Security issue with Ring stick up wired cam

Hi my name is Alfred and I have an huge concern about Ring security.

Currently I own some devices since couple years ago, we notice that my ring stick up wired cam turn on the light the last Friday at 07:36pm CST with no reason, I want to clarify that this cam is already configured to not use the light when its detect a motion and when this issue happened, no one was in the motion area.

As well, no issues with internet or power outage was presented that day because I have another cams and these cam not presented any issues.

So, can you explain me please the reason of this unauthorized behavior?

That day in the Ring’s app, a motion video was “processing” in order to upload it to the cloud, I waited hours to see the uploaded video but this never completed to load, after that I noticed that video was not present in the timeline of my recorded videos, just I have the last video previously the incident and the live video when I opened the app to verify it.

As reference, this is not the first time that happen and I don’t want to remove my cameras for this inexplicable issue related to my privacy.

Hi @Alfredo! At Ring we value your security and your privacy. For this reason, we have implemented various security features such as authentication to your Ring app and the Control Center within the app. In regards to any lights you might see on your Stick Up Cam, there are several LED indicators that might show things such as an update, or reconnecting to the network, as an example. Check out our help center article about your Stick Up Cam LED patterns, for more info.

If you frequently share your device to friends or family members, check your control center in the Ring app, which will allow you to check and remove any authorized client devices. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Hi Marley, thanks for your reply and as first comment, let me apologize because the correct model of my cam is “Ring spotlight” and not “Stick up” as mentioned in the thread.

Second point related with the 2FA, let me explain that currently I had activated this option since the Ring’s data accounts leak the last year, With this critical issue, I had to change and strengh my password to improve my account in security terms.

Third and last, currently my spotlight cam is installed indoor, for that reason it is just shared with my wife, the incident day, she was in our living room, indeed she thinked that I was playing with the cam’s light in as joke.

Well, once explained this points, I want to add that main cam’s light is configured to not turn on in any case, for that reason I’m very concern with this rare behavior of the cam.

Hope this helps to understand my situation and find the correct answer.

Kinds regards

Alfred

Thank you for that clarification @Alfredo. Rest assured this is likely intended operation for the lights. The Spotlight Cam’s lights has a greater field of detection for your lights to trigger, than it does for your Camera to record. The zones can be adjusted for lights and motion separately within the Ring app. Keep in mind, the lights detect based on heat signature which might be different that your Camera motion. Also, while you can turn off light zones and motion alerts, your lights can still turn on in response to a motion event, even if you did not get notified.

Our help center article about the Spotlight Cam lights controls, might add to the above information as well. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your quick response Marley but just let me clarify that I know how is the process related with the zones and motions, in my first post I mention that my cam is already configured to not use the light when its detect a motion and when this issue happened, no one was in the motion area.

Now, in your reply you mention “your lights can still turn on in response to a motion event, even if you did not get notified”. If this is the case, please help me to understand 2 thinks:

1. Where is the video record in my time line with the “motion”, because in my first post also I explain that a motion video was “processing” in order to upload it to the cloud, but after wait literally hours to see it, it never showing off in my recorded videos.

2. Assuming that something heppend, why the lights turning on if I explicit configured the app in order to not do it?

In your replay, I am understanding that the lights could be turned on no matter what, but Im a tech person and I’m not agreed with you, because this kind of configurations, should be respected the user preferences, I mean, this kind of things never happend.

I guess 2 posibles options in my case that I would like to clarify:

1. A bug app was presented, turning the light in random way (avoiding all the QA process).

2. Someone or something at Ring stablish a connection in my cam turning the lights on.

I hope that we can found the correct answer no matter what if it’s in tech terms, I will understand it.

Regards.