Socket wont fit

Just bought a Ring wireless spotlight cam. Cant seem to get the socket to click onto the cam body. Worried about putting too much pressure on it. Doesnt seem to be any adjustment. Can anyone help?

1 Like

Hey @Ernie888! To ensure I’m understanding correctly, you are wanting to get the mounting bracket piece securely attached to the Cam assembly where the ball socket snaps into place? If so, you are doing it correctly! Feel free to apply a little bit of pressure and test to ensure it is securely in place.

Check out our help center article on Spotlight Cam Battery installation, which contains some great tips on mounting this device. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

No, that doesn’t help. Ball socket won’t fit even standing on it.

2 Likes

Hi @mkerpiou! If applying pressure did not result in the piece connecting, please check around the area to see if there are any adjustment screws. This part should be attaching easily, but if it is not please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I had the very same problem. Unscrew (almost completely) that sleeve around the mounting plate where the round knob goes into…you have to unscrew it almost totally. I hope this helps.

1 Like

I am having the same problem. I cannot get the ball into the socket even with my full weight on it (160 lbs). I cannot loosen the screw either. Am SO FRUSTRATED.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about this @TechGenie! If the above steps did not work, Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I am having the same issue… the tools given doesn’'t fit to loosen the grey piece so i can fit the ball socket… Help! Is there a certain screw piece missing… its like 6 sided and only have in box I have is a flat head /phillips head.

2 Likes

Never mind I figured it out… you have to use the screw driver tool from the" ring doorbell…". this is the one that works… it did not come with the cameras… no bueno…attached the pic of it.

3 Likes

I have to get a handyman to come out to mount three spotlight cams on the exterior of the house. I’m deciding to be a bit careful here. Again, I’m learning to be proactive with this company. I’d figured before my handyman comes to finish putting them on the outside of the home, I’d give the ball and socket thing a headstart attempt. Just in case it didn’t work. It didn’t. ‘Feel free to apply a little bit of pressure’? Nearly broke my hand. And that metal collar, and it’s screw cannot be unscrewed to allow it some ‘give’. Called Ring and they’re sending me 3 more brackets–think I’ve about stripped the screws on the metal collar trying to use the screwdriver they sent with the cams. And thanks to someone else’s post I called to ask them also to send me the screwdriver for the doorbell since, according to that post, it’s the one that actually works with that screw in the metal collar, not the one that was sent with the actual spotlight cam kit. They are sending all. Wish me luck.

3 Likes

Why would they ship this without the proper tool? A star screw with a hole needed in the middle of the screwdriver . Maddening

3 Likes

I don’t know if you got this answered for you yet or not but the orange screwdriver sent with the kits has two ends. Out of the box you see the Phillips head but if you pull the Phillips bit out of the orange handle the star key is on the other end.

Cheers!

13 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Did not know the screwdriver had 2 ends. I could not get the bracket neck open to snap the camera in place. I wonder why they don’t add that hint to their doc?

@rostov007 wrote:
I don’t know if you got this answered for you yet or not but the orange screwdriver sent with the kits has two ends. Out of the box you see the Phillips head but if you pull the Phillips bit out of the orange handle the star key is on the other end.

Cheers!

2 Likes

@marley_ring I also cannot fit the ball into the socket despite completely loosening the collar. It seems that this is a part mismatch or something. Please advise on replacement.

1 Like

Hey @hmla and other neighbors! If you’re running into an issue with having the wrong part or piece, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Same here. Beyond frustrated and ready to return the whole set up. I refuse to call and be on hold for 45 minutes.

Make sure the collar is off the bracket and loose hanging on the other part. It should snap in and then tighten the collar down. HTH

2 Likes

I had the same issue tonight… U have to loosen the screw located on the bracket ring. Then use screwdriver provided by pulling the bit out and using other end of screwdriver to loosen screw… If want pic let me know

1 Like

Same issue here, very frustrating. No amount of pressure gets it in. Is currently installed just hanging by the wire. Loosening the collar via the bolt has no helping effect, even to the point of removing. Any more pressue and i risk damaging the camera. Some sort of design flaw.

Same problem. No amount of pressure gets the ball in the socket. The tool in the box does not unscrew it. I bought 3 spotlights and they all have this issue. The install video shows it easily snapping in but that is not the case. I spent a lot of time trying to fix this issue. Really frustrating!! 1hr or longer waiting for tech support. Definitely a design defect.