light Settings, which you can see a screenshot of what it looks like here:

Do you not have an option at the bottom for Control External Lights? If you do not, please follow up with our support team on this concern. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Let me know how this goes if you do end up calling! :slight_smile:

I also have 5 spotlight mount cams installed. The aux light setting does not display.

Contacted support and was on the phone with them for 2 hours Transferred to different techs support levels. Was told they would get back to me. Never did.

Anyone have this issue? With Solution?

Note: Althought all the cams were registered as mount spotlight cams they show the spotlight cam wired icon. Deleted cameras, added them back same thing.

Hi @GallagherElectric! As long as the lights have been installed following the guidelines in our help center article, the lights should trigger at the same time as your Spotlight Cam Mount lights.

As it sounds like you’ve spent much time with support, you’ve likely covered steps such as removing and reinstalling the Ring app on your mobile device. I recommend also trying another mobile device entirely, if possible. Performing a new setup of the device in the Ring app was a great step to take. If you have not tried to, see if performing the setup on another mobile device helps. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

I have finally found what was wrong. When I added the Ring Spot Light Mount cameras to my app/account, I scanned the Mac address barcode and went through the setup process. I did not notice it added the device as a Ring Spot Light camera wired.

To correct: I went through the setup manually. And selected Spot light camera mount. And now I have the option to control external lights.

I wish there was a way to choose the device type when you go through the setup mode when you scan the bar code. Or a way with in the app to change the device type.

Thanks, Joe

1 Like

Thank you for keeping us updated on your results, @jwardza! Glad to see you’ve obtained the operation your were looking for. We definitely intended that to be easier than it sounds, and I will certainly pass this feedback and experience on to our teams here. :slight_smile:

1 Like