Solar status on app

@Why does my 2 stickup cameras say ‘add a ring solar panel to extend battery life’ for SOLAR STATUS even though they both are charging successfully using solar panel? My other 2 Spotlight cameras have no issues and their SOLAR STATUS correctly says ‘connected’?

Hi @mnsweeps! This is something our neighbors have reported in the past, but should since be resolved and reporting properly in the App. I recommend removing and reinstalling the Ring app on your mobile device, as well as unplugging and plugging in the solar panel again to see if this will prompt the appropriate reading. If this does not resolve the concern, please confirm your mobile device OS and version.

Tried all that and nothing worked. Using latest Android app version 10.

Have to chime in. I’m in the same boat. I get the advertisement for solar panels even though my panel is plugged in.

My camera stays above 90% battery and I don’t manually charge so the panel is working.

I’m on a pixel 2 xl, android 10, kernel 4.4. 210, ring app version 3.27.1.

Edit: forget to mention I tried reinstalling app, no change. Also, my wife’s pixel 1 shows the same status. It’s not a device or app installation issue.

1 Like

Hey neighbors! Happy to look further into this for you. Could you please take a screenshot of this message in your app for me under the Device Health page? In addition to the screenshot that shows the solar panel is not connected despite you seeing the positive charge, please let me know what camera this is on (Spotlight Cam Battery, Stick Up Cam Battery, etc.). Hope to hear back from you both soon! :slight_smile:

Chelsea,

Mine is a stick up cam battery. Screenshot is what I see and have always seen.

It’s been on a solar panel since I installed it. It’s on day 4 of being at 100% battery at least once a day and it’s sunny here. We use it constantly so I’m assuming if the panel were no longer working I’d see at least some drain by now.

Thanks,

@Nejstl Thanks for getting back to me with that screenshot! It definitely does seem like the solar panel is charging your device despite not showing it in the app. Could you please preform the following troubleshooting steps for me?

• Press and hold the setup button for 20 seconds on the Ring camera
  • Go into the Ring app > Main Menu > Devices > Camera > Device Health > Reconnect or Change Wifi Network
  • This will take you through another setup of your device

Once this setup is complete, check the Device Health page and see if the solar panel is showing up. If it not showing the solar panel is connected, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Let me know how this goes! :slight_smile:

So tried that. Got the camera back added. No change.

Additionally I disconnected the solar panel and reconnected it. No change.

I also removed and reinstalled the ring software from both phones. No change.

The camera is definitely being charged by the panel.

Thanks.

@Nejstl Thank you for getting back to me and letting me know that! Do you mind reaching out to our support team to report on this please? They can escalate this for you to see how we can get this to show in the app for future, since you are seeing it charging your device. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Please let me know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Hey , I have the same issue on IOS 14.2 with the Ring 5.33.0 for iOS . The stickup cam is charging with the panel but not showing up in the app and this it’s not allowing me to choose 5 minute snapshot capture . Did you ever figure out what the issue was ?

Solar Status does not show in the app for me either when I plug the panel into my new stick up cam battery. But it’s charging. IOS as well.

I have just purchased 2 solar chargers for my cameras. The first one accepted the Solar without issues, the 2nd camera does not show I have solar connected. Has this issue been resolved by now and could you please tell me how to fix it.
Thanks Steve

It would be nice if Ring focused as much in support as pushing their products on the app.

After the latest firmware and app updates none of my solar panels are working!

If ring doesn’t want to support I will let everyone know on sll social media to stay away from their products