Security Cams Feature Request

Has Ring considered creating and selling a light anc camera to be installed atop a lamp post? I have a door bell camera which has some visual area blockage due to the foyer type nature of our front porch. I have a driveway floodlight camera as well. With both, I still have significant gaps of vision out front but I do have a lamp post that would be a great location for the entirety of my frontage.

1 Like

There should be an app provision to completely disable motion recording on Spotlight cams. I have read several other requests for this functionality but thus far do not find a resolution offered by RING. As one reply recommended, I deleted the app on my iPhone and reinstalled it but there is no toggle switch present above the motion alerts toggle switch to completely disable motion recording. This seems like a simple software update; not sure why there is reluctance to make it happen.

Is there an extension cord for the Indoor Cam? Unfortunately the cord length with the power supply is not long enough for where I would like to install the Indoor Cam.

@jong34 wrote:

Is there an extension cord for the Indoor Cam? Unfortunately the cord length with the power supply is not long enough for where I would like to install the Indoor Cam.

The Indoor Cam can use any Micro USB cord and most USB power adapters. Anything that would work for Nest Cam or Wyze Cam will work for this.

Thanks! Do you know if I need to get a 5W, 10W, or 12W USB power adapter?

Play it safe, go 12W.

I agree that solar cam owners (especially with dual batteries) should have options for extending recording length.

My sola batteries are always more than 90% charged. The extra recording time would have little effect on their state of charge.

I’ve set the frequency higher and now passing squirrels set the thing off all day long.

I agree with the first two points about the 30 second recording and the delay afterward. Should be adjustable.

I have 4 cams all with solar power plus batteries and ring doorbell. I’ve been ripped off twice and all these cams do is show person walking up then they freaking stop. This is a quick sw fix to make recording length user option. It’s available in the wired cams. What a joke and waste of thousands of $$. Half the time when there is an alert it takes 30 seconds or more to load the darn live feed.<br>This RFE should be a p1. I see it’s been open since early last year. Clearly you don’t take our feedback seriously nor the security of our family and homes. I want a Ring Community Mgr to reply with a commit release and target GA date for this enhancement (defect IMO). Otherwise I’m switching to another vendor. This is a racket and anything but security. I’m furious twice robbed and can’t provide police anything of substance because the cams shut off and the worst is when they exit the cams don’t even detect the motion or if they do it’s like they are computerized and jump one spot and disappear. Can’t see which way they went or items they stole. Useless. I don’t recommend this product.

4 Likes

Hi Dbrecki, I wasn’t aware it was available for the wired cams, that frustrates me even more, I’m the same, 2 cameras, solar + both batteries. Yeah I don’t care how much battery it uses, that would be my problem. I’m with you, I might sell mine and look for an alternative. If I have the option of up to a 10 minute max recording with a notification every 60 seconds, or a notification every time motion is detected during that specific recording. I would be very happy. Maybe I’ll make a post suggesting these parameters and maybe peoples “Kudos” could give Ring Team an indication of the support of the idea?.

1 Like

Hello everyone, there a lot of posts including one of my own commenting on how the Spotlight Cam(Battery/Solar) would be better if it was longer adjustable. Nut no real info about what people want, maybe a suggestion in terms of parameters and peoples feedback on the post might help ring come to a decision on what’s to provide?.

I would suggest up to 10 minutes recording, adjustable.

And a notification up to every 60 seconds during that recording if motion is still active, also “Motion during recording notification time” adjustable 30-120 seconds.

Give a Kudos if you think it’s a good suggestion, or maybe make a suggestion if you have alternative ideas?. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dbrecki, fully support your recommendation. I have one camera at the front door, it’s solar and is always at 100 percent, so I can easily record for longer periods, but, in addtion to that I’m not happy with the time it takes to view the motion. Normally, whatever caused the notification has long gone by the time I get to view the video. For example, if a package is delivered to the front door and I try to observe the motion, the driver is already back in the truck pulling away. I won’t buy any more of this system and look for a different solution.

2 Likes

If you have cameras AND the security system, they should work better together… For example: Automatically turn off and on the motion alerts with the alarm. When my alarm is not set, I don’t need to be constantly told I am walking around my living room! If I have my back slider open and going in and out to my patio, the outside light and sensor keeps going on and off and filling my history log with useless notifications.

1 Like

Basically record as long as there is movement. So if 2 min of movement record for 2 min. Have a user settable timer (x seconds). If movement is not detected for x sec (say 2) then camera stops recording. That way you capture everything that moves for as long as it moves. Even now it records 30 sec but 25 sec of that is wasted most of the time.

3 Likes

Why don’t they put on box somewhere or tell you that you’ll have to pay more for the more cameras you have - seems to be a bait and switch

MikeV
150% in agreement. I think we all need to spread the word and stop this hype that Ring is Security. If the cams stop recording unless you quickly press live view to continuously record and actually capture anything of substance for the police, yet when you press live view it takes 30 sec or more to load as you watch the wheel spinning the thief is in and out and all you have if you’re lucky is a glimpse of motion but can’t see where they went or what they took because again the cam doesn’t start recording or if it does it’s like a glitch and the person is computerized out of the frame. If a response from a ring community telling me what release and what date will contain user option to set recording time I’m switching to a vendor who can. $thousands of dollars wasted. I got my home security through another vendor. My trust in Ring is depleted. I’ve been ripped off twice.

2 Likes

I’ve seen several topics on the issue of disabling recording video/audio but all the topics appear to relate to disabling via the app. My concern however is, if I can disable it via the app what prevents a hacker from re-enabling the camera?

The best solution would be if Ring would implement (at least for indoor camera’s) a physical switch to turn off the camera.

Until that occurs, can anyone from Ring identify what security prevents the camera from being operated by someone other than myself? (I understand that at a base level others can’t simply access my camera, I’m talking about more capable individuals like hackers or former staff).

Unplug it.

1 Like