Security Cams Feature Request

I would like to request a feature that would solve some of the video issues - including the “black/blank” videos discussed in another thread.

It would be great if Ring provided a slot for a memory card in each of thier cameras to store video locally so that if the internet is down for whatever reason, the video is stored locally then uploaded after the internet is back up at some defined level to insure the “quality” of the video is maintained to view later. Of course this would require a hardware redesign and some additional software routines to support this request. But I think other customers would love to see this feature.

Here is my use-case scenario:

I live up in the mountains east of Seattle where there are several ski resorts. I have 6 cameras installed at my “off-grid” cabin in the woods on 9 acres of land and use a hotspot to connect to a cell tower for internet service via ATT wireless. I also have a backup Verizon hotspot. I get great bandwidth with my hotspots except during ski season on weekends where the cell towers are flooded with hundreds, if not thousands of skier’s phone data traffic. There are several ski resorts near my location. During this time, usually between the hours of 10am and 5pm, when someone trespasses on my property, I don’t have a video record of the event since no video is uploaded nor saved locally. Often under low bandwidth condtions, I get the dreaded “black” video or no notification of an event trigger by motion. This is a problem for obvious reasons.

I have the cameras to monitor my property while I am away and when I am there as well. I love how I can use replacable batteries and solar to keep them operational as much as possible. This great for me living off-grid. However, it would even be better if you offered a solution when the internet is slow or down to capture video triggered by motion with the cameras of these events as well.

Again, having video store locally would solve this problem as a backup solution when the internet is slow or down altogether for whatever reason. It would be great if the product team would consider this.

Thanks!

1 Like