Solar battery cam not detecting in wind

For the last two days my camera is not detecting any movement when it’s windy.
Motions appear but no person detection and at nighttime after two detections it will not put security light on and I cannot access live view.

Hi @Taylorcraftd! It sounds like the motion detection is working some times, but is inconsistent. Often times, when motion is inconsistent, it is either due to motion settings, network connection, or the environment. How high is your Spotlight Camera mounted? We recommend mounting around 9 feet for best coverage.

The best first step here will be to check on any motion settings you have enabled, to see if they can be optimized. Please also ensure there is not any motion scheduling or People Only Mode controlling your motion alerts. Motion frequency is also a great setting used for capturing back to back motion events. The most optimal motion detection will come from adjusting motion settings like these through trial and error, until you find a configuration that works best for the environment.

An optimal network connection will ensure that all events are captured and communicated as intended. Check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing this signal strength. Removing and reinstalling the Ring app is a quick way to ensure it is up to date and optimally integrated with your mobile device. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Hi. The settings have been working well for the last 5 days with people detection acting as it should and with notifications Only showing on phone for those. Motion detections are only showing on dashboard when entering the app.
Today was a good example as no “person” detection or motion detection when vehicles and people walking down driveway but “ghost” person detection and motion notified. Rssi is 43 with download speed of 34mbps and upload of 18mbps. As soon as nighttime arrives it will decide randomly when to activate spotlight and also randomly decide when to allow live view. I had missed 7 people at my door today and walked infront Of device last night 11 times without any light or detection notifications. Unable to access live view for 12 times over 30 minute period. All this since wind has increased.
Hope I’ve explained that correctly

Thank you for clarifying, @Taylorcraftd. That definitely makes sense, and you are correct, it should not happen. People only mode will still detect other motions, but not notify for anything that is not human-like activity, as you know. This should not cause missed notifications/ recordings, especially major events that may have been captured prior. If a reset, by holding the setup button for 20 seconds, does not help to improve motion detection and intended operation, this may require a closer look.

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Hi Marley, thankyou for such a quick reply, I’ll shall reset and monitor over the weekend before necessitating a call to your support team.

Kind regards

1 Like