Security Cams Feature Request

@Marley_Ring if I could have done all powered version’s I would have. My one camera is about 30’ away from a plug and my other is over 70’ away from the nearest plug. You do not make anything that has that long of a cord.

My old Arlo camera used 4 123 batteries and they had some of the settings we are asking for. This is the only large thing I am not happy with on the Ring Software. Geofencing would be nice, but it is not a must.

2 Likes

I made a feature request. We want the ability to enable advanced options so that we have more precise control over recording.

1 Like

Hi @mackhax0r please take a look at our Community Guidelines at your earliest convenience. I highly encourage you to give our support team a call as they are able to offer guidance for some of the concerns you mentioned. Please remember, althought the Community has great tips and tricks, this is not a support channel and we encourage you to contact the team that is available 24/7 via phone, chat or email.

1 Like

Hi there!

I would like to make two suggestions for the ring spotlight cams or any other rings this may pertain to via the phone app.

My first suggestion would be to add a feature where we can actually set the exact time frame we would like the lights to come on when motion activated instead of just when it gets dark. For example, I don’t want the lights to activate with motion starting at 9pm when it gets dark, but only between 1am-4am.

My second suggestion is a way to be able to select a day from a calendar or utilize a search option so you can refer back to previous dates recordings. It is so difficult to have to scroll back through so many days of recordings if you need to look back for something. For example, it’s Saturday and your neighbor tells you that their car was accessed on the previous Tuesday night and you need to look back to see if your camera caught anything.

I really like your ring product so keep up the good work. Thank you for considering our suggestions!

5 Likes

In general I’m very satisfied with my two ring floodlight cams.

I miss a feature that is present in my two “Blink” cameras, and that is the possibility to disarm all cameras in the system with one click.

At the moment with Ring I can disable motion notifications in the app but the system is still armed and my wife will continue to get the notifications unless she also switches them off in her app. This means that once I have three cameras and a ring doorbell installed, we shall have to block notifications 8 times every time one of us gets home: switching it off for cameras one by one, and on both mobile devices. A schedule is of little use to us as there is no fixed pattern to when we are at home.

So my request is simple: as with the Blink cameras, one switch in the app that disarms the whole system for all users.

13 Likes

Much like the request in the post above, we have 1 x ring door bell and 3 x battery cams around the house and all work well. When we are all home I just want to turn off notifications (apart from an actual “ring” alert from the doorbell). A single all notiifications on / off would work, or even better geofence all the phones in the house so notifications stop when anyone is home?

11 Likes

I want the ability to reboot it remotely.

3 Likes

Hi, I have the powered spotlight cam at the front of my house. In the mornings the sun is shinning at the front. When someone walks past, the sun casts a shadow of the person, which sets of the cameras. I am sure the clever developers at Ring must be able to code an algorithm for detecting shadows? I don’t want to compromise the alarm by reducing the area it detects.

Also in the Ring app when deleting the events, I don’t think you need to make the screen blank with the pop up message appears. Just make the pop up message appear over the top of the events. But this is very minor.

2 Likes

The Ring Doorbell 2 is loaded with ring chimes, but there aren’t so many for the basic Ring Chime doorbell. I don’t need the Ring Pro Doorbell Extender as I have good wifi coverage all over my house for all my cameras and doorbell. I want more ring tone options for the the model I have.

I just installed two wired floodlight came and would like to be able to control the lights through Alexa as I can control my other ring smart lights. It would also be nice if there could be separate motion settings for when the ring alarm is armed and disarmed.

1 Like

Two features I would love:

1. Remote reboot of cameras via the app. I repositioned my wireless mesh APs recently and it took a massive round of pulling and reseating batteries to get things matched to the nearest AP again

2. For battery powered devices would love to see a preview of battery level (the icon or %) on the Dashboard in the app next to each image preview or in the title bar. With multiple battery cams having to click into each camera settings is a bit tedious.

4 Likes

I second this request. I wrote in length in another post and agree that we need to be able to control when the camera’s are active and inactive. Please consider giving us the ability to use them like other alarm modules (Home/Away) and record when we are away. Will help with battery life.

9 Likes

I would think that the feature of being able to turn the cameras off and on would be a top priority for Ring. Just think of all the data storage space they could save. I know they have been storing 2 hours of me mowing my lawn every week. If only half of their users could turn off their cameras for only 15 minutes each week, they could save quite a bit.

9 Likes
  1. Motion Scheduling (more like Motion Block Notification) should ask what motion zone (all or specific zone selected) the rule applies to.

This is important, because I may want to block out my custom “Street” zone at certain times, or my custom “Sidewalk” zone at other times. But I may never want to block my “Driveway” zone from sending notifications.

1. A “Short Chirp” sound or other quick Alert Tone would be nice. This “Chirp” could then be tied into motion rules when a zone is tripped. So, for example, burglar starts approaching home at 1am… camera spots motion and sends a quick 2 second “Chirp” to scare off intruder before they even consider getting any closer.

2. Option to turn off Blue Light on Camera.

7 Likes

I would really like the ability to dim the floodlight cams lights.

On one of my floodlights that we have on all night the angle that I need the light positioned and the fact that there is a slope leading up to it causes it to be a blinding light in people’s eyes when coming up our driveway.

If there were a way to dim the lights that are on because of a schedule that would be really helpful for those of us that need to run the lights all night and find your required led lights to be too bright. Plus it would save energy.

A lot of the times people put up a floodlight cam it’s to replace a existing always on dusk to dawn floodlight that before we went SMART with the ring floodlight we could easily change the bulb to adjust the brightness and that’s not possible with the ring floodlights. I assume I would void the warranty if I replaced the light fixture with a traditional light bulb socket that would allow me to change to dimmer bulb. This really should be a option if you don’t allow dimming. Or in the alternative sell a ring floodlight without the required led fixture installed allowing us to customize ones lighting options.

Thank you in advance for any consideration you give to this thought.

1 Like
  1. There should be a setting to disable the infrared lights so the camera can be placed behind glass. At night the camera becomes useless if behind glass because the IR just reflects.

2. There should be a setting to rotate the image. I have monted one of my cameras sideways in order to fit in a specific location. Upside down, sideways, backwards . . . image rotation.

1 & 2 above are done by just about every camera manufacturer out there. I am surprised they were not in the first release.

1. The pause setting should allow you to stop recording, not just notifications. Privacy matters. Make it an option. And allow us to turn it off until we turn it on again, not just a few hours at a time, as an option.

2. Integrate with Ring Alarm. Let the alarm siren also sound on the cameras, let the cameras record based on the alarm mode (only when away for example), let the camera motion set off a chime in the alarm (just like the window or door chime) so we instantly know without carrying a phone around the house. Those are the obvious ones that come to mind.

OK, having said all that . . . I like the POE sitck up cam. POE is a must, image and sound quality is good, setup is super easy. The motion detection is sophisticated and better than any other camera I have used…

1 Like

After seeing the release of the two new cameras and the one being for indoor only I realy hope there will be a way to disable the camera in the very near future. I would get one or two of the indoor camera’s, but not unless you are able to disable them. If they can be disabled via Geofencing that would be best.

1 Like

It has potential but get the basics right.

1. Time limited recordings - seriously. If you have movement, DONT STOP RECORDING!!! The time out should stop AFTER the LAST movement detection. NOT DURING. Wow!! Big fail!! Why should you have to live view to record everything??

2. If the unit stops recording for any reason (in the current case time outs) and there is a new motion detected THEN START RECORDING AGAIN IMMEDIATELY! Why would you wait? Someone has a serious fettish with time outs.

3. Add an option during live viewing to record. You have a camera, why can i not tell it to record or not. Just because you live view doesnt mean you want it to record. You could save lots of storage space.

4. Can you even snap a photo during live view? Or snap a photo during watching a recording?

5. The Windows App - I have it running on my desktop so I can view what is going on at any time but it times out! Why? Like above, just want to view what is going on around premesis, just record if there is movement or I click the record button.

6. Allow viewing of multi cameras, not just one camera

7. add live view to the Web Browser.

To put the above in perspective, I had the camera on the drive, it recorded 1.06 mins and cut out as the person put something in the boot. Didnt show what they did after that or the car even leaving right in front on the camera!!! And it was not sensitivity settings - it was the poor design to limit recordings to time rather than actual activity happening.

There are other features I can think of to add but these are what I would call basics. Not recording because a time out has been reached is just plain dumb!

I am testing with one camera - just purchased - not impressed, wont be purchasing the other 3 I need unless this gets fixed as it is not fit for purpose if it does not record ALL motion for the full length of the activity in progress. Please fix this asap and can you provide an ETA?

13 Likes

Amazon Fire TV App for camera viewing. It would be nice to have a TV app that would let you continually monitor all your cameras. Like on most NVR based camera systems, where you can watch 4 or 8 cameras on a monitor. One easy way to do this with the Ring cameras would be with a Fire TV app using your LAN. No external bandwidth needed.

1 Like

The timeout recording limitation renders this security camera basically useless. I have seen many posts on the “Neighbors” site where a crime may have been committed but the camera stopped recording and never actually recorded the crime! Criminals have become smarter than the Ring system and trigger the camera and wait for it to timeout before committing the crime.

9 Likes