Security Cams Feature Request

Hello,

I love my Ring Cameras and have recently began going ‘smart’ with my home. I do not have a Ring security system as it is not currently feasable financially. I noticed that through Alexa Guard, you can arm/disarm/change the mode of your ring security system. I would love to see the same capabilities with the ring camera modes.

1. Wired floodlight cameras need to be able to set privacy zones. The peephole camera has this, seems like an easy firmware fix.

2. Ability to turn motion sensing completely off - not just the alerts, make it so that I can effectively turn the lights off so that motion will not trigger them.

There should be sensitivity settings to allow small creatures, no small creatures(human only), anything in range. That is what my internal cameras have so my cats do not set them off.

Timestamp videos AND name the videos with the date / time of the video and name of the camera when you download them from the web interface

Also would be handy to have a bulk download option to be able to download several videos at once

The option for longer recordings would be amazing

1 Like

Different thresholds for alerts vs recordings

I would like to be able to record all motion at my camera, but I would like to be able to set a different motion zone or sensitivity settings for alerts

i.e. I don’t want to get a notification every time a squirrel or leaf moves by my camera–I do want to record those videos in case they have something valuable… but I want notifications when someone walks by my cameras

1 Like

I understand Ring is offering an alarm plan for business, but I think you should also have a Camera only plan:

• you could charge for longer term storage, 60 days isn’t enough for business retention imo. Or you could just charge in gig storage tiers. Even if after x days it was retained offline, as long as there was an online way to request that it be retreived (with a delay) from offline storage.
  • Provide Business use cameras with an “All” motion triggered recording as an option, rather than the “frequent, standard, light” frequency settings of the home models.
  • I’d like a text/email alert for first motion detected after x number of hours, time or similar logic. Main goal would be to get one email when an employee walks in to start the day. May want to add no motion detected after x number of minutes/hours while you’re at it. :wink:

Would really like to have some business looking ceiling mount dome “covered” cameras.

• Seems like the new mini cam or doorbell tech could be engineered to a dome model.
  • Would like a wider field of view if possible (even if it resulted in the fish eyed effect)
  • Less important, but it would also be nice if they were battery powered (with optional power cord) like the Stick Up cameras.

Thanks!

@YK2000 wrote:

Hello,

I would like a feature to control multiple motion zones independently.

Example:

Motion Zone 1 set to record motion (but not turn on lights or send alerts).

Motion Zone 2 set to record, turn on lights and send alerts.

Motion Zone 3 record, turn on lights, send alerts, sound alarm.

Thank you.

Agreed.
In addition to those featurs listed I would like to be able to set the motion sensitivity independantly for each zone.

1 Like

I think it would be great for ring to do a elder care pkg.
Maybe a video chat so people can see who’s talking to them. A life alert type necklace would be nice.
Maybe bigger speakers so hard of hearing can communicate.
I think that would be a big seller.

Scrolling back to find a particular date and recording takes forever. When I finally find the date and tap on the recording to view and then exit it sends me back to the current date and I have to start all over. How about a calendar for recordings where we tap on the day and all the recordings pop up. Thanks

1 Like

We use Alexa voice commands to turn our Ring alarm on and off. We would also like use Alexa voice commands to turn off the Fllodlight on our Cam light unit so we don’t have to get up in the night and get our phone out to run the Rign App. to turn it off.

Thanks

2 Likes

A legitimate use case exists where a customer would want to maintain a persistent Live View. Meaning, we would like to be able to configure the timeout session for Live View or be able to remove the timeout. Many of us purchased the StickUp cams to continuously monitor our kids playing outside or Babies (as depicted by your marketing literature). This is especially useful for sick Babies or Babies/Kids with serious medical conditions who require monitoring. The Motion alerts does not help in these situations. And of-course we can think of many more use cases for such a feature which been around for a very long time.

Please give this serious consideration if it’s not already in your product roadmap. Ring competitors offer this feature so I suspect there is lost opportunity for Ring the longer this feature is not available. Any acknowledgment would be appreciated. Thanks

2 Likes

I was gifted a New Stick Up Cam Battery a few months ago. It was awesome, until now. I live in Minnesota. We’re hitting our high for the week today at 32F, with a low of -10F a couple days ago. As you can imagin, my battery life is not doing to well. I’m looking into a getting a solar panel to charge the device when the sun is up, but my understanding is that the battery may not take a charge below 32F. So this probably won’t help me at all. Currenly I am pulling the battery and charging it over night once a week. I’d prefer to not have to do this at all. Is there a battery that can accept a charge at lower tempuratures in developement? Energy transfer can create heat and and possibly raise the temp of the battery to sufficient levels to accept a charge or even retain a charge longer. I’d really like Ring to put some priority on cold climate taylored devices. We don’t all live in sunny California and after a quick browse of this forum, I’m definitly not alone.

User would like the ability to make all ring devices sound the alarm at once. This way if user is notified of movement on a cam and after viewing the user wants to alarm the unwanted intruder. Instead of that cams single alarm the user should have a button to sound all devices everywhere so that the unwanted intruder hears the sound coming from several areas. Several alarm sounds is better then one single alarm sound. Old alarm systems have always had 1 single alarm sound device and now with today’s technology users should be able to have several alarms sounding at once.

2 Likes

I would like to be able to disable the siren completely on my Security Cam Mount hardwired version. I am concerned about it going off without me triggering it. Because I live in a community where the homes are pretty much on top of each other, a siren going off, particularly if I am not home, would be very disruptive and annoying.

Since Ring has migrated to inside the house, it would be really good to add audio detection features.

Some use cases:

1. baby room monitor - being alerted to the baby crying

2. four-legged alarm system – being alerted to barking dogs

3. fire / CO alarm detection – being alerted when the fire/CO alarm sounds

4. glass break detection – being alerted if the sound of breaking glass is heard

These aren’t always accompanied by detectable motion, so having the mic paying attention would be good, too.

Also note, this functionality is available in both Nest and Wyze products.

I’d like a feature to control turning ON the lights during motion sensing only within a specific time window.

If I’m out an about during early evening hours (after dusk) in front of the camera, I don’t want lights to be triggered.

Turning on lights DUE TO MOTION SENSING, should be controllable. I want lights to come on only between say, 1am - 4am when there’s likely a legitimate threat for intrusion, etc.

So I want a setting to say, turn on lights due to motion sensing only between start time and end time.

It would be nice, if there’s a toggle/radio button in the app that allows me to indicate that the light should be turned on/off ONLY DUE TO MOTION SENSING (since there’s already an option under “Light Settings” to leave the light constantly on/off, without motion sensing, between a certain time slot). Hope this makes sense. Thanks!

1 Like

I have the spotlight cam and would like the same option. The ability to schedule when the spotlight can be triggered. I purposely set up my landscape lighting at the front of my house so that the entire area including the front door is subtly lit when the landscape lights are on. During that time I don’t need the spotlight to come on when someone comes to the door, but when the landscape lighting goes off (e.g. 11:45 pm), that’s when I would arm the spot light to react to motion (until sunrise), but I wouldn’t expect much activity at the front door overnight.

Would love a longer power cord for the wired Indoor Camera. I want to put one up high in a room with 12 foot ceilings. The included cord is not anywhere near long enough to reach the nearest outlet and so I have to choose between awkwardly using extension cords or put it in a much less ideal location. A longer cord would be very helpful, even if it’s an after market option.

You can purchase a longer cord as long as it matches the same electric requirements. Ring doesn’t sell them but many can be found on Amazon and such.