Security Cams Feature Request

Update March 16, 2020: Attention neighbors! You may have noticed this thread no longer accepts new comments. No worries- as an exciting new part of the Community, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to share any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our team, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Thank you!

Hi neighbors! At Ring, we take feedback and feature request very seriously. That’s why we’re creating this special post, where you can share any wish list items you’d like to go with your current Ring device. We’ll keep this post pinned to the top of the Security Cam board so you can easily access it. Be sure to do a quick search and see if your item is already on the list to avoid duplicates. If it is, go ahead and give it a ‘kudo’ so we know that is what you want too!

Please note, that anything you disclose to us by commenting on this post will be the property of Ring. Please see our Terms of Service for more information. We look forward to hearing your feature requests!

**Update February 12, 2020: ** Hi neighbors! We are working on updating this thread to be a bit more organized. Therefore, we have turned off the ability to comment for now. Stay tuned for an exciting new part of the Community, coming soon :slight_smile:

5 Likes
  1. I would like the ability to have an audible alarm sound during certain times. For instances, I have one watching where I park. From midnight to 5 AM I would like the alarm to sound anytime it detects someone. We have a lot of vehicle break ins around my area and my old system did this.

2. Include a thumbnail clip of the motion on the alert when receiving notifications

3. Ability to see what triggered the motion by putting a box around the motion or some other method. This would also help in adjusting the system sensativity and motion zones.

32 Likes

Sound siren on all (or selected) cams when siren on alarm is activated

And +1 on the above 3 points

23 Likes

I would like to be able to turn on my floodlight cam with Alexa. My dogs need to go out after dark and I would like to turn on the light before I open the door. I know I can do that with the app, but it would be much easier to just tell Alexa to turn on the light especially in the middle of the night. I know Alexa can turn on some Ring lights, but I have not found a way to do it with the floodlight cam specifically.

21 Likes

Be able to turn off the motion sensors as per a schedule.

We are using our spotlight cam in our front office area and would like to be able to disable it during certain days and times.

25 Likes

@thptrek wrote:

Be able to turn off the motion sensors as per a schedule.

We are using our spotlight cam in our front office area and would like to be able to disable it during certain days and times.

This feature is already availible, just go to motion settings in the camera youd like a schedule, and one of the options should be motion schedule. Good luck!

4 Likes

The motion schedule just seems to disable the alerts. The camera is still picking up motion and logging history events. This causes the camera to still be active and runs the battery down real quick.

14 Likes

@thptrek wrote:

The motion schedule just seems to disable the alerts. The camera is still picking up motion and logging history events. This causes the camera to still be active and runs the battery down real quick.

Ah, forgive me, i misundersood. This is a very good point.

2 Likes

All of this. Plus, on Solar Cameras, make the 30 second video keep recording if motion continues to be detected. The 30 seconds is a joke. I’d rather have a dead battery than miss someone breaking into my house.

26 Likes

Hi mackhax0r, have you set the Motion Frequecy to “frequent”? This will help reduce the cooldown/gap between motion triggered videos to the minimum.

3 Likes

Hello,

I would like a feature to control multiple motion zones independently.

Example:

Motion Zone 1 set to record motion (but not turn on lights or send alerts).

Motion Zone 2 set to record, turn on lights and send alerts.

Motion Zone 3 record, turn on lights, send alerts, sound alarm.

Thank you.

27 Likes

Hi to the Community.

Forgive me if this might have been requested elsewhere (I’m a newbie), but what about a date/timestamp on recorded video? I think it would be quite useful.

22 Likes

I installed both of my Spotlight Cam that use Batteries, and compared to my Wired one, wired floodlight, and Pro doorbell I am a little disappointed with the motion settings. When I go to motion settings, then to zones it asks me how far out I want to do all 3 zones, but it does not visualy show me how far those zones go. I wish the zone was overlaidover on a picture of what the camera sees. Also wish you could adjust each of the 3 zones with a different depth. Two of the zones I would like fully used and one of the zones I would online only the first 3rd.

I get that these motion settings are to conserve battery, but when when you have two batteries in each camera and Solar I should have more then enough power for better motion settings. I just wish there was a way to unlock those settings if you are using duel batteries and Solar.

14 Likes

Outdoor camera with Solar and duel bateries should have more more motion settings avaialble like a plug in camera does. With Solar and Duel bateries you have a ton a batery life mostly with the solar I can’t get one below 88% even after doing a lot of lawn work around them. With in a couple hours I am back to 100%.

I just got the duel setup because knowing once winter comes cooler temps and less sun might into to the bareries more.

9 Likes

Hello, I have used my Spotlight cam to observe my back door on a patio. It seems to work great except for one significant issue. There are many times that I would like to turn off the motion and video features all together while I have a patio party for example… Also, I sit on my patio everyday to enjoy my back yard and I am always being recorded. This is a problem for me. The only way I have been able to accomplish this is to get my ladder and pull the battery. This pretty much makes my cam useless for practival use. Therefore, I request that the development team add the ability to choose either or both motion and recording as options to suspend using snooze. Then I could not only defeat the motion notiifications, but I could also defeat recordings. This is prudent in many ways: first, it will allow my battery to last more than a month, second, it will save enermous amount of space on the recording server and internet bandwidth, and lastly, it will reduce the ridiculus amount of email notificaitons I receive. It would be similiar to conserving water or electricity. It will make this device more ECO friendly. Thanks

13 Likes

Hello, we love the floodlight cam, but would really like to be able to have different detection zones for night time and day time use. I know there is a way to turn off motion detection based on schedule but that’s not good enough.

Thanks!

11 Likes

I agree. I want this to be possible on the spot light camera just like it is on the doorbell pro.

3 Likes

We thought these would go well with the other feature requests, so I moved it over to this thread. Thank you for sharing this detailed request @veener79 and for sharing your interest @barta2019!

I’ve done the same for your request @BeSafe. As it is a popular one, let’s compile it with the others for reinforcing value while we share these with the team :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As someone who is using the indoor stick up cameras it’s very disappointing to me that there isn’t an easy way to only record when I’m away. Competitors do this with geofencing via your phone (one option). However I’ve also got a full Ring Protect security system that seems to have zero (or near zero?) integrations with the camera…? Why can’t I set the camera to only be on when I’m away in the security system? There’s also IFTTT/Alexa integrations, but they are shallow enough that they don’t support functionality which would let me solve this problem there either…

23 Likes

To build off this last message with having a Ring Alarm system I would love to setup my cameras to interact more with it. When the system is Disarmed I could pick what cameras I want recording or disarmed. When Armed all cameras are armed.

8 Likes