Security Cams Feature Request

I have 4 cams all with solar power plus batteries and ring doorbell. I’ve been ripped off twice and all these cams do is show person walking up then they freaking stop. This is a quick sw fix to make recording length user option. It’s available in the wired cams. What a joke and waste of thousands of $$. Half the time when there is an alert it takes 30 seconds or more to load the darn live feed.<br>This RFE should be a p1. I see it’s been open since early last year. Clearly you don’t take our feedback seriously nor the security of our family and homes. I want a Ring Community Mgr to reply with a commit release and target GA date for this enhancement (defect IMO). Otherwise I’m switching to another vendor. This is a racket and anything but security. I’m furious twice robbed and can’t provide police anything of substance because the cams shut off and the worst is when they exit the cams don’t even detect the motion or if they do it’s like they are computerized and jump one spot and disappear. Can’t see which way they went or items they stole. Useless. I don’t recommend this product.

4 Likes

Hi Dbrecki, I wasn’t aware it was available for the wired cams, that frustrates me even more, I’m the same, 2 cameras, solar + both batteries. Yeah I don’t care how much battery it uses, that would be my problem. I’m with you, I might sell mine and look for an alternative. If I have the option of up to a 10 minute max recording with a notification every 60 seconds, or a notification every time motion is detected during that specific recording. I would be very happy. Maybe I’ll make a post suggesting these parameters and maybe peoples “Kudos” could give Ring Team an indication of the support of the idea?.

1 Like

Hello everyone, there a lot of posts including one of my own commenting on how the Spotlight Cam(Battery/Solar) would be better if it was longer adjustable. Nut no real info about what people want, maybe a suggestion in terms of parameters and peoples feedback on the post might help ring come to a decision on what’s to provide?.

I would suggest up to 10 minutes recording, adjustable.

And a notification up to every 60 seconds during that recording if motion is still active, also “Motion during recording notification time” adjustable 30-120 seconds.

Give a Kudos if you think it’s a good suggestion, or maybe make a suggestion if you have alternative ideas?. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dbrecki, fully support your recommendation. I have one camera at the front door, it’s solar and is always at 100 percent, so I can easily record for longer periods, but, in addtion to that I’m not happy with the time it takes to view the motion. Normally, whatever caused the notification has long gone by the time I get to view the video. For example, if a package is delivered to the front door and I try to observe the motion, the driver is already back in the truck pulling away. I won’t buy any more of this system and look for a different solution.

2 Likes

If you have cameras AND the security system, they should work better together… For example: Automatically turn off and on the motion alerts with the alarm. When my alarm is not set, I don’t need to be constantly told I am walking around my living room! If I have my back slider open and going in and out to my patio, the outside light and sensor keeps going on and off and filling my history log with useless notifications.

1 Like

Basically record as long as there is movement. So if 2 min of movement record for 2 min. Have a user settable timer (x seconds). If movement is not detected for x sec (say 2) then camera stops recording. That way you capture everything that moves for as long as it moves. Even now it records 30 sec but 25 sec of that is wasted most of the time.

3 Likes

Why don’t they put on box somewhere or tell you that you’ll have to pay more for the more cameras you have - seems to be a bait and switch

MikeV
150% in agreement. I think we all need to spread the word and stop this hype that Ring is Security. If the cams stop recording unless you quickly press live view to continuously record and actually capture anything of substance for the police, yet when you press live view it takes 30 sec or more to load as you watch the wheel spinning the thief is in and out and all you have if you’re lucky is a glimpse of motion but can’t see where they went or what they took because again the cam doesn’t start recording or if it does it’s like a glitch and the person is computerized out of the frame. If a response from a ring community telling me what release and what date will contain user option to set recording time I’m switching to a vendor who can. $thousands of dollars wasted. I got my home security through another vendor. My trust in Ring is depleted. I’ve been ripped off twice.

2 Likes

I’ve seen several topics on the issue of disabling recording video/audio but all the topics appear to relate to disabling via the app. My concern however is, if I can disable it via the app what prevents a hacker from re-enabling the camera?

The best solution would be if Ring would implement (at least for indoor camera’s) a physical switch to turn off the camera.

Until that occurs, can anyone from Ring identify what security prevents the camera from being operated by someone other than myself? (I understand that at a base level others can’t simply access my camera, I’m talking about more capable individuals like hackers or former staff).

Unplug it.

1 Like

I’d like the ability to set time schedules for different motion zones. For example, during the day my driveway is empty and so the zone extends to the edge of my sidewalk. However, at night my work truck is parked in the driveway and because of the camera’s perspective the truck covers much of the street. Since the motion zone stops at the sidewalk, the majority of my truck is outside of the zone. I’d like to be able to setup a zone 2 that covers my whole truck and would only be monitored from 6pm-5am.

3 Likes

I just got an indoor ring camera to replace my nest cam.

The nest cam uses your phone to turn the camera on and off. I had mine set up so that when I was away the nest cam came on and when I was at home the nest cam turned off.

Can you put this feature on your indoor cameras?

I only want my indoor camera on when I’m away.

This would be very helpful especially when you are in & out of the house on weekends and during the week when you have a day off.

I know you can schedule days & times but when you are in & out that doesn’t work.

Thanks for considering this!!

It would be nice if I can set different Motion schedules for different motion zones. For example I don’t care during the day if someone is walking on the sidewalk or driving on the road in front of my house but after 12AM I would like to have that motion zone give alerts. Right now it seems like all the motion zones would be on the same schedule.

I would like to request a feature that would solve some of the video issues - including the “black/blank” videos discussed in another thread.

It would be great if Ring provided a slot for a memory card in each of thier cameras to store video locally so that if the internet is down for whatever reason, the video is stored locally then uploaded after the internet is back up at some defined level to insure the “quality” of the video is maintained to view later. Of course this would require a hardware redesign and some additional software routines to support this request. But I think other customers would love to see this feature.

Here is my use-case scenario:

I live up in the mountains east of Seattle where there are several ski resorts. I have 6 cameras installed at my “off-grid” cabin in the woods on 9 acres of land and use a hotspot to connect to a cell tower for internet service via ATT wireless. I also have a backup Verizon hotspot. I get great bandwidth with my hotspots except during ski season on weekends where the cell towers are flooded with hundreds, if not thousands of skier’s phone data traffic. There are several ski resorts near my location. During this time, usually between the hours of 10am and 5pm, when someone trespasses on my property, I don’t have a video record of the event since no video is uploaded nor saved locally. Often under low bandwidth condtions, I get the dreaded “black” video or no notification of an event trigger by motion. This is a problem for obvious reasons.

I have the cameras to monitor my property while I am away and when I am there as well. I love how I can use replacable batteries and solar to keep them operational as much as possible. This great for me living off-grid. However, it would even be better if you offered a solution when the internet is slow or down to capture video triggered by motion with the cameras of these events as well.

Again, having video store locally would solve this problem as a backup solution when the internet is slow or down altogether for whatever reason. It would be great if the product team would consider this.

Thanks!

1 Like

Really need the ability to bulk download videos in some way.

My neighborhood has had a spike in criminal activity. I’ve had police ask me to review cameras and I am actively watching for certain things and reporting them to the police. Part of this involved events past the 60 day retention window, so that has become annoying and as such I have started a process where I have the sensitivity turned up on my cameras which triggers a lot of motion alerts. I won’t go into details but the option to only detect people isn’t sufficient(great feature though). So I’m having to manually review all motion alert vidoes (on my iphone because the inteface for reviewing vidoes is much more robust on the iphone), I star the one’s I think could be relevant for further review. Due to the retention window, I now have to also download the starred videos locally(via the windows app). This process of reviewing and downloading is taking hours per day and I’m struggling to keep ahead of the retention window. Bulk download would help with this alot. There are a few different solutions I can think of:

1. Ability to select multiple videos in the history and click download at which point it queues them and downloads them one at a time. I can see this being problamatic in a browser though so this might be a windows app only feature. I don’t think zipping them up into one download would work due to the size and backend processing needed to zip them up.

2. Windows app: If I’m signed in have an optional feature that I can enable/disable that automatically downloads/syncs all videos according to certain features/filters (maybe only starred videos) to a configured path.

Windows app: Currently I can’t even manually queue multiple downloads as your interface effectively locks until the current download finishes. The fact I actually have to open each video and click download from the viewer instead of being able to select download from the list/grid screen is annoying too. My understanding is you don’t provide an API for downloading in order to restrict access and keep the platform secure. That’s great but please provide a method for bulk download whatever the end result is.

1 Like

Thank you for posting this. Bulk download is sorely needed. In fact the poor interface with history is why I am researching other brands of security cameras for our neighborhood watch.

Just wishing there was a way to link the spotlight camera siren to sound when the ring alarm system alarm sounds. Should be an easy software adjustment right?

1 Like

Our Rign Floodlignt Camera is used to monitor a patio area, and the patio is busy with authorized individuals up until about midnight. The alerts are set for 1AM to 5AM, and that setting works fine.

The problem is after dark, and before midnight. People are present and the unit continuously senses movement and turns on the lights and starts recording. The lights are annoying and the recordings are useless.

Has there been any software update to allow the lights & recording to be disabled at the same time alerts are disabled? I’ve thought about putting a sock over the sensor, but there’s got to be a better way.

1 Like

On my Spotlight Cam Wired I can choose different zones to really define where I want my alerts to come from. The problem is that each zone just triggers the same motion alert. This means the extra zones are really only used to make one custom shaped single zone.

My use case is for cameras in Front and Backyard. I want a large zone for general motion that I can have record but not trigger a motion alert and then I want a smaller zone closer to the house (or near the shed) that can trigger an alert saying someone is on the porch or approaching the shed that will also record but perhaps trigger some lights along with the recording.

I don’t think this exists now, but is it in development?

It would be nice to have battery status on the desktop version like the mobile app has…