Snapshot poor focus Stick Up Camera Gen2

I have a battery Stick Up Camera 2nd Gen. I have enabled Snapshot function which works but the picture focus on every snapshot is not great. On video/live mode it takes a second or so for the picture to focus into HD mode…looks slightly pixalated and then goes into focus. The snapshots however look like the initial start of the videos i.e slightly out of focus. Wi-Fi strength is OK - RSI over 50. This lack of sharpness makes the snapshots not much good for identification.

I have attached a snapshot to show what I mean more clearly. (the writing on the black box is a good reference point). Unfortunately it won’t let me upload a video due to format.

Anybody got any thoughts or suggestions please? Is this what others experience with snapshot mode or should I expect HD pictures from snapshots?

Hey @WhoRU. Snapshots are taken as a quick picture when scheduled to be taken in the interval that you choose, so if your camera normally has to adjust for the preview for your recordings, this may be why. Although, looking at the pictures you provided, the quality looks pretty good to me. Did you by any chance attach the wrong image? Trying to compare these two, I do not see too much of a difference in the quality, so wanted to make sure!

Hi Chelsea

Looks like the same snapshot got uploaded twice in error hence why no difference. I also wanted to upload a video as well to show that the video is sharper, although it takes a second to focus but can’t upload the saved MP4.

I had assumed that the lens in the camera is fixed focus so I couldn’t understand why it’s not in focus instantly, but if it’s an autofocus lens (is it?) then I can understand why there is the short lag before focus is achieved on video and snapshots are slightly out of focus. Still a shame though.

@WhoRU Stepping in for Chelsea here. No worries, if you’d like to upload a video example you can compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as Youtube, and then share the link to the video in your reply.

With that being said, the difference in sharpness can be accounted for by the resolution. While the recorded videos will have a resolution that can vary from 720 x 1080 px depending on the device and its connection, Snapshots that are captured are taken in 640 x 360 px. This is because Snapshots are intended to provide a quick look at what’s happening between the recorded events. I hope this clears that up for you! :slight_smile:

Thanks for explanation. However, as a security device, I then don’t understand why snapshots are at a much lower resolution given the camera can operate at a higher resolution. Very poor decision in my view (and not made clear in the app that snapshots are at that lower resolution).

@Caitlyn_Ring Thank you for explaining this for me and @WhoRU thank you for your feedback here! I will make sure to pass this onto the appropriate teams for you so we can make improvements to these kind of features in the future. :slight_smile: