Security cam not detecting motion

I have a Ring doorbell as well as a Ring Spotlight cam set up in the front of my house. Both work individually and both fully charged. The motion detection is at it’s max level and the zones are all on maximum coverage. There are many times that the doorbell will show a notification when it detects motion (someone approaching the door) although the spotlight cam will not pick that same motion. For example, we had a delivery today and the doorbell recorded the driver approaching the door, the spotlight cam is looking at the exact same area (incl our driveway) and will not pick up anything. We have on-going issues that a package will be left and the spotlight cam is not detecting you dropped it off, although if I look at the doorbell, I can see that person.

Why would the spotlight not pick that up when all the zones and settings are set up to detect any and all motion?

I, too, am having the same issue with things not appearing on camera. This morning, a large FedEx truck pulled in the driveway directly in front of the camera. The doorbell caught him when he dropped off the package, but the spotlight light cam showed nothing of his truck arriving or leaving. The same thing happened last week when landscapers were there… they dropped off a trailer the night before working and I happened to go outside and discovered the trailer. No evidence of them coming or going. When they pick it up the next evening… nothing. But every car that drives down the street or when I’m outside mowing the yard … gotcha! This is getting very frustrating.

Hey neighbors! I’m happy to step in and offer some guidance here. You both seem to be having a similar concern with the motion detection that sounds like it may be due to the positioning of the Spotlight Cam itself. I’d suggest taking a look at this Help Center Article on the proper positioning for the Spotlight Cam Battery here. You’ll want to ensure that the Camera is mounted approximately 9 feet above the ground and that it is not angled too high or too low as this will impact its motion detection. Feel free to attach a screenshot of what your Motion Zones currently look like and I’d be happy to take a look and see if I can recommend any adjustments. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your assistance, my spotlight cam is at the recommended height. I’ve attached photos so you could see the zone settings and where it should detect motion, esp a person.

Thank you

@tracym Thanks for taking the time to share those screenshots with me. Is your Spotlight Cam parallel to the ground, or do you have it angled down or up at all? Do you have People Only Mode enabled, and what is your Motion Frequency set at?

Thank you for your help. My Motion Frequency is set to Standard and this is the picture of the spotlight cam. It said the recommended height was 9 feet.

@tracym Thank you for sharing that picture with me. Yes the mounting height itself is okay. I asked about how it was angled as the bulb on the bottom is the motion sensor. when the Camera is angled downward or upward too much, this can impact its ability to accurately detect motion.

I’d recommend trying to adjust the Motion Frequency to Light to see if that helps out. If not, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They’ll be able to look more closely into your device to determine what is causing this. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support.